Reload this Page >

The Tax man has his eye on you

The Tax man has his eye on you

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Tax man has his eye on you

Originally Posted by Edo
ah i was thinking to leave the country cuz of these taxes. Why take the hassle if i cant get away anyway
Good thinking so please stay where you are. If only thousands of others felt the same way...
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Edo
ah i was thinking to leave the country cuz of these taxes. Why take the hassle if i cant get away anyway
You could get out now before the new rules kick in. I am assuming (hoping) that they cannot make the rules retrospective.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:53 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yeah, especially as I'd imagine that by default all British expats have strong ties to Britain - er, nationality, family, culture... let alone keeping up professional subscriptions, etc...

Anyhow, I don't believe the hype. How could they enforce it?
I remember this coming up about 20 years ago and the labour party said we would have to show tax returns when renewing passports.
Ok, a long wait but they factored in that we need to renew our passports a lot more often than a UK resident.

Anyway, if it's good enough for the Yanks it must be good enough for us
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:04 am
Banned

J0nah is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway, if it's good enough for the Yanks it must be good enough for us[/QUOTE]

That is a really good point....we follow the Yanks into unneccesary wars so why not taxation
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:19 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Compare and contrast Lionheart's response to 954RR's.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J0nah
Anyway, if it's good enough for the Yanks it must be good enough for us
That is a really good point....we follow the Yanks into unneccesary wars so why not taxation[/QUOTE]

The American system of being able to earn $87k tax free, with all earings over liable to tax is still resented.....just like thier wars. But given we are a small (an largely inactive) portion of the electorate, a similar system may well indeed be introduced for us as we are pretty insignificant politcally, but not financially.... Death and taxes eh?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 7:58 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Good thinking so please stay where you are. If only thousands of others felt the same way...
No, I've thought of a better solution overnight. I'll give up my British nationality to avoid HMRC sneaking unnecessarily into my money and life
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
No, I've thought of a better solution overnight. I'll give up my British nationality to avoid HMRC sneaking unnecessarily into my money and life

you're going to have to have some sort of nationality though and seeing as most nations are keen on getting taxes, I can't realistically see this improving the situation. Of course, you could always try on becoming a Saudi
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkieie
Of course, you could always try on becoming a Saudi
Actually I like your idea. At least being a Saudi I wont have to pay silly taxes.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edo
Actually I like your idea. At least being a Saudi I wont have to pay silly taxes.
I wouldn't mind being one if it meant being a part of the royal family, but I wouldn't fancy being one of their downtrodden 'lower-classes'
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:08 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by monkieie
I wouldn't mind being one if it meant being a part of the royal family, but I wouldn't fancy being one of their downtrodden 'lower-classes'
Yeah, but then I wouldnt have thought of leaving Britain if I was an 'honourable' MP who had access to all those public funds to claim in expenses one way or the other.

Last edited by Edo; Jun 17th 2009 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I best become a Russian.