Teaching in Dubai

Old Nov 28th 2021, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Saminster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Dubai

Hi hope you are well, I'm contemplating a move to Dubai. I say contemplate, we've been discussing for a year now.
We are a married teaching couple, with a toddler. Which is why I'm wondering is this a good idea? We will both be in full time work and our little one hopefully at the same school.
In our mid to late 30s. I feel like it's now or never we were supposed to do this in our 20s but had family issues here which I feel aren't holding us back to move now.
looking at GEMS schools as a first choice if successful. Ideally somewhere I know my LO will have a good education too.

An issue we also have is we have a house on mortgage here and we were thinking to leave it as it is for at least a few months (maybe have a family member stay there) In case we change our mind or if things fall through and then maybe rent or sell.

Is there any other families (or if you know of anyones story) on here who might have some advice or caution? It will be gratefully received. 🙏
Old Nov 29th 2021, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Great place for bringing up young kids! Do It!
Old Nov 29th 2021, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Hi there and thank you Connie85 for your response I'm not sure why it was deleted as spam, luckily I saw the original message as a copy was mailed to me. To answer your question we are currently and have always been UK based. I agree the younger she is the more like my little one is to adapt to being away from her extended family and friends etc, and the schooling surely has to beat the UKs system which I as a parent feel isn't doing well by her (very inquisitive and loves to learn) at all. The schools you mentioned aren't schools I'd looked at but will now research. Currently only GEMS seems to regularly advertise and a community school is on TES atm as well.
thank you so much for your reply. If there is anyone who did make the move with family in tow id love to hear of your experiences. Many thanks
Old Nov 29th 2021, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by flares
Great place for bringing up young kids! Do It!
This is great to hear. My daughter is and will be an only child so I'm hoping there will be opportunity to make friends both in and out of a school setting 🤞
Old Nov 29th 2021, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saminster
Hi there and thank you Connie85 for your response I'm not sure why it was deleted as spam
Because the person who replied to you is a spammer. They've been banned so please don't take anything they said seriously, they were just posting rubbish to get their post count up so they could post a link.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point

Gems is a weird place to be honest. I believe staff attrition rate is fairly high around 20%. That’s probably why you’re seeing all those adds.

from a parents perspective, When we were looking for a spot for our eldest we looked at a few GEMs and they were full of BS. All show and not much substance. They’re focused towards families from the subcontinent and really shove how “British” GEMs are in your face, which is quite difficult to appreciate when you have a scouser taking you around for a tour (no offence to any scousers on here).

Some of my colleagues send their kids to GEMs and love it. So it really is hit and miss.

Good luck.

Old Dec 1st 2021, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
Gems is a weird place to be honest. I believe staff attrition rate is fairly high around 20%. That’s probably why you’re seeing all those adds.

from a parents perspective, When we were looking for a spot for our eldest we looked at a few GEMs and they were full of BS. All show and not much substance. They’re focused towards families from the subcontinent and really shove how “British” GEMs are in your face, which is quite difficult to appreciate when you have a scouser taking you around for a tour (no offence to any scousers on here).

Some of my colleagues send their kids to GEMs and love it. So it really is hit and miss.

Good luck.

Thanks for this! I had thought there must be a reason why only GEMS comes up so regularly and information like this is really useful!
Old Dec 5th 2021, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

GEMS are the big provider out here with dozens of schools. The rating of which is the important part - higher rated they sell at a higher price as they're 'premium' or lower priced to be 'mid-market' etc.
People often prefer or fancy the non-profit schools as they are 'less money-grabbing' but it's much of a much-ness.

What do you both teach?
GEMS are a great employer in terms of general benefits and making sure you're sorted, but they aren't flexible. Do provide good benefits for a married couple who both teach, especially if you both work for them. It's a lower risk strategy to get out here with one of the big boys, that's for sure. The Mrs did it with me 10 years ago and has stayed in GEMS ever since, progressing a lot.

They employ great teachers, outstanding world-beaters and utter ****ing monsters - like all the schools out here. So you should expect to work hard, work with some great people, work with some idiots, generally have to deal with more pleasant kids but the occasional tosser and be peppered by nagging, bored, stay-at-home parents who have nothing better to do than be at school 24/7 - which has it's upsides obviously too, they do a lot to support but also, the moaning.

Would say it's a ****ing banger of an idea to move with a little on, the quality of life will be worth it alone. If there are any schools in particular you're curious about, I'd be happy to try and help. I'm not a teacher but she knows everything about schools here I reckon
Old Dec 5th 2021, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scamp
GEMS are the big provider out here with dozens of schools. The rating of which is the important part - higher rated they sell at a higher price as they're 'premium' or lower priced to be 'mid-market' etc.
People often prefer or fancy the non-profit schools as they are 'less money-grabbing' but it's much of a much-ness.

What do you both teach?
GEMS are a great employer in terms of general benefits and making sure you're sorted, but they aren't flexible. Do provide good benefits for a married couple who both teach, especially if you both work for them. It's a lower risk strategy to get out here with one of the big boys, that's for sure. The Mrs did it with me 10 years ago and has stayed in GEMS ever since, progressing a lot.

They employ great teachers, outstanding world-beaters and utter ****ing monsters - like all the schools out here. So you should expect to work hard, work with some great people, work with some idiots, generally have to deal with more pleasant kids but the occasional tosser and be peppered by nagging, bored, stay-at-home parents who have nothing better to do than be at school 24/7 - which has it's upsides obviously too, they do a lot to support but also, the moaning.

Would say it's a ****ing banger of an idea to move with a little on, the quality of life will be worth it alone. If there are any schools in particular you're curious about, I'd be happy to try and help. I'm not a teacher but she knows everything about schools here I reckon
this has been amazing in terms of advice. we both currently work for a UK academy which has been pretty grim in some ways especially as we can compare it to the good old days being as both of us have been around for around 10 years now. However I feel this may mean we are already kind of prepared for the hard work and expectations as well as the delightful people you meet along the way - I know exactly what you mean. We both teach humanities subjects. Ideally would love to both work for the same academy as it means we will all be together and be able to support each other if need be as well.
although it will be a bit of a hard one to do parents evening which will be the same day with my little one on top - something to discuss with the academy I guess.

The part you mentioned about going with a little one has made my day - it is my main worry. I want her to have the best education. I think I'm just a little worries as a parent that due to the demanding nature of schools in dubai, with both of at it, will we be able to fully support her. In the UK I've been part time for some of her baby years and my family have been really supportive in terms of collecting her or dropping her off when I've been busy- something we won't have in Dubai.

Thank you for the time you took to both read and respond in such useful detail to my post ❤
Old Dec 5th 2021, 10:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SandyMcSand
... really shove how “British” GEMs are in your face, which is quite difficult to appreciate when you have a scouser (sic) taking you around for a tour (no offence to any scousers (sic) on here).
Are you suggesting that Scousers are not British? Under what interpretation of your words, could offence not be inferred?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Are you suggesting that Scousers are not British? Under what interpretation of your words, could offence not be inferred?
No offence to the bindippers was meant.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
No offence to the bindippers was meant.
What does that mean?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 5:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Saminster
this has been amazing in terms of advice. we both currently work for a UK academy which has been pretty grim in some ways especially as we can compare it to the good old days being as both of us have been around for around 10 years now. However I feel this may mean we are already kind of prepared for the hard work and expectations as well as the delightful people you meet along the way - I know exactly what you mean. We both teach humanities subjects. Ideally would love to both work for the same academy as it means we will all be together and be able to support each other if need be as well.
although it will be a bit of a hard one to do parents evening which will be the same day with my little one on top - something to discuss with the academy I guess.

The part you mentioned about going with a little one has made my day - it is my main worry. I want her to have the best education. I think I'm just a little worries as a parent that due to the demanding nature of schools in dubai, with both of at it, will we be able to fully support her. In the UK I've been part time for some of her baby years and my family have been really supportive in terms of collecting her or dropping her off when I've been busy- something we won't have in Dubai.

Thank you for the time you took to both read and respond in such useful detail to my post ❤
TES website is the way to go for jobs in general. GEMS website will have lots too. Main time for recruiting is coming up as they issue new contracts and teachers have to respond. Jobs come out in Jan/Feb I believe - happy to take your CVs to the Mrs to share internally if you wish, but would only be passing them on, no promises

Kids get a sick experience out here - they're swimming competitively, playing fixtures, taking part in plays, singing in choirs, doing all sorts.....in primary school. It's mental what they get to do and the other nationalities, cultures and languages they interact with from an early age. Typically very, very new facilities, lots of access to tech, equipment and all that jazz.

She'll be fine, I know teachers who work 16hours a day (the mrs) and I know some who do the minimum because they have young families. It's a balance. THey'll take a pound of flesh if you're pushing and working hard and seeking progression. If you want to turn up, deliver, go home and repeat, you'll get the opportunity to do that as well - not every teacher wants to be an administrator in a senior role; they want to teach....obviously!

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Scousers aren't even human, technically.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Hello guys. Me again but with another dilemma.
My husband and I have both now secured positions in Dubai for September 2022.
however my husbands school required him to come earlier due to a staff shortage and I felt this would be a great way of getting our foot in and he could see what it is like- testing the waters as it were before the rest of us make a jump.
So what has happened is that he went all alone and is flabbergasted at the appalling way in which he has been treated.
examples include the head of department after his first week there giving him a list of tasks as long as my arm. All stuff that was clearly his own jobs which he didnt do
they do learning walks on him every day and tell him regularly how awful he is when he is in fact outstanding or has been for just under a decade here in the UK.
in private settings they talk at him and tell him not to interrupt if he has a question, ask him why he didnt say excuse me when he walked past them etc etc
he has put up with this for 2 months now but to be honest this behaviour began after the first week.

So Ive advised him to quit as soon as he can and return home. My question is, is this normal in Dubai schools as I am now rethinking my decision to come out. Yes my daughter will have a good quality of education but her parents will be sent to an early grave, what's the point of earning tax free when this is how you are treated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.