Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Some Information Please

Some Information Please

Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Clive 53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some Information Please

Hi, if there is a kind soul out there that could give us some sound advice I would be very grateful. We (my fiancé and I. Getting married in May) are thinking very seriously about coming to Abu Dhabi. I am at present trying to sort out a job, but before we accept any offer we would like to find out some home truths about Abu Dhabi. If I may, I would like to ask a few questions to start off with.

1. What’s the cost of living? Grocery’s, gas (do you use gas or is it all solar power), electric, broadband (Cost & speed).
2. Do the expats live in the same area or is it dependent on who you work for?
3. Medical Insurance. Is there one type or is it dependent on how much you pay?
4. Hospitals. What are they like? For example A&E facilities?
5. How are expats looked upon by the locals? Are they friendly? What’s the crime rate?
6. How easy is it for woman to get work? My Fiancé would want to work.
7. Do you know a clean, reasonably priced hotel? We would come out to Abu Dhabi to do a recce before signing any contract.
8. Are European woman subject to any restrictions?
9. Saw a post on your web site about getting a “Liquor Licence”. What does this mean?

I think that’s enough for now. I am 54 so as you can imagine this would be a huge step for us. So if I seem a bit couscous I hope you understand.

Who ever answers this thanks for you time and if we do come to Abu Dhabi I would look forward to buying you a beer or three.

Regards

Clive 53
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:53 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Information Please

Have you read the Wiki? This will give you a lot of info.

In Abu Dhabi, it is a legal requirements that companies provide some medical insurance for their employees (becomes law in Dubai in July 2008), although you may want more than basic cover. It depends on the employer. Medical facilities are good.

Crimes rates across the Emirates are very low generally. Certainly less than in the UK.

Of course woman can work! She will be able to obtain jobs that she is qualified for. Without knowing the field, can't say more.

Women are not subject to 'special' restrictions - this isn't Saudi! AD is more conservative than Dubai, but just behave with respect and don't wear overly revealing clothing.

Liquor licence - you cannot just walk into an off licence and buy alcohol, a licence is needed. You can get one once you are employed. Alcohol is available from bars and hotels.

Some of our psosters from AD will be along later and can tell you about where to live and hotels.

What is a bit 'couscous' by the way??
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Hi Meow, sorry I meant cautious.
Thanks for your reply. With reference to the “Liquor Licence” whilst I understand you require one for an Off Licence do you still need one if you buy a drink in a hotel? How do tourists cope?
Can you tell me what the cost of living is? With reference to question one.

Thanks

Clive 53
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Wiki link called 'Cost of living in the UAE' - have a look at that.

Alcohol is available in bars & hotels. For anyone aged 21 or over.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks, found a spreadsheet with all the costs. However, these were for Dubai. Is it the same in Abu Dhabi? May I ask how long you have been there and what are your thoughts about the place?

Thanks

Clive53
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clive,

Looking forward to having a beer or two with you

1. What’s the cost of living? Grocery’s, gas (do you use gas or is it all solar power), electric, broadband (Cost & speed). I moved to Abu Dhabi from Manchester in Oct 07. I am finding things very cheap here. I very rarely cook at home as it is so cheap to eat in the restaurants and numerous malls here. I can't comment on the electric/broadband as my company provide all that in my accomodation
2. Do the expats live in the same area or is it dependent on who you work for? There are areas in Abu Dhabi that have more expats but you don't need to be in these areas. I live about 10 mins drive from the centre and all my neighbours are locals
3. Medical Insurance. Is there one type or is it dependent on how much you pay? Again, my company provide all my medical/dental bills etc. Someone else might be able to help on this
4. Hospitals. What are they like? For example A&E facilities? I have first hand experience of A&E here! I fell over badly on my ankle and had to goto hospital. Basically I snapped my ligament and was in plaster for 6wks. On my first consultation at the hospital I was dreading it. BUT I was in and out within 40mins (4 Xrays, seen the Doc and been plastered!) I find the hospitals over here to be far better than the UK and the one I went to had plenty of English speaking staff (Al Noor Hospital)
5. How are expats looked upon by the locals? Are they friendly? What’s the crime rate? I have not encountered any problems with any of the locals yet and can't see me doing. They seem to be a friendly bunch. I have not seen any crime over here. I haven't locked the front door to my house since I got here and always leave my Sat Nav on show in the car. I don't know if I've just been lucky but I think the punishments deter people
6. How easy is it for woman to get work? My Fiancé would want to work. Depends on what your BH would do? My partner is a school teacher and would be able to find a job reasonably easy over here. The only problem is I'm not married so she won't be coming over!
7. Do you know a clean, reasonably priced hotel? We would come out to Abu Dhabi to do a recce before signing any contract. There are numerous hotels in Abu Dhabi ranging from very expensive to v cheap. Have a look on the Time Out Abu Dhabi website. They have some reviews on the hotels
8. Are European woman subject to any restrictions? When my gf came over she was worried about what she could and couldn't wear. As long as you don't walk round with everything on show you are fine! You can go out at night wearing the same kind of things you would do in the UK
9. Saw a post on your web site about getting a “Liquor Licence”. What does this mean?
You do not need a liquor licence. There are 'holes in the wall' which you can goto and get your booze without a licence. There are 2 that I know off in Abu Dhabi

Thats gotta be one of the longest posts I've ever wrote!! lol Hope it is of some use
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

1. What’s the cost of living? Grocery’s, gas (do you use gas or is it all solar power), electric, broadband (Cost & speed).

Check the Wiki.... But there ain't no solar.

2. Do the expats live in the same area or is it dependent on who you work for?

Expats live all over. Khalidiya, Mangrove Village, Corniche are popular on-island.

3. Medical Insurance. Is there one type or is it dependent on how much you pay?

Should be part of your package.

4. Hospitals. What are they like? For example A&E facilities?

Never needed to use them, but believe they are reasonable.

5. How are expats looked upon by the locals? Are they friendly? What’s the crime rate?

Crime rate in AD very low. Locals mainly keep a friendly distance but can be very warm & hospitable if you are lucky enough to get to know them. Apologies for glib generalisation.

6. How easy is it for woman to get work? My Fiancé would want to work.

No problem if she has quals & skills.

7. Do you know a clean, reasonably priced hotel? We would come out to Abu Dhabi to do a recce before signing any contract.

Beware of anything below 5 star - likely to have a sideline in prostitution and be a bit seedy, really. Better to stick to the quality hotels.

8. Are European woman subject to any restrictions?
Dress a little conservatively to avoid unwanted attention. That said, miniskirts and plunging necklines are not unheard of.

Meow already answered that one. Some of the booze shops will turn a blind eye if you don't have one, but you can end up in the clink for this. Also can do a booze cruise down to Ajman, UAQ or RAK to stock up. Again, in the unlikely event that you are caught doing it, jailhouse rock beckons.

Are you planning to visit the city before making a choice to move here??? It might be a good idea.

Best of Luck!!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Oops. Chris beat me to it - and with color, too...
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Chris and SUB, thanks very much for your reply. The information is just what I needed. Although I am in the early stages of trying to get a job I have been told that I will have no problem. I work in the water industry in the UK. How do you both find the work environment out there? Is it laid back, do they have the "it can be done tomorrow" approach. Last question for now, do most people move their possessions out to AD or is most accommodation furnished?

Will look forward to them beers if we come out.

Also I put a picture on my profile. How do I get it to show on the forum page like SUB?

Thanks

Clive53
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Sorry meant SYB
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Oops. Chris beat me to it - and with color, too...
Ha ha!! It's the old age slowing you down I just started typing it all way before you! Took me ages!!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clive 53
Sorry meant SYB
No wuzzas.

The work environment depends on your industry - govt sector like ADWEA is, I would imagine, more laid back than the construction sector, f'r example...

Avatar thing - go to my profile from the menu bar at the top of your page, then choose edit avatar from the menu at the side. Then choose the custom avatar radio button and link it to the .jpg or whatever file that contains the pic you want displayed.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chris79
Ha ha!! It's the old age slowing you down I just started typing it all way before you! Took me ages!!
LOL. The sad thing is i wasn't any faster when i was younger....
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clive 53
Chris and SUB, thanks very much for your reply. The information is just what I needed. Although I am in the early stages of trying to get a job I have been told that I will have no problem. I work in the water industry in the UK. How do you both find the work environment out there? Is it laid back, do they have the "it can be done tomorrow" approach. Last question for now, do most people move their possessions out to AD or is most accommodation furnished?

Will look forward to them beers if we come out.

Also I put a picture on my profile. How do I get it to show on the forum page like SUB?

Thanks

Clive53
I won't lie to you, I struggle working out here. The language barriers are hard and, yes, they have a ' it can be done tomorrow' or even next month attitude! In the UK 10 people could do a job over here they would need 100! Each man has a task and will not deviate one bit from it!
I didn't move anything out here, I found all the furniture and electrical goods to be a lot cheaper than the UK. I managed to get some money from my company as well to help me set up.

As for the picture, I will leave that one to SYB (I don't know how to do it!)

Chris
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
No wuzzas.

The work environment depends on your industry -..........
See! you beat me this time!! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.