Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Renting in Abu Dhabi - what to look out for

Renting in Abu Dhabi - what to look out for

Old Feb 20th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

scotia 7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Abu Dhabi - what to look out for

So I'm now almost ready to start contacting agencies for potential accommodation in Abu Dhabi

Are there any things which I should look out for? Ive heard that some agencies take advantage of new arrivals by adding extra charges etc.

Can anyone also refer some good agencies? I've looked at dubizzle to start with
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:14 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Abu Dhabi - what to look out for

Avoid any that want to charge you for their services just for looking.

Although I'd recommend the larger, established agencies, Abdul whose office is his car and his mobile phone may have access to some properties which the big agencies don't. But just be extra cautious.

Some established agencies refuse to tell you which property/ies they intend to show you, and drag you round town potentially seeing those you've already seen before, on the basis that if they tell you in advance of their physically introducing you to a property you might try to make contact with the landlord directly. I ended up refusing to deal with one well-established agent (which employs Brits) for that very reason.

Don't believe anything they say: just remember, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups, so verify everthing yourself or get it in writing.

There are agents of certain nationalities (one, in particular) which I avoid. Some call that racism, I call it experience.

Be extremely aware of the fact that you'll be viewing properties when its cool and the a/c's of both that property and those surrounding / adjoining it may not be switched on. I spent a year of Hell in a villa which I viewed during a busy time of the day and accordingly didn't realise how old and noisy the a/c's (mainly those of my neigbours) were--I spent many a sleepless night listening to the cacophony.

When you do chose somewhere, double check that everything the agent has told you is reflected in the tenancy agreement.

Ensure that you get all the required paperwork.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

by law they are not allowed to charge 100dhs viewing fee.... silver lake and others try it on.... say thats its illegal and if they insist then say you will contact the rent committee etc... they will usually ask but back down... if not walk away! remember dubizzle is usually "fiction" and never tell them your upper limit as they will always "show" you 10k over your upper limit... and say "oh sorry thats just gone, but i have nicer place etc etv". if they take you to places that you dont want to be then tell them straight and walk away... they can waste lots of time!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

also stay away from places that "include" utitlies they are illegal and you will not get a tawtheeq... make sure that its legal and ASK for the tawtheeq!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

What's tawtheeq?

I've seen a few places that include water bills etc, so this is illegal?

Are you saying that there should be no viewing fees?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:51 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotia 7

Definitely.

I had one mad old bat of a woman haranguing me for several months after she'd taken me to several shitholes that didn't meet the spec I'd given her, demanding that I pay her for her time. Eventually she gave up.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ok if I get any hassle which government department can I complain to or say that I will complain to?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:48 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
There are agents of certain nationalities (one, in particular) which I avoid. Some call that racism, I call it experience.

Come on, give us a hint.

Overdressed, greasy hair, pointy shoes, forked tongue...?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's tawtheeq?

I've seen a few places that include water bills etc, so this is illegal?

yes illegal to ask for viewing fees.

tawtheeq is a new piece of important paper that you need, this shows that the "unit" is fit for purpose, in the past big villas have been built and then they couldnt rent them out, so they split them and so if 8 beds then they can split 8 ways etc... only 1 electric supply attached to the said big villa, so to get around this oh yes we will include utilties, now in order to get a visa you must produce utility bills and tawtheeq, the tawtheeq is approval from the municipality that the building is fit for purpose, ie rented to 1 family, not split, etc etc.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

also there are expat rates and local rates for utlities, and so some people leave them in landlords name, as it costs a lot lot lot less, but now thats illegal and you have to prove that you are paying your own bills... also if you have any issues with utilties in the middle of the summer when the ac goes off, and you cannot contact the landlord because he is on his hols somewhere cooler than 50 degrees here... who you going to call. addc will not deal with the tenant unless they are the bill payer.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok if I get any hassle which government department can I complain to or say that I will complain to?
hahahaha complain hahahahahahaha welcome to the ways of the muddle east... just take my advice dont tell them your top limit, dont let them mess you about... dont pay any money, they will charge you 5% of the rent... yes thats correct, not how the rest of the world does it but what goes on here.... if its not what you want dont think you need to carry on looking, tell them and walk away.. you will find that they all play games, dont answer the phone, etc etc... there are now many agents in auh just move onto the next one!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

by the way all information given gratefully received by payment of uk chocolate lol (especially creme eggs). hahaha.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be subletting my 4 bed on-island villa (off 29th street) from 1 April (contract til 17 Oct).

Dh 70k. Can't guarantee the landlord wont increase the rent to market rate then i.e. more than 5%. He's OK with a sub-let though.

flares
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Was it on here that someone worked out what the 5% fee meant in real terms to the agent?

It's a shit job and i'm not surprised that they try and charge viewing fees as actually securing the 5% (that everyone tries to avoid paying) is bloody difficult. What are they meant to live on, air? The whole industry could do with being regulated. Oh god, am I still drunk. I'm certainly talking nonsense.