Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

laptops in the UAE.... how much?

laptops in the UAE.... how much?

Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default laptops in the UAE.... how much?

morning all,

I am now packed and ready to travel on Sunday! As much as i have tried to repack my bags to get them down to 20kg its not happening so i will just have to pay the price at the airport, however, i do have a laptop and it is an old one (weighs 3kg!) but i only ever use it to sit on here and check my e-mails...

how much are laptops over there? Im seriously considering just buying a new one over there save on my luggage!!

We can get them for about £400 here, and that is a fairly decent one.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:28 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: laptops in the UAE.... how much?

If you go to the computer souq in Bur Dubai, you should be able to get one for about Dhs 2,000 which corresponds to GBP 275 at current exchange rates. In the big shops, expect to pay 25% more.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

...also old laptop might be useful to bring if you want to try and use skype its best to have it already downloaded on your laptop as you will be unable to download over here as it seems to be blocked....I'm in Abu Dhabi
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:13 am
Banned

zuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
morning all,

I am now packed and ready to travel on Sunday! As much as i have tried to repack my bags to get them down to 20kg its not happening so i will just have to pay the price at the airport, however, i do have a laptop and it is an old one (weighs 3kg!) but i only ever use it to sit on here and check my e-mails...

how much are laptops over there? Im seriously considering just buying a new one over there save on my luggage!!

We can get them for about £400 here, and that is a fairly decent one.
I was at the Emirates office yesterday picking up my ticket to Dubai and yet again asked about baggage allowance.

The lady told me in no uncertain terms you get an extra 8kg for economy and an extra 12kg for business.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean we can get away with 8kg at the airport or book it in advance?

Im 28 in one case and 24 in the other, obviously there is two of us?!

Ta
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

zuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nicezuzu143 is just really nice

Do you mean we can get away with 8kg at the airport or book it in advance?

Im 28 in one case and 24 in the other, obviously there is two of us?!

Ta
Hi

You can get away with it at the airport. 8kg extra per individual. If they say anything just tell them you called Emirates Office in London and they told you they will allow an extra 8kg.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:46 pm
W10

Laptops are cheaper in the UK.

You can download skype from the UAE. I did it from the Skype website last month

Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank mate! Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by zuzu143
Hi

You can get away with it at the airport. 8kg extra per individual. If they say anything just tell them you called Emirates Office in London and they told you they will allow an extra 8kg.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

thank mate! Much appreciated!
Hope you have a good journey, enjoy working and living in Dubai. I am sure once you settle in you will enjoy life. Take care.