Racist?

Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:36 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist?

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
That used to annoy the hell out of me when we lived in the UAE and it still happens to some extent in Bahrain although not as much. What do these women think we're going to do as we politely say hello/hold doors open while holding our children's hands? Attack them? Come on to them? The rudeness and arrogance of that situation is incredible. And don't come to me saying it's a "cultural" thing, if that is their culture then they should think about raising their game about 5 centuries......
I should clarify I was referring to mostly British/European mums at my son's school...people who should be in our century not the 16th like some of the locals.

I don't see what why having a husband on an expat package makes some women here feel they are aristocratic people with so much class they can't say thank you when you hold a door open for them or see them three times a week outside the classroom yet won't say hello or even nod...I thought it was because I was a bit too brown at first but some of the other parents who are a bit too white also get the same treatment - it's a clique thing and it's a pleasure to not be involved in it.

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I should clarify I was referring to mostly British/European mums at my son's school...people who should be in our century not the 16th like some of the locals.

I don't see what why having a husband on an expat package makes some women here feel they are aristocratic people with so much class they can't say thank you when you hold a door open for them or see them three times a week outside the classroom yet won't say hello or even nod...I thought it was because I was a bit too brown at first but some of the other parents who are a bit too white also get the same treatment - it's a clique thing and it's a pleasure to not be involved in it.

N.
I'd say some of it is due to locals and Asians putting Westerners on a pedestal. Though in the case with locals, it's relative to how they treat other nationalities.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything you write in your post below can easily be applied to London or New York or to Washington, DC, all places I've lived in, and between white people. Nothing new there.

When I lived in Dubai I noticed that some people were too eager to shout racism/classicism, especially towards western housewives. I imagine the reality is a lot more...complex.

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
...I imagine the reality is a lot more...complex.
**** reality, drink beer
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:46 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Everything you write in your post below can easily be applied to London or New York or to Washington, DC, all places I've lived in, and between white people. Nothing new there.

When I lived in Dubai I noticed that some people were too eager to shout racism/classicism, especially towards western housewives. I imagine the reality is a lot more...complex.
Oh for sure that's the case...often it's just as much miserable and cliquey people as it is racists or bigots. Trouble is I suppose it's kind of stereotypically expected to find racism in Westerners because they are the only group who talk about it, admit it's wrong and punish their own for racial discrimination...in reality there's plenty of racism everywhere - likely more so from non-whites these days...my perception anyway, not a fact or anything

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
**** reality, drink beer
Profound and so true...solves a lot of problems for me...causes lots of problems too

N.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Oh for sure that's the case...often it's just as much miserable and cliquey people as it is racists or bigots. Trouble is I suppose it's kind of stereotypically expected to find racism in Westerners because they are the only group who talk about it, admit it's wrong and punish their own for racial discrimination...in reality there's plenty of racism everywhere - likely more so from non-whites these days...my perception anyway, not a fact or anything

N.
So true Norm, if I sat down and said "I'm proud to be white." I'd be a racist, wouldn't I? But any other race can say the same about themselves and there own culture, without restriction, and that's OK? So I can't do something because of the color of my skin? An odd taboo in todays society that little have the balls to speak out on, and few have the time to care for.

It reminds me of comedian, Russell Peter: Racist World http://youtu.be/sshAhLPuV_I
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Not yet mate - I'm holding out for the last chopper out of Juffair....

(Carrying Mark's hub caps - 5 BD a piece by then...)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_ImnJrOA0
Ron, good to hear your not doing a Norsky just yet!!
Obviously am going to remember NOT to give you a lift out from Juffair once the shit hits the fan, due to your comment on my beautiful car