Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Seeing a doctor with non-resident status

Seeing a doctor with non-resident status

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

amir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Seeing a doctor with non-resident status

Hi,

I am here with my family and all on visit visas at the moment with residency in about a month.

If one of us got ill and we needed to see a doctor - what is the procedure here? Assuming something happens before our health cover kicks in on 1st May.

Do I ring somewhere first or just turn up and what are the costs for seeing a doctor for 'normal' ailments without holding a medical card yet?

Thanks for your help in advance - bit worried about this!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeing a doctor with non-resident status

Originally Posted by amir431974
Hi,

I am here with my family and all on visit visas at the moment with residency in about a month.

If one of us got ill and we needed to see a doctor - what is the procedure here? Assuming something happens before our health cover kicks in on 1st May.

Do I ring somewhere first or just turn up and what are the costs for seeing a doctor for 'normal' ailments without holding a medical card yet?

No worries whatsoever. At Al Wasl Hospital for example you will just pay AED200 for the consultation. When you get your Health Card, it falls to AED100...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

For Abu Dhabi

Had a quick scan of this site so sorry if I missed something but is there something which indicates where to go if you have problems or what to do in an emergency?

Sort of things like;

Having a heart attack or some medical emergency at home or in the street?

Which is the best place for ex-pats with maybe a non-emergency medical issue like a stomach illness, constant headaches or std!

Just would point out I don't have any of these (really...nor do I have 'a friend' with them either!) but even I am not sure where to go with so many hospitals everywhere in the city. I've heard stories about don't use this hospital, that one is ok for emergencies, keep away from Dr X and go to Dr Y, that hospital will only treat locals, that place is only for poor ex-pats...

I have Daman medical cover. Is there something which gives some idea or anyone have recommendations so we can formulate a list?

Have to laugh. I was introduced to a friend new boyfriend who is a doctor practicing in Dubai...he's struck off in his own country!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:00 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
For Abu Dhabi

Had a quick scan of this site so sorry if I missed something but is there something which indicates where to go if you have problems or what to do in an emergency?
Black Cloud - appropriate name. I think that you don't find out about this from the site because no-one is that bothered. Dubai regulatory authorities take care of things not us. Hopefully you will not need to avail yourself.

Specifically though - if you have a heart attack on the street you should apply in writing for medical attention from the MoH. Your letter should be translated into Arabic.

For STD you should contact a paratrooper and have your boyfriend killed.

Your friend's cohort having been struck off is an innovation to - 'trust me, I'm a doctor.'

If you wish any more advice on any subject where true objectivity and value counts then please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by amir431974
Hi,

Emergency treatment is free... otherwise go to the Iranian hospital.. they were great with my daughter... paid 60DHS, saw a doctor within seconds, then collected the prescribed medicines.. all covered by the 60DHS. No medical card required.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lionheart
No worries whatsoever. At Al Wasl Hospital for example you will just pay AED200 for the consultation. When you get your Health Card, it falls to AED100...
A slightly different scenario, i have a visa but my partner doesn't possibly for the next year so if that's the case & she keeps doing visa runs will she still fall into the same category ?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pauldxb
A slightly different scenario, i have a visa but my partner doesn't possibly for the next year so if that's the case & she keeps doing visa runs will she still fall into the same category ?
you can only do so many visa runs so I don't think she will manage a year. If you go to any of the private Doctors you don't need to show your visa, and anyone can receive treatment at the government hospitals, resident or not.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
you can only do so many visa runs so I don't think she will manage a year. If you go to any of the private Doctors you don't need to show your visa, and anyone can receive treatment at the government hospitals, resident or not.
Can you recommend any private doctors / dentists ? Any idea on price

Less than a year for a visa run ????? Blimey i better get the business up & running, im guessing i could than act as her sponsor ?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Can you recommend any private doctors / dentists ? Any idea on price

Less than a year for a visa run ????? Blimey i better get the business up & running, im guessing i could than act as her sponsor ?
yes you could 'employ' her. Get a copy of a mag called CONNECTOR, all the Docs are listed in there.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes you could 'employ' her. Get a copy of a mag called CONNECTOR, all the Docs are listed in there.
Cool, but you defo dont need a visa to see a private doc or dentist ?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:48 pm
Concierge

Cool, but you defo dont need a visa to see a private doc or dentist ?
definately not
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

definately not
As always cash is king
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:43 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Iranian Hospital in most cases unless you want to spend a little more and get international health insurance from a multinational company...you can get treatment anywhere on the planet then and you wouldn't need any kind of local health card or a visa.

N.