Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Road Trip DXB > Bahhrain or Doha

Road Trip DXB > Bahhrain or Doha

Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road Trip DXB > Bahhrain or Doha

Hello forum, long time no speak! Apologies, we have been busy piling on the pounds like most newcomers to Dubai!

Anyway, now we are all sorted and have bought vehicles, I am interested in driving to Doha or Bahrian from Dubai.

Has anyone got previous experience of doing this, or do you know of any paperwork that is required or what pitfalls etc that lie before me?

My wife and I like long road trips, we drove from our home in Cheltenham to near Salzburg in Austria for a 10 day holiday. With a little help from doing 140mph on the Autobahns we managed 14hrs door to door!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:46 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip DXB > Bahhrain or Doha

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
Hello forum, long time no speak! Apologies, we have been busy piling on the pounds like most newcomers to Dubai!

Anyway, now we are all sorted and have bought vehicles, I am interested in driving to Doha or Bahrian from Dubai.

Has anyone got previous experience of doing this, or do you know of any paperwork that is required or what pitfalls etc that lie before me?

My wife and I like long road trips, we drove from our home in Cheltenham to near Salzburg in Austria for a 10 day holiday. With a little help from doing 140mph on the Autobahns we managed 14hrs door to door!
I really am of no help! a friend of mine drove from here to the UK many years ago and the main problem they had was that she couldn't drive in Syria I think it was, but that was a long time ago. Good luck with it though!!
BC
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:04 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

You might struggle getting Saudi visas.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:21 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You crazy fool!

How's things at MP?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:32 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You might struggle getting Saudi visas.
By the looks of things, road transit visas are the only ones they're likely to have a chance of getting without actually having business in Saudi and being invited there.

Quote from Arab Net :

"Road transit visas

These are relatively straightforward. People driving between Jordan and either Yemen or Kuwait are normally given three-day transit visas. These are usually issued only by the embassies in Amman or Sana'a. You are required to go to the embassy with your carnet and a visa for the country at the other end of the trip.
People driving between Bahrain, Qatar or the UAE and Jordan are often given seven-day transit visas.
People driving between Oman and Jordan are required to get the transit visa in Abu Dhabi.
However, bear in mind that all of this information is unreliable, as it appears to be the Saudi nature that there are no hard and fast rules regarding transit visas. Stories are legion of individuals who obtain visas in their country of origin only to find them invalid at the Saudi border, or who arrive at the Saudi border having been instructed by their local Saudi embassy that this is the appropriate place to source a transit visa, only to be told that only an embassy can issue a transit visa.

The basic rule, then, is to double-check all of your facts with your local Saudi embassy and, if possible, with the authorities in Saudi Arabia."

The bigger issue, though, is why would any Westerner want to drive through a country where they could easily end up being shot at, and which is officially considered to have the most dangerous driving in the world (based on deaths per kilometre of road)?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:34 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

driving down to the Oman was bad enough for me! so boring. If you want a long run out why not try driving down to Salalah.