Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

schools in Doha, any update?

schools in Doha, any update?

Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools in Doha, any update?

Originally Posted by EastWest
Hello again
What is your take on Newton School in Barawa City?
Out of all schools I applied for, I got one confirmed place for my eldest son. It seems the places for little kids are more scarce than the older ones. While I don't like having my kids in different schools, I don't want them to be in a poor-reputation school. Still waiting for reply from Doha College, International School of London and Sherborne school. I recently contacted Newton school and they said they have places for all of them.
I know the school in Barwa is in the middle of nowhere, but is it a good school?
Thanks.
Most people i know with kids in schools here are disappointed with the level of education their kids get for the extortionate cost that they pay.

Basically schools are of a poor standard here compared to other Gulf countries , it's one of the major stumbling blocks in the progress of Qatar. Theres just not enough schools for expats .

Most people now are just relieved to get their children into a place and they deal with the rest later as it's the biggest constraint for a family. My wife works as an adminstration manager for a school here in Doha so i get the low down over egg & chips every night .

Newton hasnt got the best reputation but none of them have , it's very very difficult to pick out a top ranking school . You'll find schools kind of replicate life in Qatar generally as in there's one or two decent ones and the rest are sub standard but you just put up with it .

They've announced yesterday that they'll build 85 new schools here but don't hold your breath , that might take 20 years in Qatari time .
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Durham boy

I am concerned of what you say about "poor standards" of schools and I need to ask you a more detailed explanation.

What do people complain for, exactly? Teachers abilities, curriculum, what children actually learn? these are - to me - the most important things.

If they complain about facilities (rooms, computers, sport facilities etc) I don't mind very much provided that teachers are capable and children learn and are willing to learn.

I would be very happy if you can explain, in order to know what do I have to face.
Thank you very much
Primula
Old Apr 4th 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

I wonder what sort of obstacles do Qataris have not to establish enough schools to meet the ever increasing demand. With fees high in the sky, schools are a good business more than anything else. As Primularossa said, why schools have poor reputations? Two years ago I visited some schools in Doha, but that was a short visit to establish an idea about how good/bad they are. As for other GCC countries, I can’t judge on all of them but have seen schools in KSA. Based on what I have seen in Doha versus KSA I can say Doha schools are much better than KSA ones. Almost all international schools in KSA have non-native English speakers (the only exception is the British school, which is toooooo expensive). Kids will most likely pick up sub-continent accent. Yet, their fee is too high.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Salzburg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello guys

Sorry for posting on this topic again as it has been discussed before, but I seek updated information. I recently got a job offer in Qatar/Doha and the offer package includes school coverage (tuition only), regardless to the fee amount.
I know all the stories about school places but I wonder if the problem is still the same these days as before? I do not want to mess out and would like to get my kids in a very good British school (my preference) or Australian (second option, if available) or American school (third on the list). My questions are:
-What are the good British/Australian (if any)/American schools in Doha?
-Are there places in any of them?
-What is your recommendation on this: bringing kids directly with me or going first? Knowing that the job offer includes fully furnished accommodation for the whole family and flights are covered?
-The school year in Australia starts in February and ends before x-mass. This is not the case in Qatar where the school year starts in September and ends in May/June. What is your recommendation on this?

Thanks very much,
Hi,
I was just in Doha this week, I got back to the USA yesterday. I toured around a few schools and can tell you that getting a place is tough but not impossible. Depending upon who you will work for may dictate if you can get a spot. For example I was at the American School of Doha (ASD) on Tuesday. Their order of accepting students is: 1. Siblings of existing students, 2. kids of people working for 9 oil and gas companies that have a contract with the ASD, 3. everyone else. I'm in category 3-everyone else. The girl who showed us around said that it is virtually impossible to get kids in from Pre-K to grade 3. Grades 4 and 5 is a reasonable chance, middle school grades is a good chance and high school is the easiest to get into. It is the most amazing school i have ever visited, with no shortage of resources. It even has a travel agents inside!

The best thing to do is ask your employer who they have a contract with. My employer Sidra Hospital has contracts with a few schools so last week we got a place at a British school for my 2 kids.

Best of luck and be persistent!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Salzburg
Hi,
I was just in Doha this week, I got back to the USA yesterday. I toured around a few schools and can tell you that getting a place is tough but not impossible. Depending upon who you will work for may dictate if you can get a spot. For example I was at the American School of Doha (ASD) on Tuesday. Their order of accepting students is: 1. Siblings of existing students, 2. kids of people working for 9 oil and gas companies that have a contract with the ASD, 3. everyone else. I'm in category 3-everyone else. The girl who showed us around said that it is virtually impossible to get kids in from Pre-K to grade 3. Grades 4 and 5 is a reasonable chance, middle school grades is a good chance and high school is the easiest to get into. It is the most amazing school i have ever visited, with no shortage of resources. It even has a travel agents inside!

The best thing to do is ask your employer who they have a contract with. My employer Sidra Hospital has contracts with a few schools so last week we got a place at a British school for my 2 kids.

Thanks Salzburg for feedback. I am in the third category as you. I did not apply for ASD as their application form is so complicated. They require forms to be filled by each teacher in the current school, as well as a medical form to be filled by JP. Every form should be sent by the teacher who filled it. It is easier to apply for Harvard than ASD. In the end it is American school and my kids are in British ones.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Salzburg
Hi,

Don't confuse resources with teaching.

My son's school has a marble reception - yet no PVA glue in the classrooms.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primularossa
Dear Durham boy

I am concerned of what you say about "poor standards" of schools and I need to ask you a more detailed explanation.

What do people complain for, exactly? Teachers abilities, curriculum, what children actually learn? these are - to me - the most important things.

If they complain about facilities (rooms, computers, sport facilities etc) I don't mind very much provided that teachers are capable and children learn and are willing to learn.

I would be very happy if you can explain, in order to know what do I have to face.
Thank you very much
Primula
Everything is watered down , from teachers qualifications to the running of the SEC .
Qatar is a developing at such a rate that education , infrastructure and health services cant keep up and it's no secret that the Qatari's havent got a scooby doo how to handle it .

No different to other Gulf countries going through their first boom .
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:29 am
Just Joined

sirAlex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mg dali
Hello all.
We are planning to moving to Qatar by May 2014.Everything is sorted except schools, which is the most important one. We've got an 8 year old and a 7 year old. I've spoken and visited a few schools,where the waiting list is really long,and most probably my kids won't get a place until 2015. The only school they might get in is Newton Academy in Berwa City. Anyone knows anything about Newton Group of schools???
Newton Academy in Barwa is really good. They have a great principle there, he is a brit
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirAlex
Newton Academy in Barwa is really good. They have a great principle there, he is a brit
Principal.

Is his name Alex?
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Principal.

Is his name Alex?
sorry weasel, accepted correction.
no he aint an Alex, my kids couldn't take the "hairdryer"
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:12 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

sorry weasel, accepted correction.
no he aint an Alex, my kids couldn't take the "hairdryer"
I thought he might be at a loose end since Moyes took over. I like the thought of a bunch of Qatari kids going around with some kind of impenetrable Glaswegian accent.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

I like to hear more about this school, so appreciate if you tell me. It is the only school that indicated they have places for all my kids.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:32 am
Just Joined

I like to hear more about this school, so appreciate if you tell me. It is the only school that indicated they have places for all my kids.
they're happy there, they do the Brit national curriculum, I have no complaints, most imporatntly I get no complaints form the kids
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Can anyone guide me with the best British Schools in Doha for my kindergarten kid

Newton International Academy in Barwa has a Brit curriculum. It's good
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

And why do you think that is the case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.