Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh weekly commuting from Bahrain?

Riyadh weekly commuting from Bahrain?

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:37 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh weekly commuting from Bahrain?

My family and I are currently based in Bahrain but work for me is coming to an end. We don't want to pull our daughter out of her final year in primary school and hence I am looking at other work options that will keep me occupied until we return to the UK next June. Opportunities in Bahrain are thin on the ground but there looks to be a good chance that I will get an offer from a company in Riyadh. The big question is how practical is it to be in Riyadh for 5 days a week and commute back to Bahrain for the Saudi weekend? Would there be a long period of time when I couldn't leave Saudi because of getting residence visas etc? If it is a practical option would it be better to fly or go by road? Does anyone have any experience of this?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh weekly commuting from Bahrain?

I came back to Khobar yesterday after 10 days in Riyadh,
I was lucky and the road was empty it took me about 4 hours drive time with a short 10 min break half way up.
Now if you add on the Causeway well that can take some days less than one hour and some evenings (Wed) about 3 hours.
Then your drive while in Bahrain its self.
If you do break down its a hell of a road not the best places for help.
For me i would fly its only less than One Hour flight.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:00 am
UK

Originally Posted by coffindodger
I came back to Khobar yesterday after 10 days in Riyadh,
I was lucky and the road was empty it took me about 4 hours drive time with a short 10 min break half way up.
Now if you add on the Causeway well that can take some days less than one hour and some evenings (Wed) about 3 hours.
Then your drive while in Bahrain its self.
If you do break down its a hell of a road not the best places for help.
For me i would fly its only less than One Hour flight.
Thanks. Certainly don't relish the road journey from your description. I hear that the airport queues in Riyadh are pretty horrendous as well but maybe that is the preferable option.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Two guys that I used to work with both live in Bahrain and travel to Riyadh and back on a weekly basis.

One used to do the drive, just so that he had a car in Riyadh, but ultimately both decided that it was less hassle to fly rather than face the drive, especially on a Wednesday going over the causeway.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:09 am
UK

Originally Posted by MaserMan
Two guys that I used to work with both live in Bahrain and travel to Riyadh and back on a weekly basis.

One used to do the drive, just so that he had a car in Riyadh, but ultimately both decided that it was less hassle to fly rather than face the drive, especially on a Wednesday going over the causeway.
Thanks MaserMan, much appreciated. Does anyone have any info on how long I would potentially be stuck in the Kingdom for whilst residence permits etc were being processed?
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RJB123
Thanks MaserMan, much appreciated. Does anyone have any info on how long I would potentially be stuck in the Kingdom for whilst residence permits etc were being processed?
How long is a piece of string?

There is no pre-determined time as to how long before you get your iqama. A lot has to do with your company and whether they have the correct visa for your nationality and job type. The biggest problem is that once you come in on your business visa you cannot leave until the process is complete, otherwise you are back to square one and have to start the application again which will include medicals etc in your country of domicile.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:40 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Be sure that MULTI exit-reentry visa for you is included in your contract. Otherwise you will need to beg your employer to issue you a new visa every week. Not to mention 200 SAR each.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:21 am
UK

Originally Posted by northbadawi
Be sure that MULTI exit-reentry visa for you is included in your contract. Otherwise you will need to beg your employer to issue you a new visa every week. Not to mention 200 SAR each.
Thanks. Will certainly do that. At this stage Saudi certainly isn't my first choice but it is likely to be the first one and possibly ony one to materialise. Need to sort out in my own mind whether the pain is worth the gain or whether I should gamble on something better coming along.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Ok, I'll play devil's advocate.....you're considering doing this because of your daughter's last year of primary school! It's a bit extreme or am I missing something?

It's not the end of the world to leave before she finishes, she'll get over it so long as you don't make a big deal of it. She'll make new friends at her new school and move on. You would be surprised.

It's not high school which would be more unsettling in the last few years.

Last edited by Work Widow; Sep 25th 2012 at 5:22 pm. Reason: More info