Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:52 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
JJJ75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Hi

I will be moving to Qatar to be with Hubby in the next couple of months. He already has experience of living out there and does not really paint such a rosy picture - drinking, things to do culturally, so I am prepared for the worst.

I will also be giving up a nice job to be with him, and was looking for some positive comments about living there. I had also hoped to work too, but the hours are quite frankly daunting (my husband for instance works 12 hour days x 6).

The positives for me are his package is pretty decent also we get accommodation, car, health insurance and flights back to the UK.

Please note that it is too late to change our minds, unfortunately my husband did not get a choice about going, his company used the carrot and stick approach, which proved most effective.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I don't really have a choice about going and want to approach it in the most positive way.

Apologies for the long post, I am new to this kind of thing (middle east and posting), any help anyone can give me would be great.

JJJ75

ps I have already been on the qatar living website if anyone suggests it, I was looking for your thoughts as you all seem to have the skinny as they say.
JJJ75 is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:02 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
CeeBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 656
CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by JJJ75 View Post
Hi

I will be moving to Qatar to be with Hubby in the next couple of months. He already has experience of living out there and does not really paint such a rosy picture - drinking, things to do culturally, so I am prepared for the worst.

I will also be giving up a nice job to be with him, and was looking for some positive comments about living there. I had also hoped to work too, but the hours are quite frankly daunting (my husband for instance works 12 hour days x 6).

The positives for me are his package is pretty decent also we get accommodation, car, health insurance and flights back to the UK.

Please note that it is too late to change our minds, unfortunately my husband did not get a choice about going, his company used the carrot and stick approach, which proved most effective.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I don't really have a choice about going and want to approach it in the most positive way.

Apologies for the long post, I am new to this kind of thing (middle east and posting), any help anyone can give me would be great.

JJJ75

ps I have already been on the qatar living website if anyone suggests it, I was looking for your thoughts as you all seem to have the skinny as they say.
I don't know Qatar and don't know where your emmigrating from but...if its the UK the list of pro's are endless....where do you begin?

I'll start...feel free to add;

1) Weather (obviously)
2) Security (not getting burgled, carjacked, mugged, shot, stabbed, punched)
3) Tax
CeeBee is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:09 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

make sure you get the multiple entry/exit visas. Otherwise you will have to ask permission every time you want to leave Qatar.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:10 am
  #4  
Here comes the Sun
 
twinkle-star's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 3,478
twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Hiya

I am not in Qatar, in Abu Dhabi but have talked to loads of women and this seems to be the general norm when you first arrive in a new place and hubby is starting a new job....

Take loads of books...get t.v as soon as poss, attend a coffee morning once a week...and live your life on the internet.

Oh and avoid hubby for an hour when he first comes in from work and is grumpy (youll be temped to chatter but dont it wont sink in anyway) put food and beer in front of him and back away. Make sure you dont leave it longer then an hour you may have a half hour window before he falls asleep on the couch.
twinkle-star is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:15 am
  #5  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
Hiya

I am not in Qatar, in Abu Dhabi but have talked to loads of women and this seems to be the general norm when you first arrive in a new place and hubby is starting a new job....

Take loads of books...get t.v as soon as poss, attend a coffee morning once a week...and live your life on the internet.

Oh and avoid hubby for an hour when he first comes in from work and is grumpy (youll be temped to chatter but dont it wont sink in anyway) put food and beer in front of him and back away. Make sure you dont leave it longer then an hour you may have a half hour window before he falls asleep on the couch.
lol...don't forget to make him a little buffet with fingerfoods for him to nibble on...
MataHari is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:16 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Chris79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,575
Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
lol...don't forget to make him a little buffet with fingerfoods for him to nibble on...

Perfect wife material
Where have you been all my life
Chris79 is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:17 am
  #7  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post

Perfect wife material
Where have you been all my life
we've all been to the Twinkle star school of good houskeeping, Stepford branch...
MataHari is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:18 am
  #8  
Here comes the Sun
 
twinkle-star's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 3,478
twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
lol...don't forget to make him a little buffet with fingerfoods for him to nibble on...
Youre just like an elephant Matta....... Do you ever forget anything????
Leave my buffets alone.........


Might do a buffet for the cats birthdays soon ...
twinkle-star is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:18 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
shakh your bootie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: By the old canal...
Posts: 7,715
shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post

Perfect wife material
Where have you been all my life
Do they still make women like that ????
shakh your bootie is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:19 am
  #10  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
Youre just like an elephant Matta....... Do you ever forget anything????
Leave my buffets alone.........


Might do a buffet for the cats birthdays soon ...
put my 5 on the guestlist please...and start expressing milk
MataHari is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:21 am
  #11  
Here comes the Sun
 
twinkle-star's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Here
Posts: 3,478
twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
put my 5 on the guestlist please...and start expressing milk
You are turning into a scary cat lady Mata.......
twinkle-star is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:25 am
  #12  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,920
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by twinkle-star View Post
You are turning into a scary cat lady Mata.......
I know...I have decided to ditch my lovey dovey mumsy image
MataHari is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:42 am
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
shakh your bootie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: By the old canal...
Posts: 7,715
shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by JJJ75 View Post
Hi

I will be moving to Qatar to be with Hubby in the next couple of months. He already has experience of living out there and does not really paint such a rosy picture - drinking, things to do culturally, so I am prepared for the worst.

I will also be giving up a nice job to be with him, and was looking for some positive comments about living there. I had also hoped to work too, but the hours are quite frankly daunting (my husband for instance works 12 hour days x 6).

The positives for me are his package is pretty decent also we get accommodation, car, health insurance and flights back to the UK.

Please note that it is too late to change our minds, unfortunately my husband did not get a choice about going, his company used the carrot and stick approach, which proved most effective.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I don't really have a choice about going and want to approach it in the most positive way.

Apologies for the long post, I am new to this kind of thing (middle east and posting), any help anyone can give me would be great.

JJJ75

ps I have already been on the qatar living website if anyone suggests it, I was looking for your thoughts as you all seem to have the skinny as they say.
Sorry, Ms JJJ - the thread has gone a little off-topic.

So you're putting a brave face on a move that you're not that keen to make - good for you!

We have a couple of posters on here from Qatar - I'm sure they can give you some advice. An old Uni friend of mine works out there - it really isn't that bad; he seems to have fun & is happy there.

Good Luck - if you have any specific questions, ask away....
shakh your bootie is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:45 am
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 13
JJJ75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Hi

thanks for your replies, we are already coming up against the visa problem, my husband has been trying for a couple of weeks to get 4 signatures to come back to the UK in May- proving to be a nightmare.

Actually the weather is putting me off a bit, I quite like the rain and unusually for a Brit, I never complain about the weather.

Also, I grew up in HK and as my husband never fails to mentions to me Qatar ain't HK!!!

What I want to know is what are the normal working hours there, I have already had a phone interview and they are eager to meet up and discuss terms, but the hours are really putting me off - any help here from anyone??

Thanks again for your replies.


JJJ75
JJJ75 is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:57 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,675
Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar - Moving to be with Hubby

Originally Posted by JJJ75 View Post
Hi

thanks for your replies, we are already coming up against the visa problem, my husband has been trying for a couple of weeks to get 4 signatures to come back to the UK in May- proving to be a nightmare.

Actually the weather is putting me off a bit, I quite like the rain and unusually for a Brit, I never complain about the weather.

Also, I grew up in HK and as my husband never fails to mentions to me Qatar ain't HK!!!

What I want to know is what are the normal working hours there, I have already had a phone interview and they are eager to meet up and discuss terms, but the hours are really putting me off - any help here from anyone??

Thanks again for your replies.


JJJ75
Hmmm, working hours depend on the job and who you are working for.
Qatar is a dump, no question about it.
What exactly do you want to know?
Been here over 3 years, sadly, and yes, life on the net is rather common here....btw. QL is your best source of info here and ,scarily, for entertainment. You'll get used to it though, desperation makes strange bedfellows.
Alexa is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.