Reload this Page >

Qualifications for QS's in Dubai

Qualifications for QS's in Dubai

Old May 12th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

dalemcburnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications for QS's in Dubai

Hello,

I have looked into the possibility of working in Dubai or similar as a QS but without a degree I was led to believe that it would be unlikely, I have an HNC and 8/9 years experience in contracting and housebuilding.

If anyone can give me some indication to whether I have the quals to get a decent position out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dale
Old May 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Qualifications for QS's in Dubai

I am a QS, I came out here late last year and one of the requirements was that I had a degree. However I don't think every employer will require it. I was speaking with my boss last week and he was telling me that from his perspective having those qualifications don't always mean you're the best person for the job.

I suggest you should try contacting a few companies out here and speak with them direct to gauge a general opinion. You could even contact a recruitment company - I got my job through Hays International and they should be able to give you some information.
Old May 13th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Davedurdans is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same position. I am a QS with 4 years experience and I have a degree but not in surveying, in computing.

I have an NVQ in surveying (big deal [rolls eyes]) and can provide evidence of targets reached and passed on my projects.

Will I stand any chance of getting a job?
Old May 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Cabbage is an unknown quantity at this point

Both me and my husband are QSs (with our first offers received yesterday! Woohoo!) and we've been told by various agencies that degrees are essential.

We've been dealing with BBT and they've been pretty damn good, I'm sure they'd be able to give advice.

Good luck!
Old May 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Hmmmm who are BBT? Im new to this.

Also I'm looking at getting a diploma in surveying. I take it they won't budge on the whole surveying degree thing?
Old May 13th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Davedurdans
Hmmmm who are BBT? Im new to this.

Also I'm looking at getting a diploma in surveying. I take it they won't budge on the whole surveying degree thing?
Beresford Blake Thomas.

Also try Maxim and Michael Page.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

The annoying thing is even the intermediate surveyors must have a degree in it. I am well past the intermediate surveying level. Does that mean I cant even get that job???
Old May 13th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Desert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really niceDesert Rat is just really nice

I am a qs and I'm working in dubai as a commercial manager, I do not hold a degree. But i am qualified to FRICS which is recognised as equilvent.

Also, I have several work colleagues who are in qs positions without degrees. There is a massive demand for qs 's here, if you email your contact details i can put you in touch with good agents
Old May 13th 2008, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

dalemcburnie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just started to talk to Maxim, just trying to get as much information as i can together so all your feedback is great, as I understand it now, the degree is usually required as a work visa is easier to obtain for the company employing you however it can be overcome, as I get more info all post it for anyone else in the same position.

Cheers

Dale
Old May 14th 2008, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dalemcburnie
Hello,

I have looked into the possibility of working in Dubai or similar as a QS but without a degree I was led to believe that it would be unlikely, I have an HNC and 8/9 years experience in contracting and housebuilding.

If anyone can give me some indication to whether I have the quals to get a decent position out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dale
I work in recruitment specifically for QS's (and architects), so here are my thoughts from speaking with clients every day:

-9 out of 10 companies will want a degree
-Some wont even consider a BEng/BSc Cons Mgt/Civil Eng etc - has to be BSc Quantity Surveying
-Some wont consider someone without RICS, some will
-UK housebuilding experience isnt thought of massively highly by most companies - reason being it generally is not high value and not high rise. Most projects here are high value and high rise....
-there are exceptions to every rule it is about finding them

If anyone wants more info feel free to PM me, happy to have a chat on a casual basis no pressure just to give advice and see what you want to do

Cheers
Old May 14th 2008, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

sg800 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
I am a qs and I'm working in dubai as a commercial manager, I do not hold a degree. But i am qualified to FRICS which is recognised as equilvent.

Also, I have several work colleagues who are in qs positions without degrees. There is a massive demand for qs 's here, if you email your contact details i can put you in touch with good agents
I have a great commercial manager role that has just come up, PM me if you want more info
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

nzwalkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sg800
I have a great commercial manager role that has just come up, PM me if you want more info
Working in NZ for past 22 years. 15 years in Professional QS offices( first 8 in the UK, 7 in NZ), 15 years in Commercial Contracting last 13 years of which as CM with 10 QS's in Commercial Department and two support staff. Also Estimating Manager during the last 13 years. Quals, BSc Quantity Surveying, ANZIQS, Reg QS. Interested to hear of SCM opportunities.Time for a new challenge. Sorry can't send a PM as I don't have three posts! Maybe you can PM me back.
Regards
Neil Walker