Reload this Page >

Help - dont get technology!

Help - dont get technology!

Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - dont get technology!

Hi,

I have seen the words "slingbox" and "slingcatcher" written a few times on this forum. Please could someone tell me what they are and if it is worth me getting these things for my upcoming move to Al Ain.

I've had a quick look on ebay and it seems like to be able to use the scary pieces of tech, I need to keep my SKY subscription in the UK. Is this right?

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - dont get technology!

A slingbox will allow you to view all your Sky channels in Al Ain on your PC.

Have a look at this link, it gives simple instructions of what you need to do.
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/slingbox.html

The Slingcatcher basically is a partner for your Slingbox. What it does is 'catch' any video you've sent from a Slingbox and play it on a TV. However I believe that the Slingcatcher has been discontinued. You might be able to get it of ebay
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

both a waste of time in my view. The time difference will annoy you.

better to vpn and iplayer / download.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Opponent is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I second that. It is what i currently do anyway. Sorry should have said that in my first post
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help - what is vpn? The only meaning I know for vpn has nothing to do with technology and more to do with underwear!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:03 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thought that was vpl not vpn
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hnd
Thought that was vpl not vpn
My God, you are right - I am clearly not getting enough sleep!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Whilst I also do what EM says I don't think the Slingbox solution is a waste of time and I used mine extensively until the last few months when my UK broadband (upstream speed) deteriorated.
What you do need is a PVR and ideally a Sky+ Box (with subscription) connected to the Slingbox - this will enable you to watch all subscribed channels live but also record and watch those recorded shows whenever you want; you control the PVR/Sky+ box from your computer via the Slingbox.
UK Broadband standard upstream speed is 448kbps and you need all of that so if you have a good UK connection and at least 1MB in UAE (preferably 2MB+) you are good to go.
The SkyPlayer (online) service is very flakey and has continuing problems and I still haven't really figured out how you get it ie is it included in your subscription or do you have to pay extra for it?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that you say download rather than stream. So it's not just me that finds that the connection speeds are too slow to stream from iPlayer?

VPN = virtual private network. In simple terms it connects your computer to another computer (e.g. in the UK). This makes it look like your computer is in the UK, so you can access websites that are restricted only to UK computers (e.g. iPlayer).
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by csdf
I noticed that you say download rather than stream. So it's not just me that finds that the connection speeds are too slow to stream from iPlayer?

VPN = virtual private network. In simple terms it connects your computer to another computer (e.g. in the UK). This makes it look like your computer is in the UK, so you can access websites that are restricted only to UK computers (e.g. iPlayer).
How do you do that?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkMum
How do you do that?
I use one of many VPN suppliers: I think it's £5/month. They have software (which I haven't used) that automates the process. I think it's as easy as double-clicking an icon on your desktop.

Last edited by csdf; Jul 21st 2010 at 8:45 am. Reason: Who needs the Spanish Inquisition?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:39 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Waiting for the Spanish Inquisition on posting a vpn suppliers url in the thread.....
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf

Actually, No. I nearly always stream. In fact, our network normally streams to two PC (and runs the phones) most of the time. We have an 8Mb connection but it was able to do this on the 2Mb line. I only upgraded as the price fell.

I did have some issues at first - the problem is ping times not actual line speed. If you connect via PPTP / LT2 then you will get issues. Try connecting though OpenVPN.

well worth googling OpenVPN - it's not a vpn provider but is a connection protocol.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How do you do that?
you buy a vpn service, install the software, switch it on and use the internet as normal.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How do you do that?
google is your friend...no really, it is...and there's probably a hundred threads in various other parts of this forum in the other countries with plenty of ideas, but posting specific supplies in the ME section tends to get those supplies blocked, so people don't post them publicly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.