Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase at the end of the first year

Rent increase at the end of the first year

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent increase at the end of the first year

Autonomy - I think you've got your head around it now.
I would find it almost laughable if I wasn't living here myself.

In summary:
  • You are a foreigner
  • You have no rights
  • Try not to draw much attention to yourself
  • Take it or leave it
  • Watch out for the white LandRovers
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:47 am
W10

What's written as law isn't always the law.

That's a quote from a UAE lawyer.

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

The b***tards are doing the obvious We pay 72k for a 2bed. New neighbours just moved in at 80k. But atleast the flat is very spacious, with the usual facilities...... just that it's located in the armpit of dubai (behind Burjuman).

But what is worse is that a 2b in the building next to ours, abt 70% the size of ours is going at 92k . Just heard that 2b flats in Karama are going at 65-80k , so the future doesn't look good at all

I did hear about 3 years back that rents were going to go up very very steeply, to force people to buy property in Dubai. I didn't believe it then but unfortunately turned out to be true.

IG
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

They want you to buy a home so you won't leave once they start taxing you.
I'm surely not the only person to smell this one coming.

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
The b***tards are doing the obvious We pay 72k for a 2bed. New neighbours just moved in at 80k. But atleast the flat is very spacious, with the usual facilities...... just that it's located in the armpit of dubai (behind Burjuman).

But what is worse is that a 2b in the building next to ours, abt 70% the size of ours is going at 92k . Just heard that 2b flats in Karama are going at 65-80k , so the future doesn't look good at all

I did hear about 3 years back that rents were going to go up very very steeply, to force people to buy property in Dubai. I didn't believe it then but unfortunately turned out to be true.

IG
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe

Tis exactly what my husband said. You will be squeezed to your last fil

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 22nd 2006 at 4:08 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 3:39 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

No truer word was spoken, but as W10 says, apartment prices are dropping outside of Dubai proper.

Don't dispair Jeeper, i'm sure that you have a tent to sleep in...or you can always drape it over your roof!! bit like sleeping in a sand pit I shouldn't wonder!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 4:25 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Autonomy - I think you've got your head around it now.
I would find it almost laughable if I wasn't living here myself.

In summary:
  • You are a foreigner
  • You have no rights
  • Try not to draw much attention to yourself
  • Take it or leave it
  • Watch out for the white LandRovers
haha... nail / head interface...
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 4:39 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

My GOD! Do you know how PARANOID you sound?

I mean - as if "they" (who ever "they" are) would colude to "con" people to stay by increasing the rents, forcing home purchases on the basis of a "good" investment as well as a tidy profit and capped monthly payments.

It's people like you, Indiegirl, Truth Speak and that bloody TA5 that give honest expats a bad name. (that Shiva's a bit of a doubt too and I see the Jammy character has left the region, probably safest for all us HONEST TYPES... anyway I digress)

Next you'll be telling me that "freedom of the press" and "due dilligence" and (god forfend) "tried by a court of your peers" are YOUR RIGHT?

You make me sick. I suppose you'd rather live in a glorious commune, peace and love right?

We are PROTECTED by the police (state) for our own BENEFIT, the laws are not to be questioned or indeed studied or in fact actually be published and in the words of Frank Zappa "what ever you do, don't eat the yellow snow".

Bunch of pinko leftist commies. (except TA5 - I think he bats for another team).

Yours,

Disgruntiled Of Oud Metha.

PS I think Face is one of "them" really - don't trust him... and come to think of it W10... I am wary of him...

*puts on tin foil hat*

Last edited by Autonomy; Jan 22nd 2006 at 4:41 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:50 am
W10

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I think Face is one of "them" really - don't trust him... and come to think of it W10... I am wary of him...

*puts on tin foil hat*
Are we talking about a filthy pinko, subversive, anti-state agitator...or potential...erm...left hooker.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:44 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

the greedy landlords have found away around the rules and have decided to issue NEW rental contracts to new or old tenants in order to be able to cash in on the 15% rent increase every year!!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

My GOD! Do you know how PARANOID you sound?

I mean - as if "they" (who ever "they" are) would colude to "con" people to stay by increasing the rents, forcing home purchases on the basis of a "good" investment as well as a tidy profit and capped monthly payments.

It's people like you, Indiegirl, Truth Speak and that bloody TA5 that give honest expats a bad name. (that Shiva's a bit of a doubt too and I see the Jammy character has left the region, probably safest for all us HONEST TYPES... anyway I digress)

Next you'll be telling me that "freedom of the press" and "due dilligence" and (god forfend) "tried by a court of your peers" are YOUR RIGHT?

You make me sick. I suppose you'd rather live in a glorious commune, peace and love right?

We are PROTECTED by the police (state) for our own BENEFIT, the laws are not to be questioned or indeed studied or in fact actually be published and in the words of Frank Zappa "what ever you do, don't eat the yellow snow".

Bunch of pinko leftist commies. (except TA5 - I think he bats for another team).

Yours,

Disgruntiled Of Oud Metha.

PS I think Face is one of "them" really - don't trust him... and come to think of it W10... I am wary of him...

*puts on tin foil hat*
Do you mean I swing both ways?????

Last edited by shoushou; Jan 23rd 2006 at 7:23 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:12 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

*puts on tin foil hat*
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............ what exactly did I miss???? One of "them"???? What are you going on about?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:09 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Lol,

At last I have been found out. I must be a dishonest expat !!!!!

Thank goodness you told me,

Perhaps not.... maybe slightly cynical..... maybe .....

& you aut, which way do you swing??

TS
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:42 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Our tenancy is up in the middle of April... remains to be seen what's going to happen with the rent, although I think we can all guess. However, my company is negotiating to obtain apartments at JBR (that staff can rent or buy) and villas at KV (rental only) that will be available at discounted rates; the attractive part is that the rent will be fixed for four years.

It'd be nice to buy at a discounted rate at JBR, but sadly we don't have the necessary 20% deposit - which equates to AED 200,000 for even the smallest 1-bed apartments...

The bummer is that the villas won't be available until December (which I guess means March/April 2007).
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:08 pm