Running Jeddah

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Running Jeddah

Boys and maybe not girls.

I'm in Jeddah most of next week and staying at the Radisson Blu. I am now obsessed by running and hate treadmills. Can I run down the cornich in Jeddah and if so what are the dress requirements. My usual running shorts will not do but can I wear shorts of any kind or only track suit bottoms.

Cheers

Mike
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:45 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Running Jeddah

Originally Posted by spartans53
I'm in Jeddah most of next week and staying at the Radisson Blu. I am now obsessed by running and hate treadmills. Can I run down the cornich in Jeddah and if so what are the dress requirements. My usual running shorts will not do but can I wear shorts of any kind or only track suit bottoms.
Cheers
Mike
You will get funny looks whatever you wear as it will be over 100degF in the shade and probably 80% humidity. Personally I would wear track suit bottoms, not so much out of cultural requirement but more to avoid getting harrassed by the local Arab gay population. Enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Cheers

Mike
I was running on the corniche myself yesterday evening - humid yes, but not as bad as Dubai. I take a small flannel and mop my brow every now and again! I still get out every second/third evening despite the onset of summer weather.

Yes, in shorts you would stand out. I wear 3/4 length track pants (mid-way down the calf) - no problem with that. I also wear a 'T' top, as a running vest would also not really be on.

Don't see many other runners about; there is a running club, but not the season. So far as I know, Jeddah HHH meet Thurs afternoons, however, I have never been having to work then.

On leave from the end of the week - back for some nice chilly runs in the Peak District!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

BB

Running in DXB at the Mo so Jeddah just the same. Will have a dig in the wardrobe to see what sort of cultural attire I have.

Cheers for the info HHH are a bit of a pain except in Khartoum as you get three cans of green beverage which is very welcome in the real sandpit.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

BB

Running in DXB at the Mo so Jeddah just the same. Will have a dig in the wardrobe to see what sort of cultural attire I have.

Cheers for the info HHH are a bit of a pain except in Khartoum as you get three cans of green beverage which is very welcome in the real sandpit.
Africa is indeed the best place for hashing. I ran with Accra HHH in Ghana and (of course!) Bonny Island HHH in Nigeria.

Went to the Africa inter-hash in Mombasa Kenya, 2003ish - brilliant!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Africa is indeed the best place for hashing. I ran with Accra HHH in Ghana and (of course!) Bonny Island HHH in Nigeria.

Went to the Africa inter-hash in Mombasa Kenya, 2003ish - brilliant!
used to run on the BH7 Hash as a nipper with the old man in the 1980s in exotic places such as Haywards Heath. Still got my log book somewhere.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:10 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the corniche run in shorts - albeit at midnight - with no problems at all. It does feel more comfortable (in social if not temperature terms) in 3/4 length trousers though.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

saw an expat running in central Riyadh last week wearing running shorts and vest - I don't know how far he got ! I stick to track bottoms with the lining cut out and coolmax T - there are many in 3/4 length shorts.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

A.alasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers

Mike
sure you can but god help you
the heat is so match

so take care
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The Heat was special this week offically over 50 on Monday. Anyhow what about Khobar as I'm back in the magic Kingdom on Monday night?

Mike
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyone fancy a run down the corniche next Saturday night about 9pm? Got a full week in the Magic Kingdom and need to keep up the miles