Reload this Page >

Shopping at Dubai airport

Shopping at Dubai airport

Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:56 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road
Default Shopping at Dubai airport

I would be passing through Dubai on a transit for some hours.
And i was thinking of shopping there .
Can anyone advice the advantages or disadvantages..
Are things cheap there and is it true that its tax free..
What things are cheap to buy there electronics etc..??
Thanks
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:00 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping at Dubai airport

Originally Posted by ige
I would be passing through Dubai on a transit for some hours.
And i was thinking of shopping there .
Can anyone advice the advantages or disadvantages..
Are things cheap there and is it true that its tax free..
What things are cheap to buy there electronics etc..??
Thanks

Ever the helpful one - I have a fairly current price list of most of the d/free items - so if you want to compare some prices let me know
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:48 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road

Yes please i would appreciate if you have a list.
I'm looking at whatever i can get there for a good price.
Also looking at electronics and specifically Notebooks etc..
Thanks

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Ever the helpful one - I have a fairly current price list of most of the d/free items - so if you want to compare some prices let me know
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:50 am
W10

How much for the 60g ipod video please?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:21 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked the book (august edition) - not many electronic items listed mainly only camcorders. The list is mainly cosmetics, perfumes, alcohol, some mobile phones and some cameras - I found regular ipods there more expensive than you can get them in the shops here
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:23 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Why are not offering Mr Ige the same service like JonnyZee?

Whereabouts are you at the moment - if you are in the UK can post the property pages to you next week as hubby going over - which might help?
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:50 am
Its all good

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Why are not offering Mr Ige the same service like JonnyZee?

Well for the personal shopper service there is a charge Have to make some money somehow
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:13 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

WoW a personal shopper now that is a job i could enjoy
Old Nov 1st 2005, 5:57 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Prices in Dubai Duty Free are extraordinarily high I have found. Booze and fags are cheap but apart from that, iPods, video cameras and computers were all pricey.
It depends on where you are going- my sister's buying her iPod here as it's cheaper than the shops in Dubai. If you are coming from the Uk and going somewhere else where there is no choice (i.e. a major port) then you'll be better buying it in DDF.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

I heard sunglasses are pretty cheap, but haven't checked the prices myself. (On the fence again!)
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
(On the fence again!)

no reiver ever sat on a fence!

did you know the word bereaved comes from the reivers, as in "to have been reived" eg all your cattle got knicked and your family was killed
Old Nov 1st 2005, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

don't really rate the shopping much, don't think that there are to many shops in there.

Here is the web site not a great site or much info to shopping really!

http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/cgi-bin...2005ca/Catalog
Old Nov 1st 2005, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

The prices inside the duty free and outside are almost similar.
The import duty is 5% which is waived in the DF case,but the rent is much higher than outside so that difference will still be very minimal.
I guess only tobacco and alcohol will be cheaper than the local market owing to the high customs duty levied on these items.
From experience,I bought my phone at Carrefour at 1,599dhs and in DDF it was priced at 1,620dhs.And Carrefour prices are 1-3% cheaper than other outlets with similar items.

Last edited by shoushou; Nov 1st 2005 at 11:50 am.