Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Revaluation of currency ???

Revaluation of currency ???

Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all
Default Re: Revaluation of currency ???

Originally Posted by mercedes cls
I am a bit confused I have just checked Bahrain website and it states that the currency is pegged against the dollar not a currency basket.
http://www.cbb.gov.bh/cmsrule/index....article&ID=947
Kuwait depegged. The article makes it sound like they all did but it was only Kuwait.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 5:03 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Revaluation of currency ???

Kuwait has depegged to the extent that it has moved from a constant multiple of the dollar to a multiple of a basket of currencies. It did so in May.

The basket of currencies is not disclosed by the Central bank but I est that at least 30% of the currency weighting within the basket is USD. At least.

Most likely it is higher.

The reason for not completely abandoning the peg is that it screws up your customers and suppliers and a lot of the goods in the region were made by countries pegged or associated with the dollar and the revenues are from dollar based oil.

Whilst we individually may fuss about a few AED / KUW and go from Thomas Cook / Bank / Post office to get the best rate, this is not a preoccupation for the central banks who have a longet term strategy and hedging (Kuwait Investment Office is one of the largest Sterling denominated funds...)

So they don't think the same way we do.

Which is good because messing with the dollar can cause wars.!