Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Renting in Dubai, commuting to Abu Dhabi

Renting in Dubai, commuting to Abu Dhabi

Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Bennett1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting in Dubai, commuting to Abu Dhabi

Are rents in AD not coming down with the number of people leaving? Or is that only really happening in Dubai? We are due to come out in May and I was hoping (praying) the rental situation may have eased.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

As far as I am aware that have not been any major job cuts in AD as yet - they have all been in Dubai. If anything, the Dubai job cuts have led to a dearth of added pressure to to the AD housing scene as ex-pats are looking to AD to prolong their stay in the UAE. The main problem is the lack of quality supply in AD as the new developments will not be ready for other 12-18 months. I have not seen rents fall in AD and do not expect to until the new developments come live imho....
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Agree MM. What the fecks the point..

Its grim thou in AD when weescot is getting excited because they have found a 3bed for less than 300K (I'm guessing 295K)
I am not excited and it was not 295. It was 260 and they have a large, mature garden.

the point is the rental market may still be bad, but at least it is not as crazy as it was last year, there are places available and you can negotiate rents down. that is a definate change in the right direction - which those relocating might be interested in.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxes
As far as I am aware that have not been any major job cuts in AD as yet - they have all been in Dubai. If anything, the Dubai job cuts have led to a dearth of added pressure to to the AD housing scene as ex-pats are looking to AD to prolong their stay in the UAE. The main problem is the lack of quality supply in AD as the new developments will not be ready for other 12-18 months. I have not seen rents fall in AD and do not expect to until the new developments come live imho....
there has been cuts in alor and other construction related companies and i fear next week there is going to be another wave and this time a very big local company but we will see if it gets into the public domain.

dxb is so totally different to ad, ad is owned by locals dxb is owned by foreigners and so expectations of rents are different. dxb has so many empty buildings and still loads being built (always had compared to ad) so you have more housing stock to begin with. dxb houses are much better than some of the ad ones. yes people have lost their jobs in dxb and are looking to ad but what is happening now is people are commuting more from dxb to ad.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:38 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

260 for a 3 bed with a garden. Bargain, cheap as chips...

Jeez, can people cast their minds back just 2 years ago and compare
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yeh 120 was the going rate
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

No way was a 3 bed with garden 120 2 years ago!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:08 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
260 for a 3 bed with a garden. Bargain, cheap as chips...

Jeez, can people cast their minds back just 2 years ago and compare
convert it into sterling and you will crap yourself
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
No way was a 3 bed with garden 120 2 years ago!
yes they were... in the past villas were 120 and compounds were a little more perhaps 140 and that was it
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Eric - for what it is worth, most people I have talked to that have reloated in the last 6 months are getting allowances to cover current market rates in AD - private and government. some have had to push this more than others. Yes, rents have gone up at a shocking pace, but it is becoming a vicious circle and employers have had to pay to cover if they want "bums on the ground". You can PM me if you want any other insights and recent experiences I have heard about. good luck.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Yes you are correct about ALOR, slipped my mind ! Would be interesting to see if there are other companies in AD that have 'confirmed' laid off staff. That would be a good indicator of potential changes to housing crisis imo....
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Foxes
Yes you are correct about ALOR, slipped my mind ! Would be interesting to see if there are other companies in AD that have 'confirmed' laid off staff. That would be a good indicator of potential changes to housing crisis imo....
watch out for next week.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weescot
Paul Eric - for what it is worth, most people I have talked to that have reloated in the last 6 months are getting allowances to cover current market rates in AD - private and government. some have had to push this more than others. Yes, rents have gone up at a shocking pace, but it is becoming a vicious circle and employers have had to pay to cover if they want "bums on the ground". You can PM me if you want any other insights and recent experiences I have heard about. good luck.
a lot of the construction/contracting companies are now cutting housing allowances. or they are making people move to dxb for eg. this is because their clients are not paying their bills and so they have staff but not necessarily the money coming in etc.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
watch out for next week.
What does your crystal ball say BB? One thing for sure is that the ALOR figures are dramatically more than published!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well my crystal ball is telling me that perhaps its going to be the a next week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.