Reload this Page >

Convert UK licence to Dubai, with only paper licence

Convert UK licence to Dubai, with only paper licence

Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

sradha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convert UK licence to Dubai, with only paper licence

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of relocating to Dubai from Singapore. Since I moved out of the UK to Singapore several years back, my drivers licence photo ID is expired and it seems you cannot renew if you arent resident in the UK.

The challenge I face is - I believe a Singapore drivers licence cannot be converted to a Dubai one. Additionally (and I'm not sure about this) it appears that the UAE expects your licence and passport to be from the same country to allow you to convert the licence.

My question therefore is - can I use my old UK paper licence only (which is still valid) without the the photo id counterpart to get a Dubai licence? If anyone has had any experience of this, please do let me know.

Thanks
Sanjay
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convert UK licence to Dubai, with only paper licence

I don't think they will accept just the paper version, since the paper version without the ID card is not valid - or at least the last time I checked it wasn't.

Sounds like you could be in a bit of a bind. Is there no way you can renew your UK DL and get yourself the ID card?

I hold both a UK and UAE DL - which apparently you are not allowed to do - but sack that, whose gonna know and whose gonna care....I used my parent's home address when I renewed my UK DL a couple of years ago and no questions were asked about me being a resident in the UK at the time.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:58 am
Just Joined

sradha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mission
I don't think they will accept just the paper version, since the paper version without the ID card is not valid - or at least the last time I checked it wasn't.

Sounds like you could be in a bit of a bind. Is there no way you can renew your UK DL and get yourself the ID card?

I hold both a UK and UAE DL - which apparently you are not allowed to do - but sack that, whose gonna know and whose gonna care....I used my parent's home address when I renewed my UK DL a couple of years ago and no questions were asked about me being a resident in the UK at the time.
Thanks Mission.... it does look like this is what I'll have to do now unfortunately. Will try & get a new photo ID now from the UK
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sradha
Thanks Mission.... it does look like this is what I'll have to do now unfortunately. Will try & get a new photo ID now from the UK
yeah it shouldn't take too long - If I remember correctly I downloaded the application form from DVLA's website, filled it in, sent whatever documentation they required and couriered it to my pops back in the UK, who then posted it to DVLA, and within 2 weeks my new DL arrived at my parents home address.

good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2015, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Licence can be converted but only if you have a Singapore passport. You can hold both British and Dubai licences but it would be an offence to drive in the UK on your UK licence if you are not resident there.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Singapore Licence can be converted but only if you have a Singapore passport. You can hold both British and Dubai licences but it would be an offence to drive in the UK on your UK licence if you are not resident there.
ah thanks for that - every time i have gone to the UK and hired a car i have always volunteered both DL's and in each case they have always taken my UK one. When i go next time i go, i'll just give my UAE one.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

3 years ago when I converted my licence, I used my battered and tattered paper UK driving licence. No problem at all and no questions asked. If things have changed since then I don't know.