Reload this Page >

Riyadh - International School Admissions

Riyadh - International School Admissions

Old Oct 29th 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

denizci is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh - International School Admissions

Hi all,

I have a question around the international schools in Riyadh. We are an Australian family currently in Kuwait. My son, who is five is going to an English School here (year 1). I checked out the website of British International School Riyadh, it seems the priority in admissions are given to British (fair enough) and Dutch (!!!?????). Anyone else are bumped to the last group of priority and picked from a wait list. Good old Commonwealth citizens included ...

The weird thing around priority of Dutch citizens aside (please explain if you know why), is there any unwritten rule, which helps children from English speaking countries prioritized?

Also, how hard is it to get in to these schools? Are there any viable alternatives to BISR? I would like to get some insight before I move my family over.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riyadh - International School Admissions

Originally Posted by denizci
Hi all,

I have a question around the international schools in Riyadh. We are an Australian family currently in Kuwait. My son, who is five is going to an English School here (year 1). I checked out the website of British International School Riyadh, it seems the priority in admissions are given to British (fair enough) and Dutch (!!!?????). Anyone else are bumped to the last group of priority and picked from a wait list. Good old Commonwealth citizens included ...

The weird thing around priority of Dutch citizens aside (please explain if you know why), is there any unwritten rule, which helps children from English speaking countries prioritized?

Also, how hard is it to get in to these schools? Are there any viable alternatives to BISR? I would like to get some insight before I move my family over.

Thanks!
Best thing to do is to contact the British School directly and explain the situation, speak to the Registrar ( details on the website ) - let them know when you are expecting / wanting to enrol your son. I would imagine you should stand a pretty good chance. Hopefully, your company will pay the fees.

The British / Dutch thing harks back to to when the school was first created, by the Brits and Dutch communities.

Viable alternative is the Multi National School, not too far away physically, also follows the British system of GCSE's. Generally regarded as 'not as good' as BISR. Otherwise, the American School could be another possibility.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Nafeesa is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also check out British School of Kuwait or The English School (off the 30) in Salwa.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Best thing to do is to contact the British School directly and explain the situation, speak to the Registrar ( details on the website ) - let them know when you are expecting / wanting to enrol your son. I would imagine you should stand a pretty good chance. Hopefully, your company will pay the fees.

The British / Dutch thing harks back to to when the school was first created, by the Brits and Dutch communities.

Viable alternative is the Multi National School, not too far away physically, also follows the British system of GCSE's. Generally regarded as 'not as good' as BISR. Otherwise, the American School could be another possibility.

Good luck.

Thanks mate. we had issues getting into a good school over here when we first moved hence the reason, I am a little worried.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Nafeesa, my son is already enrolled at TES here in Kuwait, we are looking to move to Riyadh.

Originally Posted by Nafeesa
I would also check out British School of Kuwait or The English School (off the 30) in Salwa.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denizci
Thanks mate. we had issues getting into a good school over here when we first moved hence the reason, I am a little worried.
No worries - had a chat yesterday with someone who works at the school, they reckon you shouldn't have any problems getting a place.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
No worries - had a chat yesterday with someone who works at the school, they reckon you shouldn't have any problems getting a place.
Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 8:58 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Salwa school is a partner school to BISR based on Salwa compound. However, spaces are limited and also only available to those living/working on the compound with MOD and BAE.

As someone mentioned, historically the school was first opened for Brits and Dutch.

Being Australian you should stand a good chance. The registrar knows her stuff and will give you a clear picture of your situation.

The school has an 'International' population despite being called 'British' and there is a large proportion of children from middle eastern countries and Asian countries (Lebanon, Egypt) as well as Australian and South African.