Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Taking TV from US to Bahrain

Taking TV from US to Bahrain

Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

vhl71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking TV from US to Bahrain

Has anyone taken their TV from US/Canada to Bahrain?
There are products out in the market to convert NTSC to PAL in real time.. Does it work for Bahrain?
I recently bought a great DLP television which i don't want to part with and the company is paying for shipping costs..so wondering whether i should take this and try to use it with the converter..
any ideas??
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:31 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking TV from US to Bahrain

Originally Posted by vhl71
Has anyone taken their TV from US/Canada to Bahrain?
There are products out in the market to convert NTSC to PAL in real time.. Does it work for Bahrain?
I recently bought a great DLP television which i don't want to part with and the company is paying for shipping costs..so wondering whether i should take this and try to use it with the converter..
any ideas??
They don't have HD in the middle east (at least not the last time I was there in 2006) and I didn't see any mention of it coming, so having an HDTV is sort of pointless. Electronics are also relatively cheap there so it probably is worth selling it and buying a new one over there. If it were a really nice plasma unit i'd say bring it but DLP's are a dime a dozen these days. You could probably find a decent used one for sale in Bahrain when you arrived.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

vhl71 is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed.
but since the company is paying for the container, just wondering whether it will work if i take it..I really like the pic quality on this TV and it is only 4 months old..so i will get nothing if i sell this here..
i'm sure someone has looked at this option before???
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

probably find a few digital convertors to change the signal from ntsc to pal...but they won't be cheap, a few hundred $ at least...and wouldn't have a clue if the hd will mess them up, been ages since I last looked at them.