British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Taxi's in Abu Dhabi? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/taxis-abu-dhabi-721547/)

simcalreet Jun 19th 2011 12:50 pm

Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

I'm starting a job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of July, working in the musaffah industrial district and most likely living in a hotel on yas island for the first few months until I find my feet? Does anyone know how practical it is to get around by taxi for the first month until I sort a car out after my first wages??

csdf Jun 19th 2011 1:15 pm

Re: Taxi's in Abu Dhabi?

Originally Posted by simcalreet (Post 9442463)
I'm starting a job in Abu Dhabi at the beginning of July, working in the musaffah industrial district and most likely living in a hotel on yas island for the first few months until I find my feet? Does anyone know how practical it is to get around by taxi for the first month until I sort a car out after my first wages??

There are gazillions of taxis. I expect that some even hang around the hotels on Yas Island, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting one in the morning and I assume that most drivers won't have a problem taking you back to Yas in the evening either.

simcalreet Jun 19th 2011 1:27 pm

Ok thanks! Are they an expensive way of getting around?

Oyibopeppeh Jun 19th 2011 3:58 pm

It's going to be around 25-35 Dhms from Yas to Musaffah, depending where you are there. One way fare. Could be expensive over the week unless the company picks up the tab.

There is a more than reasonable serviced apartments in Mohammed Bin Zayed City called Sahara Suites, in the Mazyat Mall block, which may be worth looking at and is much closer to Musaffah.

Tillybean Jun 20th 2011 5:25 am

600 535353 is the call centre number and I find that they send cabs within 5 minutes. There is a 5AED charge on top for this service, but it is great if you are somewhere where finding a cab on the street is difficult.

You could also try and find a cab driver that you like and do a deal with them to pick you up/drop you off each day for a fixed monthly fee. I did this for a while when I first came to Abu Dhabi.

Taxis are fine, but I prefer the flexibility of having a car. You could hire one if you have an international license - some good bargains on for the summer. This means that all the insurance and hassle is already covered and you have the car available for those wonderful jaunts to Mussafah!

Maxima Jun 20th 2011 6:10 am

If you do drive, be extra careful in Musaffah; driving standards there are much worse than in Abu Dhabi city, and sometimes are even worse than Sharjah.

The fact that 90% of vehicles there are commercial vehicles or company cars doesnt help either.

busybee2 Jun 20th 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9442649)
It's going to be around 25-35 Dhms from Yas to Musaffah, depending where you are there. One way fare. Could be expensive over the week unless the company picks up the tab.

There is a more than reasonable serviced apartments in Mohammed Bin Zayed City called Sahara Suites, in the Mazyat Mall block, which may be worth looking at and is much closer to Musaffah.

I think it would be more than for a fare. I did kcb to mbz and it was like 35 dhs so suspect it would be a little more.