Reload this Page >

Riyadh Job offer and expenses

Riyadh Job offer and expenses

Old Sep 28th 2023, 2:19 am
Just Joined

StrangeEmu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh Job offer and expenses

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster here. I've gleaned a lot of information on the forums and I thank those contributing. It really helps the decision making process.

I've got this offer in Riyadh that I'm super tempted by. It pays 45k All inclusive so not too bad compared with what I'm on in the UK.

My key question is.. how feasible is it to live in Riyadh as a single person (no family) on SAR 6500? I need to rent a flat (found a halfway decent one bed off compound for 45k a year) pay for utilities including whatever it costs to get internet and a decent mobile phone contract, groceries and getting around. I'm really keen to put the rest of my sal back into paying off my mortgage as quick as I can.

I also want to be completely debt free in Saudi. I don't want a credit card or a car loan or anything else. I aim to live like a monk and given the dearth of entertaining beverages, this shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I'd also like to put a little bit of the 6500 aside toward an emergency exit fund if possible. Doesn't need to be huge. Maybe 200-300 would be ideal.

I don't want to spend a load of cash on a car as I see it as a total waste. My prospective flat is around 15km from my work. Are taxis cheap enough/regular enough to be a long term solution, bearing in mind I'm probably looking to spend tops 800-1000 on travel and I need to get into work everyday. I'm guessing public transport doesn't exist. I could potentially buy a banger and just scrap it when it breaks to buy another banger but given my nonexistent negotiation/mechanical skills, this is fraught with obvious risks. Are there any motor centres like in Dubai that do car health checks?

Any advice on how to make the 6500 work would be gratefully received. Or indeed if it isn't going to work. That would also be equally helpful.

Many thanks.

​​​

​​​​​
Old Sep 29th 2023, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh Job offer and expenses

Could you confirm if you mean 45k SAR per month or year?

riyadh is NOT a cheap place to live…!
Old Sep 30th 2023, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Could you confirm if you mean 45k SAR per month or year?

riyadh is NOT a cheap place to live…!
Oh no! I was really counting on being able to save most of my salary. And sorry, I should've been clearer.. 45k SAR per month.

So 6.5k per month is tricky then? I'm really good when it comes to not spending on frivolity.. but I don't want to live in the equivalent of Dubai's international city if you get what I mean...
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 1:46 pm

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StrangeEmu
Oh no! I was really counting on being able to save most of my salary. And sorry, I should've been clearer.. 45k SAR per month.

So 6.5k per month is tricky then? I'm really good when it comes to not spending on frivolity.. but I don't want to live in the equivalent of Dubai's international city if you get what I mean...
If you are on your own, then you can live off 45k sar a month. But you won’t get much ‘decent’ accommodation wise for 45k sar a year - not on a good compound anyway. Expect to pay a minimum of 90k sar a year for a ‘semi decent’ compound and upto 150k sar a year for the best - one bed prices i’m talking. Off compound, even 45k is a bit low i’d say, but maybe something Ok if you are happy to share.

You can get taxis around easily enough and probably only spend max 3k a month on transport. In my opinion, if you live frugally, you could save 10k sar a month quite easily, maybe a bit more, but no way you can live off a grand total of 6,500 sar a month.

Last edited by wilkobury; Oct 2nd 2023 at 1:49 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks so much for the insight. Clearly costs on the internet are completely out of touch with reality! I'll have to reassess the opportunity!
Old Oct 21st 2023, 6:07 am
Just Joined

killerabc is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it common for companies in Riyadh or Jeddah to offer complimentary accommodations for expatriates, especially for those with a monthly salary exceeding 40k SAR? Appreciate any insights.
Old Oct 21st 2023, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

janfreya1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable insights.
Old Oct 24th 2023, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my colleagues lived in an off compound flat in Riyadh for a few years. Close enough so he could walk to work. Irish fella, he had no complaints.

Careem and bolt are cheaper than Uber, and plenty of them around. A Saudi lady I know commutes by taxi daily to and from work in Riyadh, so seemingly doable for someone on less than 45k.

Earning almost £10k a month isn't bad at all tbh.
Old Oct 28th 2023, 7:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster here. I've gleaned a lot of information on the forums and I thank those contributing. It really helps the decision making process.

I've got this offer in Riyadh that I'm super tempted by. It pays 45k All inclusive so not too bad compared with what I'm on in the UK.

My key question is.. how feasible is it to live in Riyadh as a single person (no family) on SAR 6500? I need to rent a flat (found a halfway decent one bed off compound for 45k a year) pay for utilities including whatever it costs to get internet and a decent mobile phone contract, groceries and getting around. I'm really keen to put the rest of my sal back into paying off my mortgage as quick as I can.

I also want to be completely debt free in Saudi. I don't want a credit card or a car loan or anything else. I aim to live like a monk and given the dearth of entertaining beverages, this shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I'd also like to put a little bit of the 6500 aside toward an emergency exit fund if possible. Doesn't need to be huge. Maybe 200-300 would be ideal.

I don't want to spend a load of cash on a car as I see it as a total waste. My prospective flat is around 15km from my work. Are taxis cheap enough/regular enough to be a long term solution, bearing in mind I'm probably looking to spend tops 800-1000 on travel and I need to get into work everyday. I'm guessing public transport doesn't exist. I could potentially buy a banger and just scrap it when it breaks to buy another banger but given my nonexistent negotiation/mechanical skills, this is fraught with obvious risks. Are there any motor centres like in Dubai that do car health checks?

Any advice on how to make the 6500 work would be gratefully received. Or indeed if it isn't going to work. That would also be equally helpful.

Many thanks.

​​​

​​​​​
It's doable. I'd suggest staying in a serviced apartment for the first month or two until you get the lie of the land.
​​​​​
Proximity to work is key to your happiness. Use the time in the serviced apartment to go around the area where you work looking at cheap apartments, preferably with an Arabic speaker. Should be able to get something in the 3k a month range that is liveable.

Personally I would buy a cheap second car in your position. 10-20k one time payment. Insurance is cheap as is fuel. Just makes life so much easier.

Allow 500 a month for internet. Maybe 500 for gas.

That leaves you 2500 for food and entertainment. It's doable but bare bones existence.

Remember that you haven't factored in any flight costs, holidays, weekends away, clothing, miscellaneous stuff

10k a month is more realistic. Riyadh metro may be a game changer re commute so look at routes.
Old Nov 2nd 2023, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ilovegregggs is an unknown quantity at this point

I aim to live like a monk and given the dearth of entertaining beverages, this shouldn't be too much of a challenge..
​​​​​
this is debatable from what I hear from my sources in Riyadh.. 🫣
Old Nov 4th 2023, 10:30 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilovegregggs
this is debatable from what I hear from my sources in Riyadh.. 🫣
Plenty of booze in Riyadh. Parties every weekend, BBQs by the pool...