Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Riyadh- Diplomatic Quarter or Compound?

Riyadh- Diplomatic Quarter or Compound?

Old Dec 18th 2023, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

GSBuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riyadh- Diplomatic Quarter or Compound?

Hi all

i am moving to Riyadh in jan and will be working in DQ.
I wanted to enquire about the merits and demerits of living in DQ itself (avoiding traffic and close to work va living in a compound ? I understand most of the best compounds are quite far from DQ itself.

can anyone recommend the best compounds and how far they are from DQ? Also are there any good compounds near DQ itself ?
Old Dec 20th 2023, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Perky74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Riyadh- Diplomatic Quarter or Compound?

Originally Posted by GSBuk
Hi all

i am moving to Riyadh in jan and will be working in DQ.
I wanted to enquire about the merits and demerits of living in DQ itself (avoiding traffic and close to work va living in a compound ? I understand most of the best compounds are quite far from DQ itself.

can anyone recommend the best compounds and how far they are from DQ? Also are there any good compounds near DQ itself ?
I'd also be keen to hear people's
thoughts on this. similar situation here.
Old Dec 20th 2023, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

All views welcome!

Originally Posted by Perky74
I'd also be keen to hear people's
thoughts on this. similar situation here.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Mearns is an unknown quantity at this point

if you work in the DQ and have a healthy budget for housing, its a no-brainer to live there. I've always had a soft spot for the DQ, like the serenity of the place and prefer it to compounds.
Not many compounds near the DQ so you would have to go further afield, but you would really have to have compelling reasons to justify the torturous commute and queuing to get in/out twice a day.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Hey this is great advice thanks.my hunch is DQ too however is there good quality apartments with good facilities? Would I meet people or would i be isolated?

rough costs per year in SAR for a 1 bed but high quality apartment in a good complex? Good shops, supermarkets etc nearby ?

Originally Posted by Mearns
if you work in the DQ and have a healthy budget for housing, it’s a no-brainer to live there. I've always had a soft spot for the DQ, like the serenity of the place and prefer it to compounds.
Not many compounds near the DQ so you would have to go further afield, but you would really have to have compelling reasons to justify the torturous commute and queuing to get in/out twice a day.

Last edited by GSBuk; Dec 21st 2023 at 10:34 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2023, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

harryO99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - we are in the same position - moving from the UK to Riyadh - cannot determine what is best siting here in the UK, i.e. a compound or an apartment. The cost/rental of compounds appears to be very high indeed.

Any thoughts, pls ?