Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ramadan dos and dont's

Ramadan dos and dont's

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ramadan dos and dont's

Originally Posted by Kix
Take a look at this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCv6...layer_embedded

What Not to Do During Taraweeh by Yousef Erakat
Here’s an irreverent take on special night prayers that are held during Ramadan.
Note: The guys in the video are just having fun and say they do not mean to offend or insult their faith.
refreshing to see humour can still cross boundaries...not sure everyone will see it quite the same though !
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I am 2 years no smoking now darling
I'm nearly four years without sex...........
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dean has your penis actually fallen off?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 7:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Jumeira Beach Park on Friday, it was very quiet. Asked the guy at the ticket booth if it was ok to bring in our coolbox with drinks, and he said of course, no problem.
Everybody had coolboxes with them and people were smoking as well. Life guards were on duty and the beach police patrol car was driving around. No issues.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Went to Jumeira Beach Park on Friday, it was very quiet. Asked the guy at the ticket booth if it was ok to bring in our coolbox with drinks, and he said of course, no problem.
Everybody had coolboxes with them and people were smoking as well. Life guards were on duty and the beach police patrol car was driving around. No issues.
To be fair, I think anybody who is fasting and goes down to the beach during the day would have to be such a monumental idiot, the beach patrol would ignore them.

Besides, isn't JBP technically not public?
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
To be fair, I think anybody who is fasting and goes down to the beach during the day would have to be such a monumental idiot, the beach patrol would ignore them.

Besides, isn't JBP technically not public?
Why is it not public?, its, not a private beach, so ramadan things apply.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter
Why is it not public?, its, not a private beach, so ramadan things apply.
But surely it's a beach park to which paid entry is required so it's not public in my book.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:30 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
But surely it's a beach park to which paid entry is required so it's not public in my book.
This.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mentalist
It's not owned by a private company, anyway I don't care, I am in malaysia on holiday and none of this silliness applies

Last edited by winter; Jul 22nd 2012 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
This.
Interesting reply
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't light up a ciggie during Ramadan...
...at lunchtime...
...outside a mosque...
...in Jeddah....
...when everyone is coming out after prayers..

[Yes I was stupid enough to do that until my colleague whispered in my ear "What the f*** are you doing ?]

The other one would be "make sure you do not have to go out in the evening since its bedlam everywhere"
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

apparently 5000aed fine if caught smoking in public? anyone know if this is true?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by kittycat1
apparently 5000aed fine if caught smoking in public? anyone know if this is true?
****ing hope not.

Instead of letting each building just use their roof access. We've found the doors locked and we have to walk to another building and just....well....stand outside it in full sight and smoke in the designated (but not designated) 'area'.

Horse.Shit.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Interesting definitions of public. As far as I am concerned my car is private. The public cannot enter it when they feel like it, yet I am not allowed to smoke in there.

Anyway, the whole business of people being fined for eating/drinking/smoking in public is not really what the fasting in Ramadan is about. It is supposed to be a test of faith. What kind of test is it if you remove temptation?

I believe there is a line in the Qu'ran that says something like 'You have your religion and I'll have mine', so forcing people to comply is contrary to that.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Interesting definitions of public. As far as I am concerned my car is private. The public cannot enter it when they feel like it, yet I am not allowed to smoke in there.

Anyway, the whole business of people being fined for eating/drinking/smoking in public is not really what the fasting in Ramadan is about. It is supposed to be a test of faith. What kind of test is it if you remove temptation?

I believe there is a line in the Qu'ran that says something like 'You have your religion and I'll have mine', so forcing people to comply is contrary to that.
All to often, it seems to be 'I'll have my religion and you'll also have mine.'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.