Repaying Debt

Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:38 am
Just Joined

sowmya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Repaying Debt

I have unpaid debt in the UAE and I would like to sort this matter once in for all and put my past behind me.

Do I definitely need a lawyer or can I approach the banks myself?

I have debt across several cards, loans. My plan is to find those that have cases on them first and fix those issues before the ones that don't.

But I'll definitely need a lawyer to find out that information.

Are there any lawyers/ firms that you can recommend please?
Old Aug 27th 2015, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repaying Debt

you are still in Dubai or elsewhere?
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sowmya
I have unpaid debt in the UAE and I would like to sort this matter once in for all and put my past behind me.

Do I definitely need a lawyer or can I approach the banks myself?

I have debt across several cards, loans. My plan is to find those that have cases on them first and fix those issues before the ones that don't.

But I'll definitely need a lawyer to find out that information.

Are there any lawyers/ firms that you can recommend please?

Why would yo need a lawyer? Contact the banks yourself and find out what is owed. Assuming you aren't in the country they can't do anything to you and if you haven't already been traced the amounts can't be too big.

If you think there are police cases you can get that checked. You can get someone you know here to go to a main police station with a copy of your passport (and ideally an authority letter) and they can find out if any cases have been registered but not the details.

Bear in mind that the outstanding balances may be more than you expect due to added interest and penalty charges.

Good on you for wanting to repay what you borrowed.

(If the banks aren't being helpful come back to me as I can assist. I deal with these issues in my weekly column in The National newspaper and have connections at most major banks.)
Old Aug 27th 2015, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your responses.

I am outside the UAE.

From the demand emails that I received, the amount is 100% more than what was originally borrowed not including money already paid as regular installments (for 4 years) during my time there.

Most of these loans have been paid several times over. It was a mess. I was paying the minimum due for over 4 years for some cards.

Please could you let me know how much they usually agree for (50%, 75%) from experiences you've had or from others?

Will they consider 2 or 3 installments?

How do I get the money to them? account transfer?

Although, I have not been terribly honest myself, but will banks honor a reduced payment plan once they promise?

Do I pay one and move on to the other or pay 1 or 2 banks simultaneously?

If I send my spouse / friend to negotiate and close these payments, will they be held hostage? passports impounded? travel curbed?

Can someone help with these queries please? I cannot thank you enough.

Last edited by sowmya; Aug 27th 2015 at 3:22 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 11:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You can make an offer to a bank for a reduced sum if you are able to make the full payment in one go. If that's the case you have nothing to lose by offering a low figure to start with. Once agreed, provided the agreement is in writing and you also stick to the terms, the bank will no renege on it. A direct transfer is what they will require.

The police don't hold people hostage! There will be no repercussion if someone is simply asking if there are any cases outstanding.

The banks will not generally negotiate with a third party due to data protection issues. You will need to deal with them directly and there should be no issue if you are not in the UAE.

I'd suggest paying one off in full at a time as that will give you better negotiating power with each creditor as you can then repay each debt in full.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
You can make an offer to a bank for a reduced sum if you are able to make the full payment in one go. If that's the case you have nothing to lose by offering a low figure to start with. Once agreed, provided the agreement is in writing and you also stick to the terms, the bank will no renege on it. A direct transfer is what they will require.

The police don't hold people hostage! There will be no repercussion if someone is simply asking if there are any cases outstanding.

The banks will not generally negotiate with a third party due to data protection issues. You will need to deal with them directly and there should be no issue if you are not in the UAE.

I'd suggest paying one off in full at a time as that will give you better negotiating power with each creditor as you can then repay each debt in full.

Thanks a lot for your responses, If I may explain my situation in detail, you may be able to understand my position better.

I was not able to return to the UAE and these loans became outstanding because my ex confiscated my passport and threatened not to give it, until I left my child with her parents along with his (my son's) passport. In my absence, the loans became unpaid and delinquent.

After making me default, and ensuring that my return to UAE as being impossible, she took my son to the UAE where she now resides.

I have not met my child for nearly 4 years as I have not been able to return to UAE.

I have not been able to serve her summons for child custody as her whereabouts are unknown.

I am now starting over with my new life and hence want these debts paid off and be able to meet my child. My present wife understands all of this and wants to help me. I believe the banks may consider payment by installments and other payment arrangements if she explains the circumstances under which my credit cards and loans became past due.

Last edited by sowmya; Aug 28th 2015 at 1:06 pm.