Tricky situation

Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

unsureone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tricky situation

I need some advice please. We are planning to leave UAE before contract ends and move to another ME country as we will have labour ban against us. We cannot avoid the situation and as employer playing dirty so we have to jump ship over night. Cannot give notice as we wont get paid the last month. We want to take our cars with us but have a loan with bank here but we propose to continue payments as normal. What are the consequences of this. Is it as easy as we think? Just leave, have a 1 year labour ban against us, a annoyed employer who knows he's forced us into this situation, transport cars without problems. Any help would be great.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:13 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky situation

this is a tricky one allright! I know people who have done it in the past but they have sold their cars etc all on the QT then left. Technically if your employer doesn't have your passport he can't cancel your visa. (I think I am right on this). If he can't cancel your visa technically the bank won't be aware that you have gone. BUT if he is playing nasty buggers then he could inform the bank and they may well call in their loan. Personally I would sell the cars and settle your affairs here.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
this is a tricky one allright! I know people who have done it in the past but they have sold their cars etc all on the QT then left. Technically if your employer doesn't have your passport he can't cancel your visa. (I think I am right on this). If he can't cancel your visa technically the bank won't be aware that you have gone. BUT if he is playing nasty buggers then he could inform the bank and they may well call in their loan. Personally I would sell the cars and settle your affairs here.
Would it matter to the bank though as we would still be making payments? We also have a personal loan with them for 5 years but as I said previously nothing would change with regards to payment of loans. He doesnt have our passports so cant cancel visa then. Dont think we can afford to settle affairs before we go. Dont like this situation but we cant stay and get made fools of at our expense. We have 1 year left on our contract but 2 years left on the UAE Labour contract. Basically we are being massively underpaid and need to start earning the right money elsewhere.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend who did the same, he had huge debts and basially got on a plane and went to Bahrain. He spoke to the bank and ensured them that he would pay the payments outstanding to them and it all had a happy ending. Perhaps you could go and speak to the bank face to face and explain your situation and guarantee that you will make the payments. You don't want to get into trouble here with the banks as you could end up in Jail. It just isn't worth it. I think Indie Girl might be able to offer better advice as she works in a bank and might know what the routine is in a situation like this. I am guessing you are going to Oman, and want to take the cars with you? I think you will find that you need to export the vehicles from this end etc. I hope it works out for you and you get a new start in Oman. I know how you feel. My husband is being taken for a ride in my opinion
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unsureone
I need some advice please. We are planning to leave UAE before contract ends and move to another ME country as we will have labour ban against us. We cannot avoid the situation and as employer playing dirty so we have to jump ship over night. Cannot give notice as we wont get paid the last month. We want to take our cars with us but have a loan with bank here but we propose to continue payments as normal. What are the consequences of this. Is it as easy as we think? Just leave, have a 1 year labour ban against us, a annoyed employer who knows he's forced us into this situation, transport cars without problems. Any help would be great.
No, the car registration will state it is mortgaged to a bank - so you would need the Bank's permission. However, the good news is that banks do provide a letter/permission to enable people travel to neighbouring countries (e.g. Oman, Saudi etc). Try and arrange for this tomorrow and tell them it is urgent - you're going on a holiday....
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

I had a friend who did the same, he had huge debts and basially got on a plane and went to Bahrain. He spoke to the bank and ensured them that he would pay the payments outstanding to them and it all had a happy ending. Perhaps you could go and speak to the bank face to face and explain your situation and guarantee that you will make the payments. You don't want to get into trouble here with the banks as you could end up in Jail. It just isn't worth it. I think Indie Girl might be able to offer better advice as she works in a bank and might know what the routine is in a situation like this. I am guessing you are going to Oman, and want to take the cars with you? I think you will find that you need to export the vehicles from this end etc. I hope it works out for you and you get a new start in Oman. I know how you feel. My husband is being taken for a ride in my opinion
Thankyou Blue Cat. We are also thinking of Bahrain but just dont want to end up in trouble, especially with 2 kids in tow! Need serious advice but dont want to be exposed before we do it.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:33 am
Concierge

I agree, it is a difficult one and at the end of they day only you can make the decision. If the bank aren't involved with the cars then you won't be legal if you take them out of the country? You will obviously need their permission to take them to Oman permanently, but not on holiday .... but then if you decide to stay in Oman how are you going to register the cars there? you won't be able to come back here to do it as I would imagine that your employer with have you listed as an absconder and the cars will need to be registered in Oman etc .
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Really depends on the bank - some banks are good/understanding, others are hopeless (e.g. Mashreq, RAK). Send me a PM, I might be able to advise you depending on the bank in question.

Will the resale value be enough to cover the loan outstanding? Do you have any friends you can trust to help you sell the car in your absence?

Sorry you're having to go through all this - hope the employer rots!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:39 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unsureone
I left the first company I worked with for three years and the bank called me in to say if I tried to leave without guaranteeing the car loan (of which only AED10K remained!!) would be paid I would be stopped at the airport!

The trouble was that I wasn't leaving at all (except to cancel the visa and come back on a visit) and just walked into another job but as there was no visa for about 6 months I had to get my wife at the time who was working to give back up cheques for the remaining payments...it was totally unneeded and humiliating but the bank were quite happy make threats despite me having a healthy account with them with no history of missed payments.

My advice would be forget your cars as you can get new cars wherever you go. Sell them on the quiet and pay back what you can if you get a good price...tell no one you're leaving and try to settle anything outstanding as you will be stopped at the airport or boarder should your employer or bank inform immigration (they only need a few hours notice and you will be marked on every computer in the UAE) and it can take weeks to clear up messes like that...I am sure your wife and kids would not be happy waiting in a UAE prison!

N.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:47 am
Concierge

Norm is right, your gonna have to sell those cars, there is a guy on here looking for two cars. PM him the information.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar situation when I left my first company but the loan I had was from the company and the situation was made worse as they held my passport.

The labour laws here are one of the reasons I am seriously considering leaving.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:57 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
I was in a similar situation when I left my first company but the loan I had was from the company and the situation was made worse as they held my passport.

The labour laws here are one of the reasons I am seriously considering leaving.
Hong Kong maybe no better
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hong Kong maybe no better
am also applying for a job in Cyprus. could be a good compromise
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:11 am
Concierge

and handy for little trips back here
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Cyprus is fantastic. Not as hot as here as well. I spent a while over at RAF Akrotiri. Had a good time in Paphos
Good Luck.
I've been offered a job in the Maldives. I'm seriously thinking of taking it but would like to do at least one year here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.