Skype banned in UAE

Skype banned in UAE

Old May 4th 2005, 7:34 am
W10

Default Re: Skype banned in UAE

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Nat...ticleID=163394

Old May 4th 2005, 7:39 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one W10
Old May 4th 2005, 9:42 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
I've never used Skype, but if the program connects to a specific server (which I guess it does), they can block the relevant IP address(es), so even if you've already downloaded it you won't be able to use it any more.

Mines still working ok
Old May 4th 2005, 9:54 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Mines still working ok
mine too
Old May 4th 2005, 10:23 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

I think (i'm not that tech literate but the IT guys here were discussing it) that they can block the site but it will take a lot longer for them to block the actual calls as they will go out through various IP's/ servers and lines.
From what I can gather the problem will be when you try to upload more credit, although it has been suggested that if it was an emergency some-one outside the UAE could do it on your behalf.

Maybe some-one like Frans can clarify it a little more....
Old May 4th 2005, 1:43 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Welivehere
I think (i'm not that tech literate but the IT guys here were discussing it) that they can block the site but it will take a lot longer for them to block the actual calls as they will go out through various IP's/ servers and lines.
From what I can gather the problem will be when you try to upload more credit, although it has been suggested that if it was an emergency some-one outside the UAE could do it on your behalf.

Maybe some-one like Frans can clarify it a little more....
Anyone with a credit card can upload credit for you. Atleast that's what I've been told. But with ADSL telephone calls in Europe? I doubt Skype will last long as a business. I pay a flat rate of € 10,= per month and have up to 800 minutes of free calls, be they national or international. Never managed to use them all. I know people in Saudi brought "Home boxes" (Internet / Telephone) as they are called with them, going back to Saudi. It works in Saudi, so why not try it in the UAE? For sure there must be a UK provider?

Or... Ask around within the UAE, find someone with access to the INTRANET, not internet. Ask if he or she can setup a login for you. INTRANET is not censored at all. Once on the INTRANET? You can loop back onto the internet, bypassing all the UAE restrictions.

Last edited by Frans Wind; May 4th 2005 at 1:48 pm.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:56 pm
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Anyone with a credit card can upload credit for you. Atleast that's what I've been told. But with ADSL telephone calls in Europe? I doubt Skype will last long as a business. I pay a flat rate of € 10,= per month and have up to 800 minutes of free calls, be they national or international. Never managed to use them all. I know people in Saudi brought "Home boxes" (Internet / Telephone) as they are called with them, going back to Saudi. It works in Saudi, so why not try it in the UAE? For sure there must be a UK provider?

Or... Ask around within the UAE, find someone with access to the INTRANET, not internet. Ask if he or she can setup a login for you. INTRANET is not censored at all. Once on the INTRANET? You can loop back onto the internet, bypassing all the UAE restrictions.
Or... An other neat little trick is to find someone with a personal website in the UK. Then? Log onto that website, if a friend is willing to setup a link towards Skype? Skype protects accounts with a password, once in? You can upgrade your credit as well and make all the calls you want.

Last edited by Frans Wind; May 4th 2005 at 1:59 pm.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

FaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the rough

Is it Possible for Etisalat To block, Xbox downloadable content, on xbox live, its not going through a website it goes through xbox umm.. how can i put it, its like through a proxy to microsofts downloadable content
because me and my freind arent able to dwnld new extra content for games I.E new levels
Old May 4th 2005, 6:01 pm
UAE Expat

Originally Posted by !FaZtAsTiCleS!
Is it Possible for Etisalat To block, Xbox downloadable content, on xbox live, its not going through a website it goes through xbox umm.. how can i put it, its like through a proxy to microsofts downloadable content
because me and my freind arent able to dwnld new extra content for games I.E new levels
Hi FaZ,

Although I'm not an Xbox user myself, if you need to log onto via the internet to download extra content? I think it's rather easy for them to block it. Even if you're redirected to a secure Xbox area. Why not have a friend in Europe / America split the game up in 10 Mb segments and email them to you? Or even better, dump it on a torrent site and then you can download it?
Old May 4th 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

FaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the roughFaZtAsTiCleS is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Hi FaZ,

Although I'm not an Xbox user myself, if you need to log onto via the internet to download extra content? I think it's rather easy for them to block it. Even if you're redirected to a secure Xbox area. Why not have a friend in Europe / America split the game up in 10 Mb segments and email them to you? Or even better, dump it on a torrent site and then you can download it?
you cant its not like that it downloads through broadband, on Tv screen, i cant explain it, ill try and find a link to a picture of what it looks like
this is what it looks like on Tv, http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D7B...s2004dl004.jpg
Note Xbox live is not a service where you browse internet.
thats what i mean
Old May 4th 2005, 6:51 pm
UAE Expat

Originally Posted by !FaZtAsTiCleS!
you cant its not like that it downloads through broadband, on Tv screen, i cant explain it, ill try and find a link to a picture of what it looks like
this is what it looks like on Tv, http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D7B...s2004dl004.jpg
Note Xbox live is not a service where you browse internet.
thats what i mean
Hi Faz,

What you could do is email the people of Xbox and find out what or who is blocking it. Maybe they can advise an alternative route to follow.
Old May 8th 2005, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

thetink is on a distinguished road

just managed to add more credit to Skype and make a long call to the UK for peanuts!

still working - yipeeeee!
Old May 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thetink
just managed to add more credit to Skype and make a long call to the UK for peanuts!

still working - yipeeeee!
How did you do that - can't even access my a/c page
Old May 9th 2005, 3:38 am
W10

Moving to an Emaar property would do the trick.

I can get Skype fine, so if people trust me with cc details I can buy credit.

Old May 9th 2005, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
Moving to an Emaar property would do the trick.

I can get Skype fine, so if people trust me with cc details I can buy credit.

Good Morning People
Morning W10
Have any of you tried Phoneserve?Been usung it for about 2 years now.Very reliable.
And K for your efforts

SS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.