Shia Mosques

Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shia Mosques

Ok I know this is probably a long shot in what I'm about to ask, given that this is a brit expat forum and all, but i figured those of you who may have lived in Dubai for a number of yrs, and are familiar with the two main Islamic sects ie Sunni & Shia, might know - does anyone know of any shia mosques in dubai...if so could you please let me know the location/s.

Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shia Mosques

Originally Posted by mission
Ok I know this is probably a long shot in what I'm about to ask, given that this is a brit expat forum and all, but i figured those of you who may have lived in Dubai for a number of yrs, and are familiar with the two main Islamic sects ie Sunni & Shia, might know - does anyone know of any shia mosques in dubai...if so could you please let me know the location/s.

Cheers
Yes, the big fancy one across Al Wasl Road from the Iranian Hospital. Over the years I have had a few others pointed out to me, but not being of that faith, I forgot them!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Yes, the big fancy one across Al Wasl Road from the Iranian Hospital. Over the years I have had a few others pointed out to me, but not being of that faith, I forgot them!
Cheers Jim, much appreciated
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

There is an attractive one with blue tiles in Bur Dubai - it's a little hard to find, but is basically just inland of the old (new) souq area between the two abra stations.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Cheers
Are you getting ready for Ashura then?

Bahrain is interesting for this, so long as you are discreet (dress in black) it is possible to watch the parades. I am not sure they parade in Dubai though.

Last edited by Bonny Boy; Dec 15th 2009 at 1:11 pm. Reason: Sp
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:25 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
There is an attractive one with blue tiles in Bur Dubai - it's a little hard to find, but is basically just inland of the old (new) souq area between the two abra stations.
I know the one you mean - I took some shots there and it's stunning, so beautiful...
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks everyone for your feedback....i'll try and see if i can find the mosques you guys have mentioned.

BONNY yep Inshallaah im gearing up for Ashura - the 10 days of Moharram will begin on Friday with Ashura being on the 26th Dec.

Na, i highly doubt there is any parade over here....they tend to keep them confined to the mosque coz of the controvesey surrounding the commemoration.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Iranian hospital and mosque:
Attached Thumbnails Shia Mosques-09510004.jpg  
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bur Dubai mosque:
Attached Thumbnails Shia Mosques-84920009.jpg  
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:24 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone for your feedback....i'll try and see if i can find the mosques you guys have mentioned.

BONNY yep Inshallaah im gearing up for Ashura - the 10 days of Moharram will begin on Friday with Ashura being on the 26th Dec.

Na, i highly doubt there is any parade over here....they tend to keep them confined to the mosque coz of the controvesey surrounding the commemoration.
Is that the one with all the bloodletting and self flagellation?

N.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
On the look out

smilingcamel will become famous soon enoughsmilingcamel will become famous soon enough

There is a large one in nearby Sharjah opposite to where all the Dhows are....if you really like shia mosqes....head to Bahrain. I have just left Bahrain and there are plenty of em there! I must admit the inscriptions and calligraphy look impressive if you have a chance to look inside...I am not moslem, but find the art work amazing on some of the shia mosques.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Is that the one with all the bloodletting and self flagellation?

N.
Yes, that's the one - the Martyrdom of Ali.

Controversial, because it raises Shia/Sunni tensions - akin to an Orangeman's march in NI.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:47 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Controversial, because it raises Shia/Sunni tensions - akin to an Orangeman's march in NI.
Also controversial because of all the self flagellation and blood etc...

N.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually its the Martydrom of Imaan Hussein.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Actually its the Martydrom of Imaan Hussein.
Yes.....the ibn Ali part of his name threw me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.