Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

simcalreet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

I'm starting a job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of July, working in the musaffah industrial district and most likely living in a hotel on yas island for the first few months until I find my feet? Does anyone know how practical it is to get around by taxi for the first month until I sort a car out after my first wages??
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by simcalreet
I'm starting a job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of July, working in the musaffah industrial district and most likely living in a hotel on yas island for the first few months until I find my feet? Does anyone know how practical it is to get around by taxi for the first month until I sort a car out after my first wages??
There are gazillions of taxis. I expect that some even hang around the hotels on Yas Island, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting one in the morning and I assume that most drivers won't have a problem taking you back to Yas in the evening either.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

simcalreet is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks! Are they an expensive way of getting around?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be around 25-35 Dhms from Yas to Musaffah, depending where you are there. One way fare. Could be expensive over the week unless the company picks up the tab.

There is a more than reasonable serviced apartments in Mohammed Bin Zayed City called Sahara Suites, in the Mazyat Mall block, which may be worth looking at and is much closer to Musaffah.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

600 535353 is the call centre number and I find that they send cabs within 5 minutes. There is a 5AED charge on top for this service, but it is great if you are somewhere where finding a cab on the street is difficult.

You could also try and find a cab driver that you like and do a deal with them to pick you up/drop you off each day for a fixed monthly fee. I did this for a while when I first came to Abu Dhabi.

Taxis are fine, but I prefer the flexibility of having a car. You could hire one if you have an international license - some good bargains on for the summer. This means that all the insurance and hassle is already covered and you have the car available for those wonderful jaunts to Mussafah!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

If you do drive, be extra careful in Musaffah; driving standards there are much worse than in Abu Dhabi city, and sometimes are even worse than Sharjah.

The fact that 90% of vehicles there are commercial vehicles or company cars doesnt help either.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
It's going to be around 25-35 Dhms from Yas to Musaffah, depending where you are there. One way fare. Could be expensive over the week unless the company picks up the tab.

There is a more than reasonable serviced apartments in Mohammed Bin Zayed City called Sahara Suites, in the Mazyat Mall block, which may be worth looking at and is much closer to Musaffah.
I think it would be more than for a fare. I did kcb to mbz and it was like 35 dhs so suspect it would be a little more.