Reclaiming VAT

Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reclaiming VAT

Morning people

Does anybody know if being a non UK resident I can reclaim VAT on items bought in the UK. Going on holiday there and will probably purchase a couple of high value items.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclaiming VAT

yes but its made very difficult. u have to shop at a shop thats in the scheme, and then you have to show at the airport etc before you check it in etc to process the forms etc.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have been out of the Uk for 12 months as well ( may even be a full financial year), get the specific receipt at the time if purchase (which takes ages especially if you have halfwit sales assistants) and then take your shopping to the airport with all the receipts- you have to show every item you have purchased. At Heathrow it is after passport control so you'll need to carry all your shopping as hand luggage. Some shops at the time of completing the forms(like Selfridges) will require your passport number and your address etc so make sure you have all your info with you.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes but its made very difficult. u have to shop at a shop thats in the scheme, and then you have to show at the airport etc before you check it in etc to process the forms etc.
Looks like I will be ringing around later in the evening to find out if they are in the scheme.

Thanks for the info people
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I was home in May and discovered a new shopping quesion "Do you issue VAT refund forms?". I was astonished at how many do - PC world, most jewlery stores, Cath Kidson, shoe shops -all in small towns (Ayrshire)and cities(Glasgow and Edinburgh).

Some shops subscribe to VAT refund "schemes" which are just agencies that do the paperwork and charge a small % of the refund. Some apply direct to Customs and Excise. Retailers filled in their section of the refund form then I filled in mine. On departure at the airport, you need to carry your purchased goods in your hand luggage. After check in and security, just go to the customs and excise desk where they inspect, approve and then stamp your forms. You also have to prove you are a UK non-resident. Once forms are stamped, you seal them in the envelopes the retailer provide you with, then put in the mail box in departures. Refunds are credited to your bank/CC. The only refund I didn't get was for the first thing I purchased - using a UK credit card, so use your UAE credit cards.

It is a bit of hassle but worth doing for higher cost purchases as you do save a lot of money.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

It's dead easy to do, I've done it often - for computers from Debenhams, for suits and smalls from M&S and John Lewis, for games from PC World...

You need to leave a bit of time at the airport, and the amount you get back varies by scheme (and isn't easy to find out).

For some items like electronics, you need to get the stamp AFTER immigration (i.e. they need to be in your hand luggage). Everything else you do BEFORE immigration.

You need to be prepared to show every item, but in my experience they don't usually ask to see each one.

Finally, my understanding of the law is that you can use the scheme as a UK citizen at any time, as long as you are non-resident. It'd be better to ask an expert on this however.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

The previous poster suggested that it would be better to use UAE credit cards. I tend to have a problem with my UAE cards in the UK.

When you bought your items did you use a UK debit/ credt card or UAE credit card
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:58 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I had no trouble buying stuff on, and getting a refund on, my UK credit card, but if they use a service at the airport, you can ask for your refund in cash too (for an additional fee).
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Opponent
The previous poster suggested that it would be better to use UAE credit cards. I tend to have a problem with my UAE cards in the UK.

When you bought your items did you use a UK debit/ credt card or UAE credit card
I used both a UK CC and a UAE CC. I have never had any issues using either but not had my VAT refund credited to my UK CC. When I followed up with the retailer, they indicated that a UK credit card indicated UK residency... I am not sure what happened really.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weescot
I was home in May and discovered a new shopping quesion "Do you issue VAT refund forms?". I was astonished at how many do - PC world, most jewlery stores, Cath Kidson, shoe shops -all in small towns (Ayrshire)and cities(Glasgow and Edinburgh).

Some shops subscribe to VAT refund "schemes" which are just agencies that do the paperwork and charge a small % of the refund. Some apply direct to Customs and Excise. Retailers filled in their section of the refund form then I filled in mine. On departure at the airport, you need to carry your purchased goods in your hand luggage. After check in and security, just go to the customs and excise desk where they inspect, approve and then stamp your forms. You also have to prove you are a UK non-resident. Once forms are stamped, you seal them in the envelopes the retailer provide you with, then put in the mail box in departures. Refunds are credited to your bank/CC. The only refund I didn't get was for the first thing I purchased - using a UK credit card, so use your UAE credit cards.

It is a bit of hassle but worth doing for higher cost purchases as you do save a lot of money.
I asked about this in Argos (of all places) when I was last back. The agency they use take 7.5% leaving you with 10%.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

why on earth where you in Argos? I actually thought they'd closed down.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:33 am
Not an evil hypnotist

It's infuriating that the schemes don't publish their fees.

I've found retailers who participate in the scheme but don't use the big boys usually give better deals.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We've covered this before and you do NOT have to be out of the UK for 12 months before you can reclaim VAT.

Info here (see last Q&A):

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...ate=columnists

-
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

really meow- as I had filled in all the forms and when I went to claim it all back they said I couldn't as had to have been out for 12 months?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
really meow- as I had filled in all the forms and when I went to claim it all back they said I couldn't as had to have been out for 12 months?
No, I was lying. Of course, same as I said last time. The people you spoke to don't know what they are talking about. Provided you are UK non-resident for tax purposes and then remain so for a full tax year you can make a claim. You do not have to have been out of the UK for a year.
-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.