Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping from UK to Middle East (Muscat)

Shipping from UK to Middle East (Muscat)

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

ablanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from UK to Middle East (Muscat)

Hi

We are hoping to move to Muscat in the next few months but the prospective employer is currently refusing to relocate our stuff. We are a family with 3 kids, so there's a lot of stuff to ship!

Does anyone know of any reputable, but not ridiculously expensive, companies who ship to the Middle East? Does anyone have any experience moving there stuff out and how much did it cost?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:15 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK to Middle East (Muscat)

We moved about 5 years ago and it cost (i think) GBP 3k for a 20ft container that inclucded packing and unpacking at each end. Insurance is extra and is based on value of contents which of course takes ages to try and itemise, this in itself is quite a hefty chunk too if I remember correctly.

Someone else no doubt will have moved stuff more recently but best thing is just to get a few quotes and see, you also have to arrange it a fair bit in advance as they are pretty booked up we found.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fairydust
We moved about 5 years ago and it cost (i think) GBP 3k for a 20ft container that inclucded packing and unpacking at each end. Insurance is extra and is based on value of contents which of course takes ages to try and itemise, this in itself is quite a hefty chunk too if I remember correctly.

Someone else no doubt will have moved stuff more recently but best thing is just to get a few quotes and see, you also have to arrange it a fair bit in advance as they are pretty booked up we found.
That's great, thanks! Can you remember which company you used and did it all go smoothly?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:36 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

You could try these guys- I used to work for a relo company and this website was a good tool recommended by a lot of clients.
We moved from Muscat to Hong Kong with ISS (Inchcape Shipping Svcs) and they have a branch in Muscat.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:20 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ablanche
That's great, thanks! Can you remember which company you used and did it all go smoothly?
Think it was Britannia but not sure if that is just a northern company? Yes it was fine nothing damaged or broken and arrived more or less when they predicted. Had quotes from Pickfords and a couple of others but they were nearly double the price. Must admit I was left back in the UK to sort it all out and I forgot to send the insurance forms so didn't tell hubby until after the stuff all got here in one piece, had a few nightmares about his pics being damaged though but was all ok. Although I have a friend who works on P&O container ships and after hearing some of the horror stories of containers going overboard I wouldn't recommend not having the insurance, at least for some of the more expensive items.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Think it was Britannia but not sure if that is just a northern company? Yes it was fine nothing damaged or broken and arrived more or less when they predicted. Had quotes from Pickfords and a couple of others but they were nearly double the price. Must admit I was left back in the UK to sort it all out and I forgot to send the insurance forms so didn't tell hubby until after the stuff all got here in one piece, had a few nightmares about his pics being damaged though but was all ok. Although I have a friend who works on P&O container ships and after hearing some of the horror stories of containers going overboard I wouldn't recommend not having the insurance, at least for some of the more expensive items.
Ha Ha - sounds like something I would do! :-)
Thanks for the advice
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Also looking for a relo firm from UK to Muscat if anybody has any experience of a good firm?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:07 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ablanche
Hi

We are hoping to move to Muscat in the next few months but the prospective employer is currently refusing to relocate our stuff. We are a family with 3 kids, so there's a lot of stuff to ship!

Does anyone know of any reputable, but not ridiculously expensive, companies who ship to the Middle East? Does anyone have any experience moving there stuff out and how much did it cost?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Just Browsing
Also looking for a relo firm from UK to Muscat if anybody has any experience of a good firm?
I used a company called Excess Baggage when I moved out to Dubai from the UK, and they were really good.

They were efficient, helpdul, turned up when they said they would and my stuff got here in a few days (airfreight, although they also do the ship route too)

Their details are :

Excess Baggage
4 Hannah Close
Great Central Way
LondonNW10
www.excess-baggage.com

I dealt with a lady called : Natalie Leadbetter, who was very helpful

Her email is: [email protected]

Good Luck....
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Originally Posted by BangleMan
I used a company called Excess Baggage when I moved out to Dubai from the UK, and they were really good.

They were efficient, helpdul, turned up when they said they would and my stuff got here in a few days (airfreight, although they also do the ship route too)

Their details are :

Excess Baggage
4 Hannah Close
Great Central Way
LondonNW10
www.excess-baggage.com

I dealt with a lady called : Natalie Leadbetter, who was very helpful

Her email is: [email protected]

Good Luck....
How much did you ship by air and at what cost. I may do air frieght and leave all my bulky stuff here except my big plasma!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:28 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just Browsing
How much did you ship by air and at what cost. I may do air frieght and leave all my bulky stuff here except my big plasma!
I had 9 large boxes, stuffed with clothes, nick naks, books, dvd's, picture frames, etc, and it cost just under 600quid by air

If you go on their website I think they show you the various sized boxes and dimensions