Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Saudi - Dubai Commute (Weekly)

Saudi - Dubai Commute (Weekly)

Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice
Default Saudi - Dubai Commute (Weekly)

Hi All,

Is it possible to work in Saudi during the working week and then travel back to Dubai (Where I intend to base my wife and two young children) at weekends? My intention is to do 4-days in Saudi and 3-days in Dubai week in, week out.

Is this possible, or will it become unsustainable/ tiresome?

I presume Bahrain is completely out of the question at the moment??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Saudi - Dubai Commute (Weekly)

If you work in the Eastern Region Bahrain is doable and is done. Need to get advice on where to live and like petrol bombs and tear gas.

I know a few people that do work in Riyadh and or Jeddah who's families are in DXB, they normally do every other weekend in Dubai and get 40 days holiday in KSA?

Its doable but you would need someone to sponsor them in DXB for them to stay without keep getting visit visa's and the kids can't go to school without a residence visa.

Enjoy
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Many thanks - sounds as grim as everyone else on here portrays. I also have a potential opportunity in Qatar, and despite the widespread boredom factor I keep reading about, I may look into that.

How far is it from Doha to Dubai? Is it a 1-hr flight??
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Hour Flight but its the shit at either end that take up the time.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I could have made it sound a lot grimer. Riyadh is the second worst place I have ever visited, Khobar is a bit better and Bahrain is OK but could turn into a full blown war zone any min. Qatar is all glitzzy on the surface till you scratch a bit then its like Saudi with booze and women less covered.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:32 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Used to travel weekly from Abu Dhabi to Saudi. Bearable then since I used to fly into BAH and complete the customs/immigration formalities from the back seat of a big, comfy, cool (literally) car. However, with Bahrain on the brink of implosion, that doesn't sound so good now. If its Dammam you'd have to fly into/out of, perhaps think again unless you have endless patience and tolerance of being treated like shit--awful bloody airport.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Agree with DMM but they all have their bad days. Remember one guys said Yambu was the best during some jumped up woman saying we were all negative about the place?