Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying second hand motorbikes in Muscat?

Buying second hand motorbikes in Muscat?

Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Stuza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying second hand motorbikes in Muscat?

Hey guys

anyone know where to buy second hand motorbikes in Muscat? I can't find any for sale, even Dubizzle only has maybe one or two new adverts a month and these are mostly Harley/Cruiser types (I'm after sports or motorcross).

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:52 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying second hand motorbikes in Muscat?

Originally Posted by Stuza
Hey guys

anyone know where to buy second hand motorbikes in Muscat? I can't find any for sale, even Dubizzle only has maybe one or two new adverts a month and these are mostly Harley/Cruiser types (I'm after sports or motorcross).

Thanks!
Hey Stuza,

Apart from Dubizzle im not sure...There are alot of Sports Bike riders that hang around the Corniche on Thursday nights, you could try asking them
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:55 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys

Thanks!
There used to be quite a few Oman based peeps on here, maybe one of them will respond... if no joy, send me a Facebook message and ill ask around for you .

Rgds
Dodgers
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:11 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys
Thanks!
I can't help except to say its motocross, also don't buy a motocross bike for the desert etc buy an enduro model. (looks similar except has a headlight, radiator fan and much better gear ratios)
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I can't help except to say its motocross, also don't buy a motocross bike for the desert etc buy an enduro model. (looks similar except has a headlight, radiator fan and much better gear ratios)
lol - you seen the selection I have on Dubizzle!?!?

Thanks Jammy, will do
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:35 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

lol - you seen the selection I have on Dubizzle!?!?
I looked and the ktm 525exc is a decent motor, the exc tag should mean the owner has all the bits and bobs like lights, road exhaust and rad fan to make it more road friendly. Very nice understressed motor in it also. Just check how many gears it has, one model had 4 the other 5. the 5 geared one is better.

avoid the crfs, they run very hot
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I looked and the ktm 525exc is a decent motor, the exc tag should mean the owner has all the bits and bobs like lights, road exhaust and rad fan to make it more road friendly. Very nice understressed motor in it also. Just check how many gears it has, one model had 4 the other 5. the 5 geared one is better.

avoid the crfs, they run very hot
I am torn and if it was just up the road i'd grab it probably but sadly, its a few hundred Km's away. I might try and see if I can get to him on Thursday afternoon though.

The other thing is, as this will spend 75% time on the road, I'll also have to invest in some road wheels and tyres (so add another £800 on top of it).
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:32 am
Up in the air

I am torn and if it was just up the road i'd grab it probably but sadly, its a few hundred Km's away. I might try and see if I can get to him on Thursday afternoon though.

The other thing is, as this will spend 75% time on the road, I'll also have to invest in some road wheels and tyres (so add another £800 on top of it).
If its gonna be on the road all the time..... just get a road bike :P

What about a Ducati HyperMotard?..
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:32 am
Knee deep and rising

No need for road wheels, just get a decent or hard wearing dual sport tyre. It will work fine. If you change the wheels (supermoto style) you might have to change the brake discs, offset the calipers and all kinds of shit like that.
Its a hassle.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:52 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Jammy_Dodgers;10298729
What about a Ducati HyperMotard?..[/QUOTE]

Cool - you see one on Dubizzle? ;-)
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:59 am
Up in the air

Cool - you see one on Dubizzle? ;-)
Buy a new one you tight-wad!... its not as if you are paying tax!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Buy a new one you tight-wad!... its not as if you are paying tax!
Yeah but I do have a wife expecting a morgage free house when we get home!

Besides, as you know, been there, done that, on new bikes and I just can't handle losing 40% of the value riding it out of the show room.

p.s. 'coz I actually have really grown to like the idea of off-roading now.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:13 pm
Up in the air

Yeah but I do have a wife expecting a morgage free house when we get home!

Besides, as you know, been there, done that, on new bikes and I just can't handle losing 40% of the value riding it out of the show room.

p.s. 'coz I actually have really grown to like the idea of off-roading now.
Yeah... I had the best intentions of being mortgage and debt free when I started contracting...................................12 years ago!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Yeah... I had the best intentions of being mortgage and debt free when I started contracting...................................12 years ago!
Yeah but you're gona struggle to get that way with Boxters with exploding engines and a bazillion flights all around the (mostly) southern hemisphere!

You got the Ducati yet?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:58 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

most people don't ride motorbikes (except Harleys - and even those are imported and then exported) to work unless they are Asian labourers (yeah yeah gross generalisation, but there ya go).

the main reason is that labourers can't afford to buy a car, those that can, do. Those that I know who ride a bike, none of them have lasted more than a year without broken limbs.

One guy (expat) was stopped, signalling to turn left on a service road. Binti in a Porsche Cayenne drove straight into the back of him as she was too busy on her phone. Claimed she wasn't. Luckily the police here check all mobile phone records in the case of a serious accident (aside, "serious" here means police get involved, "serious" is only when someone is hurt bad enough to need an ambulance, otherwise accidents are so common that the police just leave it up to the insurance companies to sort out. insurance is expensive here).

Our carpenter / go to guy (Asian expat) broke his arm last month. 6 months ago, I saw a guy being hit by a Landcruiser in the opposite side of the motorway, he went flying into our side, and was literally decapitated by an oncoming car three ahead of me.

Buy a Jeep safari like everyone else. Baaaaa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.