Sponsorship

Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:12 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sponsorship

Hoping someone can answer this.

I work in Abu Dhabi. I get a salary and allowance but no explicit accommodation allowance. I do have a flat with a tenancy contract in my name.

My wife lives back in the UK but has the chance of a job out here where accommodation is normally provided by the company. However the company say that because of UAE law I need to sponsor her and they will not provide her housing unless I can prove I do not get an allowance for housing. Does this sound correct? Obviously getting housing provided as part of her package would be a big plus and would save us a substantial amount of money.

Edited to add, I am assuming there is no legal reason why the company could not sponsor my wife themselves, I am guessing this is a company rule designed to save them hassle and money?

Last edited by Fossildog; Feb 13th 2013 at 6:17 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:16 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sponsorship

If she has a job, why would you need to sponsor her? Her company MUST sponsor her, you can't cos if you did she couldn't work.

Does your salary certificate say anything about "Housing Allowance" cos if not I would go with her accom - after you've seen it of course.

They're trying to pull a fast one, it has nothing to do with UAE law at all, they're just greedy buggers.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:19 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
If she has a job, why would you need to sponsor her? Her company MUST sponsor her, you can't cos if you did she couldn't work.

Does your salary certificate say anything about "Housing Allowance" cos if not I would go with her accom - after you've seen it of course.

They're trying to pull a fast one, it has nothing to do with UAE law at all, they're just greedy buggers.
Yes that is what I am thinking. My salary certificate and contract does not mention any accommodation allowance, just a 3/2 split between salary and allowances.

Will push for them to sponsor her and provide accommodation. Thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely - there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't both get a housing allowance - plenty of couples do and it makes a serious improvement to household economics!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

All responses are correct. I never cease to be amazed at the dirty tricks employers try and pull.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Hoping someone can answer this.

I work in Abu Dhabi. I get a salary and allowance but no explicit accommodation allowance. I do have a flat with a tenancy contract in my name.

My wife lives back in the UK but has the chance of a job out here where accommodation is normally provided by the company. However the company say that because of UAE law I need to sponsor her and they will not provide her housing unless I can prove I do not get an allowance for housing. Does this sound correct? Obviously getting housing provided as part of her package would be a big plus and would save us a substantial amount of money.

Edited to add, I am assuming there is no legal reason why the company could not sponsor my wife themselves, I am guessing this is a company rule designed to save them hassle and money?
yes a lot of companies will not "double up" and you do have to prove it
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

LMMB2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the rule regarding sponsorship different in Qatar? For example if husband working already in Qatar and if wife in the UK gets job does husband have to sponser. I have been told this is the case as company said that as husband already there he must sponser. I suspect this is probably a money saving exercise but it also seems from reading various forums that perhaps companies do not want to double up on housing allowances etc and are maybe changing rules ? Perhaps it is at the discretion of individual organisations?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LMMB2012
Is the rule regarding sponsorship different in Qatar? For example if husband working already in Qatar and if wife in the UK gets job does husband have to sponser. I have been told this is the case as company said that as husband already there he must sponser. I suspect this is probably a money saving exercise but it also seems from reading various forums that perhaps companies do not want to double up on housing allowances etc and are maybe changing rules ? Perhaps it is at the discretion of individual organisations?
A thing to remember is that, despite their emmense worth, Qatari's are lazy and greedy bastards.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

No, hold on, I remember there was this law when I worked in AD that if both the husband and wife worked for the government, you would only get one Housing Allowance. If at least one of you worked for a private company, then you could each get a Housing Allowance. So, do you both work for the government? If not, you should be fine.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:13 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
No, hold on, I remember there was this law when I worked in AD that if both the husband and wife worked for the government, you would only get one Housing Allowance. If at least one of you worked for a private company, then you could each get a Housing Allowance. So, do you both work for the government? If not, you should be fine.
UAE government is not subject to labour law.