Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cockroaches? Are they really prevalent?

Cockroaches? Are they really prevalent?

Old Feb 16th 2014, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

CanuckGrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cockroaches? Are they really prevalent?

I did a search before posting but did not find what I was looking for.

I've read that there are cockroaches in Doha. I have never seen a cockroach in my life (TV only - and that squicks me out) and the thought of them being in my home is utterly digusting.

Are they quite prevalent in Doha and should I steel myself now for the fact that I'll likely be sharing my living space with the little buggers? :shudder:
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:05 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cockroaches? Are they really prevalent?

Originally Posted by CanuckGrl
I did a search before posting but did not find what I was looking for.

I've read that there are cockroaches in Doha. I have never seen a cockroach in my life (TV only - and that squicks me out) and the thought of them being in my home is utterly digusting.

Are they quite prevalent in Doha and should I steel myself now for the fact that I'll likely be sharing my living space with the little buggers? :shudder:
Yes, they are everywhere, with older properties worse than new ones. You can get your apartment/ villa sprayed with insecticide (poison) which works very well, costs about QAR500. They like the heat, so not too many around just now, but they'll be out again soon.

Careful food handling, cleanliness around the kitchen helps too. Make sure all your drains are trapped, sinks especially, otherwise leave the plugs in.

Thing is, you can do all these things, but your neighbours might not be so fussy, and you end up with a recurring problem. Hygiene generally is very, very poor in Doha, to the extent that I prepare most of my food myself and avoid eating out if at all possible (decent hotels excepted, then it's hot food only).

My experience anyway.

[J]
Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Ugh. Yuck. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:00 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't vouch for Doha but I have been pleasantly surprised by how few I see in Riyadh, one of its plus points. When I lived in Bangkok I used to regularly spray before I went to bed ( once a month should do the trick ) and then sweep them up in the morning. An average spray could yield 40-50 ! Why pay when you can do it yourself ?
Interestingly enough the survival instinct of these things is amazing. When we were flooded, on returning to our house after a week to get more clothes, we found 30 or 40 clinging to these foam boxes floating in the water, hanging on for dear life. Lack of food got them in the end though and the whole population was wiped out for months.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

It's the scorpions you should worry about.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

We just had our house sprayed and found out that cockroaches actually eat/live on dust.

Also, the big ones are American cockroaches (generally come from outside in the drains) and the little ones are German cockroaches that are more prevalent indoors (where there's more dust).
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:19 am
Just Joined

This thread is making me itch.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Can't vouch for Doha but I have been pleasantly surprised by how few I see in Riyadh, one of its plus points. When I lived in Bangkok I used to regularly spray before I went to bed ( once a month should do the trick ) and then sweep them up in the morning. An average spray could yield 40-50 ! Why pay when you can do it yourself ?
Interestingly enough the survival instinct of these things is amazing. When we were flooded, on returning to our house after a week to get more clothes, we found 30 or 40 clinging to these foam boxes floating in the water, hanging on for dear life. Lack of food got them in the end though and the whole population was wiped out for months.
That is truly vile.

Originally Posted by mentalist
It's the scorpions you should worry about.
Well, gee, that's reassuring.

I guess there is something to be said for these bitterly cold Canadian prairie winters.

Last edited by CanuckGrl; Feb 17th 2014 at 5:34 am.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 5:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanuckGrl
I guess there is something to be said for these bitterly cold Canadian prarie winters.
Frostbite and hypothermia.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the Middle East for 14 ears now. Never had a cockroach in my house.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
I lived in the Middle East for 14 ears now. Never had a cockroach in my house.
That you know of!!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 2:59 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

haven't really seen many cockroaches except for a few years ago when i was viewing villas in bahrain. all had been empty for months in the heat of summer and were full of the big american ones..very pleasant..

we brought a sofa from bahrain to dubai and that seemed to get infested with the small fookers on the way across the gulf. in the end we just flogged it on dubizzle (without mentioning the stowaways)
Old Feb 17th 2014, 4:31 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cleanliness is king--don't leave anything around that would attract them: food scraps, spilt drinks (even cups marks), bodily fluids...
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Live up high - avoid ground and first floor apartments- they can't reach the buttons in the lifts!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and when you go out don't leave your handbag on the floor!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:41 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

In Dubai certainly. They aren't just limited to one industry either, banking, recruitment, construction, they are everywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.