Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Pearl - Gone Dry !!

Qatar Pearl - Gone Dry !!

Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Qatar Pearl - Gone Dry !!

Was in Doha yesterday. I quite liked bits of it, but can see what people say about the driving being much worse, the Qatari's being a bunch of helmets and the issues of boredom....
Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and pretty much like most newcomers I'm a little disconcerted about the negatives associated with life in Doha. If you look on qatarliving.com it is a one-stop shop for how virtuous and enjoyable life is out there, but now I'm not convinced.

I have the potential to work out there, depending on the result of a tendering exercise for World Cup related project work. It would be a relatively senior role with a decent income - I reckon circa 50,000QR basic? but is this enough? Even if this is "enough", one man's enough isn't the same as another's so it would be helpful to understand what lifestyle that would buy me? I am married with two young children, so I'm trying to take this move extremely seriously and need some sound advice.

Is it really so backward out there that people are simply counting the days to return to the UK? What is the typical cost of a lease car (4x4), dinner out, etc?

Grateful for any advice that you can give.

Many Thanks.
Don't be disconcerted , just be realistic . 50,000 QR is top level money , you'll do fine with that as a basic.
Make sure your package covers your schooling , housing etc , etc as if it doesn't the package becomes less attractive .

Qatar Living is not a good website for straight info , as the OP said it has less Western expat posters and your idea of a good life compared with a Filipino maids will vary quite widely .

On Doha itself , it's all been said before , boring , dull , mundane and a pain in the arse .
It's not a lifestyle choice just a plain money maker . You can still live a good life here as your very well compensated but do not expect Dubai / Abu Dhabi , you'll be left very disappointed indeed .

But saying that i'm typing this response from my villa in Krabi in Thailand and the thought of returning to Qatar on Tuesday is making me feel rather nauseous !

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrBAH
Hi guys,

Is it really so backward out there that people are simply counting the days to return to the UK? What is the typical cost of a lease car (4x4), dinner out, etc?

Grateful for any advice that you can give.

Many Thanks.
Certainly not counting the days to go back to UK - whatever Qatar beats UK for me. Dinner out (buffet with unlimited wine QR350/head). Good restaurant with a bottle of wine QR 250/head. Rental car QR 4000/month, saloon QR 2500/month. Lease is cheaper.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Certainly not counting the days to go back to UK - whatever Qatar beats UK for me. Dinner out (buffet with unlimited wine QR350/head). Good restaurant with a bottle of wine QR 250/head. Rental car QR 4000/month, saloon QR 2500/month. Lease is cheaper.
It does for all of us or we we'd just go back home . The bottom line is it's still a shite boring country .
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:50 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It does for all of us or we we'd just go back home . The bottom line is it's still a shite boring country .
Now you can't really argue with that