Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Tax man has his eye on you

The Tax man has his eye on you

Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about
Default The Tax man has his eye on you

My sister sent this link which indicates that HMRC is looking to expates to pay for the bailout back home.

http://www.accountancyage.com/accoun...-non-residents
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:07 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Tax man has his eye on you

I would guess the easiest link to home would be if you send money back on a regular basis to pay monthly bills, watch this space eh
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That is nothing new. Just more scaremongering.

-
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

monkieie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote,
"Now, HMRC advises that non-residents' lifestyles will be examined to see if they retain strong association with Britain in assessing whether they should be exempt from UK tax."

I can't really believe that they would be able to collar ex-pats from abroad for the taxes - by going back on your hols once or twice a year doesn't really correlate to having "strong association with "Britain". Otherwise, where would we go from there? Would they contact every Brit who has ever lived in the UK and has since then lived in a foreign country?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:26 pm
Banned

J0nah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monkieie
Quote,
"Now, HMRC advises that non-residents' lifestyles will be examined to see if they retain strong association with Britain in assessing whether they should be exempt from UK tax."

I can't really believe that they would be able to collar ex-pats from abroad for the taxes - by going back on your hols once or twice a year doesn't really correlate to having "strong association with "Britain". Otherwise, where would we go from there? Would they contact every Brit who has ever lived in the UK and has since then lived in a foreign country?
As Brits we are assessible to Inheritance Tax no matter where in the world our assets are, so some gimp in Whitehall probably came up with the idea of Income Tax being assessible no matter where we earn our money.

IHT is easier to police cos we need probate granted before assets are released to our estate and all that, but I can't imagine it would be so easy to police our income overseas, especially in Dubai where there is no double taxation agreements or exchange controls...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

This just reminds me of one of the reasons I left several years ago - flippin' nanny state that seems to have the God given right to stick their nose into every part of your life and then bleed you dry. How on earth can HMRC think have the mandate/right to examine our lifestyles? Ding-a-ling "privacy" issues, especially looking into stuff like club membership. I agree - probably more scaremongering - I hope.....

Now, if they would only focus on their own operations, like actually paying me my tax rebate they calulated I was due several months ago....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weescot
Now, if they would only focus on their own operations, like actually paying me my tax rebate they calulated I was due several months ago....
Aha but they always excel at that, don't they? Quick enough to demand their pound of flesh but when it comes to coughing up a rebate...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:11 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Someone has to pay for all these MP's expenses.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:57 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

ah i was thinking to leave the country cuz of these taxes. Why take the hassle if i cant get away anyway
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Edo
ah i was thinking to leave the country cuz of these taxes. Why take the hassle if i cant get away anyway
don't worry - most countries are pretty good at fleecing the taxpayers. I've been living in Germany for 16yrs now and the Garmans are really good at it. The most deadly sin here is to be caught at tax evasion - much worse than rape or murder
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:00 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, especially as I'd imagine that by default all British expats have strong ties to Britain - er, nationality, family, culture... let alone keeping up professional subscriptions, etc...

Anyhow, I don't believe the hype. How could they enforce it?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by monkieie
Quote,
I think that the danger will be for those people who are out of the UK on a short period contract like myself for 18months or so. On return to the UK HMRC have the opportunity to look into these things and find a good reason why you need to pay tax on your earnings abroad. Does it come down to the subtle difference between resident and normally resident?
Either way I will be putting aside HMRC's pound of flesh just in case.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:19 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
yeah, especially as I'd imagine that by default all British expats have strong ties to Britain - er, nationality, family, culture... let alone keeping up professional subscriptions, etc...

Anyhow, I don't believe the hype. How could they enforce it?
Don't worry folks. As we all participate actively in British Expats.com, we will all be exempt from paying tax.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I think that by being citizens, we owe a 'membership fee'.

I resent paying for the thieves' lifestyles (MPs' expenses etc) but the country has to go on regardless. When I go back, I expect the infrastructure to be there, schools, hospitals, police etc.

I don't use them now, but I will use them sooner or later.

expats are an easy target- we are resented because of our expat lifestyle (whatever that means) and we do not vote , so we cannot punish the bastards.

So, it's an easy populist measure that will have no real effect on the exchequer, but will satisfy a lot of curtain-twitchers.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
I think that by being citizens, we owe a 'membership fee'.

I resent paying for the thieves' lifestyles (MPs' expenses etc) but the country has to go on regardless. When I go back, I expect the infrastructure to be there, schools, hospitals, police etc.

I don't use them now, but I will use them sooner or later.

expats are an easy target- we are resented because of our expat lifestyle (whatever that means) and we do not vote , so we cannot punish the bastards.

So, it's an easy populist measure that will have no real effect on the exchequer, but will satisfy a lot of curtain-twitchers.
You make valid points, however consider:

Many expats "paid" their membership fee for many years - in my case over 20. As a single person in a higher tax bracket, I personally saw very little "value for money" in the UK public services.

Many expats have no plans whatsoever to return to the UK - the latest rumours will give even less incentive for those that are unsure about returning...

Sure we have lifestyles resented by some - but there is risk and effort involved in moving overseas, we all took it and now reap the rewards... If those "curtain twitchers" want to get off their A%$ES and make the move, they too can enjoy it...

Expats still have the right to vote and there was a recent campaign to remain on the electoral role and vote remotely. If expats don't vote, its because the chose not to, not because they can't.

As you can tell, I have pretty strong views. Perhaps if the UK government looked more at their spending policy and budgets, rather than being caught in a fox style hunt to feed it, they might get a more sympathetic opnion from me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.