Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rugby Clubs in Dubai

Rugby Clubs in Dubai

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Adam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really nice
Default Rugby Clubs in Dubai

Afternoon everyone,

Does anyone know of a good rugby club to join? I know the Exiles are the biggest but the stadium is pretty far away and not so sure I can regularly make it to training as I work long hours. So ideally somewhere not so far away...?

If not then I am a big footy player too so a well located Football club?

Many thanks.

A
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rugby Clubs in Dubai

DO NOT JOIN THE EXILES.

Hurricanes train at the 7s on Monday and Wednesday.
Dragons at Centre of Excelence in Jebel Ali ( Shooting Club )not sure training days
These are the three top clubs they all have two teams and the first teams are quite good.

The rest are Frogs ( mainly french expats )
Toa group of Kiwis and Arabs who have some very good players
Wasp new club just won UAE 2 Div Trevor Leota plays for them.
Pot Bellies are a very social team and play at the CofE dont think they have ever won a game and sing ring a ring a roses before the game and play in bright yellow and pink.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Adam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really niceAdam23 is just really nice

HAHAHA the potbellies sound like a bunch of nutters! Thanks for the info. Out of interest why no the Exiles?
Originally Posted by spartans53
DO NOT JOIN THE EXILES.

Hurricanes train at the 7s on Monday and Wednesday.
Dragons at Centre of Excelence in Jebel Ali ( Shooting Club )not sure training days
These are the three top clubs they all have two teams and the first teams are quite good.

The rest are Frogs ( mainly french expats )
Toa group of Kiwis and Arabs who have some very good players
Wasp new club just won UAE 2 Div Trevor Leota plays for them.
Pot Bellies are a very social team and play at the CofE dont think they have ever won a game and sing ring a ring a roses before the game and play in bright yellow and pink.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Not the best social team and going through a very rough patch and would not be the best fun.

If you are any good Hurricanes or Dragons would be the best bet.

PM me if you want any more details
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

I played at school (4 years ago) and was pretty good. So I doubt I would be first XI standard at the mo...what is the satndard of the 2nds Dragons & Hurricanes?Thanks

Not the best social team and going through a very rough patch and would not be the best fun.

If you are any good Hurricanes or Dragons would be the best bet.

PM me if you want any more details
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

2nd Team league or the UAE conference is quite good at the top level and if you have played a bit before you should do OK. As with all rugby clubs if you want to play back row or 9,10,12 or 13 then places are quite hard to get. If you are front row they will kick off when you can make it.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Lies I tell you! The Bellies beat Exiles II last week in Shj. I don't play anymore (left the sandpit ages ago) but if you want a team that take their rugby seriously and their fun even more seriously, then you can't go far wrong with the Belies. There is more to the club than meets the eye, between the fund raising, regular tours (Fat Boy 10s in Manila ), socials most weeks (sessions and family days) and the distinct lack of 'established club' bullshit, you won't find a nicer bunch. As part of the global Pot Bellied Pigs RFC (renamed locally for obvious reasons), they're a big part of a great rugby tradition too.
Find them on Facebook at Arabian Potbellies RFC and tell them PB Christian Dior sent you.
Good luck

PS - and it's the Hokey Kokey not ring-a-ring a rosie!