Racist?

Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:22 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist?

well, if discrimination is now judged on not being invited to every children's party in the class, then not only am I also guilty as charged (gosh, I didn't invite any of them - that must make me really bad!) but also Miss Kitty is being subjected to racism too!

Kids aren't born racist - they're brought up to be (or not, hopefully). It's just a fact of life that people tend to feel more comfortable with other like-minded people, and of course, more often than not, like-minded people also share the same cultural background, so if you've been brought up in a culture where there's no much diversity, then that will shape you.

Here in Dubai of course, since there's no real prospect of integration, there's also little common ground - many of us only have one thing in common: we happen to share the same physical location. That's not really enough to automatically bond with someone or become bosom buddies.

Would you invite everyone who works in your office to your birthday bash or just those who you get on most with? Exactly. It's like crying "racist" or "elitist" because you didn't extend your invitation to absolutely everyone, regardless of if you can even speak the same language.

I also think that if people stopped crying "racism" at every perceived sleight, then it would gradually die out - our cultures are more and more globally aware and accepting. Miss Kitty hasn't ever had to think about the concept of racism - for her, her classmates are all her friends (apart from the ones who hit her) and the difference of colour or background doesn't really register. Long may it continue!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Oct 9th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
well, if discrimination is now judged on not being invited to every children's party in the class, then not only am I also guilty as charged (gosh, I didn't invite any of them - that must make me really bad!) but also Miss Kitty is being subjected to racism too!

Kids aren't born racist - they're brought up to be (or not, hopefully). It's just a fact of life that people tend to feel more comfortable with other like-minded people, and of course, more often than not, like-minded people also share the same cultural background, so if you've been brought up in a culture where there's no much diversity, then that will shape you.

Here in Dubai of course, since there's no real prospect of integration, there's also little common ground - many of us only have one thing in common: we happen to share the same physical location. That's not really enough to automatically bond with someone or become bosom buddies.

Would you invite everyone who works in your office to your birthday bash or just those who you get on most with? Exactly. It's like crying "racist" or "elitist" because you didn't extend your invitation to absolutely everyone.
Well sure. Although, in our school it is common that the whole class gets invited (small classes). And if a kid or 2 were left out, they would probably feel pretty bad. Not saying this has ANYTHING to do with racism.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Having lived in both Dubai and Bahrain I'd say that you have just reminded me of the biggest difference: Bahrainis integrate freely with expats, Emiratis simply don't (unless there's some sponsorship money in it for them.) You can have a drink with a Bahraini and then get a ride home in a cab driven by a Bahraini - they're great people and a lot of them share our sense of humour. That's one thing I'll miss about this place, despite of all the troubles.

There you go - at long last, a positive story about Bahrain!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Having lived in both Dubai and Bahrain I'd say that you have just reminded me of the biggest difference: Bahrainis integrate freely with expats, Emiratis simply don't (unless there's some sponsorship money in it for them.) You can have a drink with a Bahraini and then get a ride home in a cab driven by a Bahraini - they're great people and a lot of them share our sense of humour. That's one thing I'll miss about this place, despite of all the troubles.

There you go - at long last, a positive story about Bahrain!
You sound like you're off RB
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
You sound like you're off RB
Not yet mate - I'm holding out for the last chopper out of Juffair....

(Carrying Mark's hub caps - 5 BD a piece by then...)

Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:31 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Ok in all honesty my kids didn't register colour or background with friends in their uk school. And there were all types of kids: black, mixed race, Chinese, Thai, polish, French Indian. My kids never said anything about nationalities. They picked their friends cos they liked them.

Here? well my daughter got in our replacement hire car the other day and said "yuk, smells like Arabic people." it stank of cigarette smoke. That didn't bloody come from us. My son has come out with some awful remarks too- when I've asked he's admitted to various friends saying them. It's so bloody obvious how racist this place is, people are so open about it. It's in the damn fabric of the country. It's seeping into my kids and I can't stand it.

Anyway, probably not racism that the kid wasn't invited to the party. Although some school run mums can be punishing in their attitude to other parents and their offspring...
Old Oct 11th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

you guys (as in you married folks with kids) obviously dont care about your kids education system....this place (dubai/uae) has the worse education system one would ever want their kids to be in.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
you guys (as in you married folks with kids) obviously dont care about your kids education system....this place (dubai/uae) has the worse education system one would ever want their kids to be in.
please explain why
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:20 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Ok in all honesty my kids didn't register colour or background with friends in their uk school. And there were all types of kids: black, mixed race, Chinese, Thai, polish, French Indian. My kids never said anything about nationalities. They picked their friends cos they liked them.

Here? well my daughter got in our replacement hire car the other day and said "yuk, smells like Arabic people." it stank of cigarette smoke. That didn't bloody come from us. My son has come out with some awful remarks too- when I've asked he's admitted to various friends saying them. It's so bloody obvious how racist this place is, people are so open about it. It's in the damn fabric of the country. It's seeping into my kids and I can't stand it.

Anyway, probably not racism that the kid wasn't invited to the party. Although some school run mums can be punishing in their attitude to other parents and their offspring...
That's not racist, that's association based on the innocent mind of a child. They see and smell mostly Arabs smoking so they think that's how things are. Resolved easily by letting them know Arabs aren't the only people who smoke hehe.

I think we're often too careful about being seen as racist...racism is simply a state of mind, a view. It becomes a problem when it turns into discrimination.

Oh, and you're 100% right about some of the school run mums...I know out of 30 or so I see when I pick my son up from school only five or so even say hello when you pass them and make eye contact - still that's their problem not mine

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
That's not racist, that's association based on the innocent mind of a child. They see and smell mostly Arabs smoking so they think that's how things are. Resolved easily by letting them know Arabs aren't the only people who smoke hehe.

I think we're often too careful about being seen as racist...racism is simply a state of mind, a view. It becomes a problem when it turns into discrimination.

Oh, and you're 100% right about some of the school run mums...I know out of 30 or so I see when I pick my son up from school only five or so even say hello when you pass them and make eye contact - still that's their problem not mine

N.
I used to as a kid (under 10 years old) associate the smell of incense with Arabs especially Yemenis, as when I was little , our neighbours in Abu Dhabi were Yemeni Emiratis and I used to go hang out there sometimes.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
That used to annoy the hell out of me when we lived in the UAE and it still happens to some extent in Bahrain although not as much. What do these women think we're going to do as we politely say hello/hold doors open while holding our children's hands? Attack them? Come on to them? The rudeness and arrogance of that situation is incredible. And don't come to me saying it's a "cultural" thing, if that is their culture then they should think about raising their game about 5 centuries......
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute rubbish. I would much rather have my daughter go to a school here rather than one in most UK cities. Here its more relaxed like village schools back home, which suits me fine.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was the most racist student at my school. I refused to treat the few blacks as untouchable demi-gods.

Having a few nephews and godsons now it's a proper eye opener what little children will say - because they do see the world untouched by racism or political correction. They will see different groups of people as different because...tah de dah...they are different. Remember, at heart kids are nasty, mean little buggers in their honesty.

The Saffers are pretty similar in their frankness in referring to different races/nationalities. When I was first looking at flats in Dubai a Saffer coworker told me to avoid X building because too many Indians lived in it and I'd come home every day to the reek of curry. At first I thought it was a borderline racist statement until I went to view the apartment in the building, and sure enough, the whole place reeked of curry.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I was the most racist student at my school. I refused to treat the few blacks as untouchable demi-gods.

Having a few nephews and godsons now it's a proper eye opener what little children will say - because they do see the world untouched by racism or political correction. They will see different groups of people as different because...tah de dah...they are different. Remember, at heart kids are nasty, mean little buggers in their honesty.

The Saffers are pretty similar in their frankness in referring to different races/nationalities. When I was first looking at flats in Dubai a Saffer coworker told me to avoid X building because too many Indians lived in it and I'd come home every day to the reek of curry. At first I thought it was a borderline racist statement until I went to view the apartment in the building, and sure enough, the whole place reeked of curry.
That, IMHO, is not racist, it's stating a fact, which, sadly, in our overly pc society, will be labelled as racist.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

bollocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.