Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

schools in Doha, any update?

schools in Doha, any update?

Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: schools in Doha, any update?

Originally Posted by Alexa
And why do you think that is the case?
I don't get your point? Do you mean why I think it is the only school that offered places for all my kids? They told me this. I applied for half a dozen of schools and ripped me off with applications fees only to put one of my kids on the waiting list! It is a theft. If they know from the beginning they have no places why on earth the accept applications and get fees?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EastWest
I don't get your point? Do you mean why I think it is the only school that offered places for all my kids? They told me this. I applied for half a dozen of schools and ripped me off with applications fees only to put one of my kids on the waiting list! It is a theft. If they know from the beginning they have no places why on earth the accept applications and get fees?
The point she is making is that only the schools viewed as shit still have places.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The point she is making is that only the schools viewed as shit still have places.
hmmmmmmmm. This is frustrating! But I heard the school is new ?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EastWest
hmmmmmmmm. This is frustrating! But I heard the school is new ?
New doesn't mean good, it means no track record or established systems etc.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Put them all in that one AD slowly try and get them into the ones you want over time
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

If any school is saying they are offering a british curriculum, walk away as there is no such thing.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaserMan
If any school is saying they are offering a british curriculum, walk away as there is no such thing.
So you are saying people should walk away from DESS and Doha College ?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alexa
So you are saying people should walk away from DESS and Doha College ?
As I said there is no such thing as a British curriculum. There is the English one, Scottish and Irish. All provide different certificates, some better than others e.g. Scottish.
Old May 28th 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

lalasmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading through this thread it looks a little daunting! Trying to start the process bit by bit. So two years school reports required. If we are starting to apply for two children for Sep 15, one will be going into year 1 then and one into year 4. Youngest starting in reception at a British Style International School in Europe this year so won't have any school report to hand for her, will have to enquire what happens in this case.

Question, how possible is it to have children attending two different schools, are any of them close enough to each other with staggered opening times to make it feasible?
Old May 28th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lalasmum
Just reading through this thread it looks a little daunting! Trying to start the process bit by bit. So two years school reports required. If we are starting to apply for two children for Sep 15, one will be going into year 1 then and one into year 4. Youngest starting in reception at a British Style International School in Europe this year so won't have any school report to hand for her, will have to enquire what happens in this case.

Question, how possible is it to have children attending two different schools, are any of them close enough to each other with staggered opening times to make it feasible?
Some schools give siblings priority , most schools are on the same timings , there could be a slight difference but remember a 1KM journey during rush hour could take you 30mins here.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Lalasmum, I'm in the exact same boat as you. Need British Year 4 and Year 1, or American Grade 3 and Kindergarten.

Applied for nearly every school out there, and then was told that assessments could only be performed in person, and we'd have to wait until we land in Doha mid-summer to perform assessments and thus get a spot on the waiting list.

If you find any information with regards to schools that still have room (we were also told that Newton-Barwa had spots), can you keep me in the loop - I'll do the same for you!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Deebs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, new to this forum - have arrived in Doha just 2 weeks ago. Thought you might be interested to know that Doha British School is opening a new R-4 campus at Al Wakra and have places available. Might be suitable for those living out near the airport?
Hope it helps.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

yomii is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I have been offered a job in Doha to work for HMC as an IT Manager payscale 112, between 25k and 30k per month.
We are a family of 5, myself, wife and 3 kids (6, 5 and 2). HMC will pay 21,000 per year per child for school fees and accomodation. I will be placed in Barwa City, any updates on schools? i heard there is a long waiting list in schools and fees are expensive. I am planning to come to Doha next week to see the city and visit some schools near Barwa, any tips for my trip? i will be there for 5 days with my wife to see the place before accepting the offer.

Thanks
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

yomii is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deebs
Hi all, new to this forum - have arrived in Doha just 2 weeks ago. Thought you might be interested to know that Doha British School is opening a new R-4 campus at Al Wakra and have places available. Might be suitable for those living out near the airport?
Hope it helps.
Hi Deeb,

Hows Doha, is it what you expected it to be? Have you been to Barwa City? Moving to a different country is tough but have to accept change. Thanks
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

this post is to say to East West, Alexa, RussSarah and all the others who supported me in the "school hunting process" that at the end we had an offer by American Community School for 4th grade and we accepted it.

Also Compass waiting list is running. Our Daughter was 13, now she is 6th in the waiting list.

Any recommendation about ACS is welcome. EastWest, what did you do at the end? Sarah, did you find the school for your 8years old boy?

ciao, Primula