Reclaiming VAT

Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaiming VAT

Argos is still in business last I saw. kittycat1 - maybe thinking of Woolies?

The processing fee on these schemes is a bit of a rip off - the only one I know of that publish their fee is the Global tax refund scheme. I think it is 3% regardless of which country you are in - it is in the small print on the forms.

The only retailer I found that simply uses the Customs and Excise form (ie no fee) was a very nice independent jewellery store in Edinburgh called Lime Blue.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:57 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
The only retailer I found that simply uses the Customs and Excise form (ie no fee) was a very nice independent jewellery store in Edinburgh called Lime Blue.
There are a couple of retailers on Tottenham Court Road in London who also do it themselves, I've found. Good for gadgets.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
There are a couple of retailers on Tottenham Court Road in London who also do it themselves, I've found. Good for gadgets.
Thats funny - you buy gadgets and I buy earings.....
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:07 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Thats funny - you buy gadgets and I buy earings.....

I was actually buying matching laptops for me and the wife... mine black, hers pink

(luckily more than a full tax year ago )
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by typical

I was actually buying matching laptops for me and the wife... mine black, hers pink

(luckily more than a full tax year ago )
Even funnier.

Yep everyone - claim your VAT back no matter what you spend it on. Especially as VAT is now 20%
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kittycat1
why on earth where you in Argos? I actually thought they'd closed down.
Bought a cheap pink netbook for my sister in law...they seem to be going okay as a business
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:11 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Can I check; is it possible to do this at any UK airport, or just Heathrow? We are flying from Manchester end of August.

If not, is it possible to do it any other way. We have bought a laptop, and have a VAT receipt from Currys.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:21 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Can I check; is it possible to do this at any UK airport, or just Heathrow? We are flying from Manchester end of August.

If not, is it possible to do it any other way. We have bought a laptop, and have a VAT receipt from Currys.
Possible at any exit point from the UK (though easier where there's a customs officer on duty!)

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/m.../ReclaimingVAT
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No, I was lying. Of course, same as I said last time. The people you spoke to don't know what they are talking about. Provided you are UK non-resident for tax purposes and then remain so for a full tax year you can make a claim. You do not have to have been out of the UK for a year.
-
Do you have to prove that you are non resident? If so, how do you do that - or is it a simple deceleration on the form?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:41 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Do you have to prove that you are non resident? If so, how do you do that - or is it a simple deceleration on the form?
I was usually asked to show my UAE residency visa.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew

Thanks
In Manchester, just after the security checks you go down a wide ramp towards the DF shops. On the left there is a tiny unmanned desk on the wall and a red phone. Pick it up and you get through to the on duty C & E officer - he'll talk you though what to do. But you need a VAT refund form from Curry's.