Safe Driver

Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:59 am
W10

Default Re: Safe Driver

It's an idea I had discussed extensively with a local businessman about a year ago.

But the research seemed to show that it would have a low take-up.

The main problem is that there is a big drinking and driving culture here, and until people actually start getting caught (and that means the police doing random pulls) then the culture won't change.

Good luck to them but I think it's a little too early.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:15 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
It's an idea I had discussed extensively with a local businessman about a year ago.

But the research seemed to show that it would have a low take-up.

The main problem is that there is a big drinking and driving culture here, and until people actually start getting caught (and that means the police doing random pulls) then the culture won't change.

Good luck to them but I think it's a little too early.
Is that so? In our 'cirle of friends' nobody ever drinks and drives, it's one of the things that we all think it the most stupid thing to do and are aware of the zero tolerance....We always take taxi's. It's not so much the fear of being pulled over, because that is very unlikely to happen, but getting involved in some accident (much bigger chance).
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:24 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Is that so? In our 'cirle of friends' nobody ever drinks and drives, it's one of the things that we all think it the most stupid thing to do and are aware of the zero tolerance....We always take taxi's. It's not so much the fear of being pulled over, because that is very unlikely to happen, but getting involved in some accident (much bigger chance).
That's what I don't get, because I know for a fact that it does go on, despite the grim warnings of the zero tolerance approach and the consequences. But then you see what happened to that Indian guy who crashed on SZR last year, killing 3 passengers. He got 3 months in jail and ordered to pay blood money. What kind of punishment and deterrent is that? The people who do it consistently get away with it, otherwise they wouldn't do it. I would never do it, and think it's completely inexcusable. It's not just your own life you're gambling with.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Mar 20th 2007 at 11:26 am.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:51 am
W10

It's rampant amongst Arabs (especially Lebanese) and middle aged Europeans.

I'd say at least 35% of the people I know have drunk and driven and quite a few of them have done it whilst paraletic.

You only get caught if you crash.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's what I don't get, because I know for a fact that it does go on, despite the grim warnings of the zero tolerance approach and the consequences. But then you see what happened to that Indian guy who crashed on SZR last year, killing 3 passengers. He got 3 months in jail and ordered to pay blood money. What kind of punishment and deterrent is that? The people who do it consistently get away with it, otherwise they wouldn't do it. I would never do it, and think it's completely inexcusable. It's not just your own life you're gambling with.
Quite agree, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the "zero tolerance" approach. We need random checks and serious jail time for offenders. The roads are dangerous enough when you are sober.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:39 pm

Boydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Quite agree, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the "zero tolerance" approach. We need random checks and serious jail time for offenders. The roads are dangerous enough when you are sober.
But what will that do for the zero crime rate in Dubai?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:47 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boydy101
But what will that do for the zero crime rate in Dubai?
Zero crime rate?

*dies laughing*
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:59 pm
W10

One month in prison for denting your car and being caught over the limit

Three to six months for killing someone while ****ed

either way you get your licence back if you stay in the country.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that isn't quite what I meant by "serious jail time".......
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:54 pm

Boydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Zero crime rate?

*dies laughing*
LJ, you're not implying I've been duped by the tourist board into believing that Dubai is a utopian paradise that it in fact isn't?

Damn it! I'm cancelling the flight!

Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

LJ, you're not implying I've been duped by the tourist board into believing that Dubai is a utopian paradise that it in fact isn't?

can you still send over the stotties and pease pudding then?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
can you still send over the stotties and pease pudding then?
Sorry there's going to b e no room for either - not sure what customs would make of an industrial sized pot of pease pudding!!
http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/recipes/pease.html - there's a recipe for you though!

Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry there's going to b e no room for either - not sure what customs would make of an industrial sized pot of pease pudding!!
http://www.bobjude.co.uk/bobjude/recipes/pease.html - there's a recipe for you though!

thanks I will share it with MJC!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:09 pm
Excess Baggage

Sorry, can't talk. Still laughing.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:19 am
Concierge

I watch with interest for Boydy's opinion after his first week in Utopia. So far he is doing well - furnished accom, near work, no driving . Things to look forward to

Getting visa
Getting driving license
Finding affordable accomodation - probably the hardest bit!!!
Driving - not nice for newcomers
Trying to find places !!! nightmare!!!

Good luck 101!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.