Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Wikiposts

Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I am not looking for an argument. I have clearly stated in my posts that other people have different opinions.

However, were I reading these posts without any knowledge of Qatar, I would have a very negative impression of the place.

I had a good time there, and am just stating that fact, with an indication of the activities I enjoyed. If you like similar activities, you will probably also like Qatar. If not, then it is probably not the place for you. Just trying to give some balance. There has always been a Gulf expat thing about 'boring' Qatar which I never understood.
Well, I do understand...as apparently quite a few other people do.
I also gave balance,as mentioned before, by posting different links, so she would be able to get different views.
And yes, I do like outdoor activities...for example, I went on a Dhow trip to Saffliya island last weekend. The toilet in Dhow(dhow only used for shipping tourists around) was full of poop, and had no water. The crew was very rude, not at all helpful or friendly. The island was not too bad, but no facilities at all, despite it being praised as a tourist spot. Etc., etc.
Now, all in all this is no big deal...but it portrays the best you can get in Qatar.
And since one pays top dollar for everything here, I think Qatar sucks. Khalas.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it's the same everywhere...some love it, some don't...
We get the same discussions about Dubai...you can only find out for yourself...sometimes it will only take meeting one friend that you hit it off with and you will feel good and have a great time in anotherwise dull place...
Name me a place that everybody loves...there isn't...
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:24 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

MH hits the nail on the head. There's good and there's bad. One needs to go to these places with a Positive Mental Attitude. ()

I've been to both Dubai and Doha, and on balance I preferred Doha because it's still not too big and isn't full of money/image-obsessed arseholes. In fact, I'm coming back to Doha...when they sort out the usual red-tape and visa issues.

(Not that everyone in Dubai is an arsehole, of course. Most of the peeps on here are quite nice, if a little scary )
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:10 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
MH hits the nail on the head. There's good and there's bad. One needs to go to these places with a Positive Mental Attitude. ()

I've been to both Dubai and Doha, and on balance I preferred Doha because it's still not too big and isn't full of money/image-obsessed arseholes. In fact, I'm coming back to Doha...when they sort out the usual red-tape and visa issues.

(Not that everyone in Dubai is an arsehole, of course. Most of the peeps on here are quite nice, if a little scary )
which ones are scary
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
which ones are scary
Stop stirring!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:25 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
which ones are scary
The ones that end up wearing stripey suits.
Old May 9th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

I'll say the same as I say to anyone considering expat life, wherever they are bound for........give it a shot, some like it, some don't.

We LOVED our time in Saudi and when we moved to Qatar, we thought it was paradise (booze barn, lovely local people etc) but 3 years down the line and I can say that if even Outer Mongolia came up, I'd be on hubby's case to take it. But that's me. There is a massive proportion of mumsy mums who seem to do little more than arrange playdates at JungleZone, run their kids to a gazillion after school activities and talk about little more than their 'precious little people' - bores me to the core.

However, there are other things to do and it's up to you the individual to make your time here, there, wherever, work for you and your family. Great Golf club, the rugby club can be fun, riding stables, horse racing during the winter, powerboats/motorcyle/tennis tournaments.

The roads are crap, the policing non existent (unless you count their fervent desire to hold up roundabouts in traffic calming exercises) the driving is bizarre and dangerous. The supermarkets are beyond useless unless they have had a shipment in lately.

BUT.........we have met some lovely people, the pace of life is slow and not too stressful, as long as you dont have to drive anywhere of course..lol.

THere, thats my monthly contribution to BE, as usual its a rant about Qatar lol. x
Old May 9th 2008, 8:10 pm
Excess Baggage

Yeah, what is that thing with police at roundabouts? I think they actually make the congestion worse! When I was driving back from Ras Laffan last week they (heavily armed this time) blocked off loads of roundabouts and stopped all the traffic. I think someone important passed through.