Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

School Recommendations for 28K?

School Recommendations for 28K?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Waqs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School Recommendations for 28K?

Looking for school recommendations in Dubai for two kids.

8 and 12 years old. British Curriculum.

Max affordable fee per year (per child) = 28k

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:27 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Recommendations for 28K?

er... good luck on that one! My daughter's UK Curriculum nursery is 30k, and that's middle-of-the-range!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
er... good luck on that one! My daughter's UK Curriculum nursery is 30k, and that's middle-of-the-range!
As long as the school is decent it doesn't bother me much. Doesn't have to be top ranked

They are straight A students regardless
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:22 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waqs
As long as the school is decent it doesn't bother me much. Doesn't have to be top ranked

They are straight A students regardless
that's part of the issue. The schools here seem to think education is a license to print money. Other people (I don't have school-age kids) have said that they have to pay UK Public School fees for an average education.

Have a look on ExpatWoman for schools threads - beware it's a rather emotive subject! Once you sift through the gossip and speculation, you can get an idea of good ones to apply for.

There is a standards body of sorts, called the KDHA, which has produced a league table, but know that their main criteria seem to be how the school meets arabic studies - even the UK curriculum ones.

As I said - good luck. I think you will be hard pushed to find halfway decent schools at the levels you need for the money you're talking about.

Here, have a list of Dubai schools... I'm not sure how current it is, but it'll be a starting point.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:15 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waqs
Looking for school recommendations in Dubai for two kids.

8 and 12 years old. British Curriculum.

Max affordable fee per year (per child) = 28k

Thank you in advance
You will be looking at paying at least double 28k for your 12 year old. Fees for my daughter at Secondary School are I think 50k, maybe more and this is one of only 2 non profit schools
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
that's part of the issue. The schools here seem to think education is a license to print money. Other people (I don't have school-age kids) have said that they have to pay UK Public School fees for an average education.

Have a look on ExpatWoman for schools threads - beware it's a rather emotive subject! Once you sift through the gossip and speculation, you can get an idea of good ones to apply for.

There is a standards body of sorts, called the KDHA, which has produced a league table, but know that their main criteria seem to be how the school meets arabic studies - even the UK curriculum ones.

As I said - good luck. I think you will be hard pushed to find halfway decent schools at the levels you need for the money you're talking about.

Here, have a list of Dubai schools... I'm not sure how current it is, but it'll be a starting point.
Yeah I came across a few KDHA reports for 2009-10. Kinda pointless to be honest as most of their teaching evaluation is based on arabic studies and islamic studies as you mentioned. God knows what the hell that is about.

Thanks for taking the time to advise
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the others, you wont' find a british school within your budget. Schooling here is expensive and not that great to be honest. We pay more for our kids here than we did in private schooling in Australia, but the facilities and standard of education at the schools here are equivalent or less than the free state schools at home.