Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Public Holidays in December

Public Holidays in December

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:17 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Public Holidays in December

Originally Posted by Eva
Then again was it Paul Morrell at the Mill on the Floss or the lost soldier in The Rainbow ...poor poor boys at the hands of war and DH Lawrence.
You've been eating too much fish...I am lost now.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:19 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You've been eating too much fish...I am lost now.
Ha.....only on a Friday.

You are Northern.You got great poets and novelists uuuup there
You must have studied DH Lawrence at least...
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:34 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Ha.....only on a Friday.

You are Northern.You got great poets and novelists uuuup there
You must have studied DH Lawrence at least...
Nah, I once watched 'Women in Love' at university, but it became apparent it was not sticking to the script. I still enjoyed it though.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:38 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I once watched 'Women in Love' at university, but it became apparent it was not sticking to the script. I still enjoyed it though.

truly scrumpious(sp) Oliver was.
Where was that then.... Uni wise?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where's my Karma?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:10 pm
Big Member

Originally Posted by Eva
Where's my Karma?
I've got to spread a bitta lurve around...trying me best.

....Salford.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:22 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've got to spread a bitta lurve around...trying me best.

....Salford.

You are a teacher then.....karma queue still not showing friend from the North........youlittleliar
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough, eh? I spent 7 years doing 6 days a week at school...and according to me parents it did no harm.

Perhaps that is why the world is going to shit? You are worried about your kids losing 3 days in a term??? Give me a break.
When your girls are committed to ballet and this place is so lacking in the arts it's not funny, missing three saturdays before exams is a huge chunk of the term. That's nine ballet lessons between them they would lose. The 9 year old is doing two graded exams and has never fallen below a Distinction and I don't want this to be the first time. She's really upset by the lack of a ballet community here.

The five year old is so knackered by the end of the week that she needs two days to recover. Perhaps you'd like me to send them down the pits at 12 like they did in your day too.

Last edited by Kim67; Nov 22nd 2008 at 2:19 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone syhould get the following off:

Tuesday December 2nd [UAE National Day]
Sunday - Tuesday December 7th, 8th and 9th [Eid al-Adha - Feast of the Sacrifice]
Monday December 29th [Al-Hijra - Islamic New Year]
National Day is ALWAYS TWO days (in UAE 2-3 Dec, Bahrain 16-17 Dec, etc - all over the region).

Eid should be 7, 8 and 9 Dec as a minimum (it's the whole week 6th-10th over here, at least officially).

I of course intend to have it off on all of those days..........
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

the british school in ad is only taking off the national day and eid days, they have asked not to take off the extra day that is planned for national day and the extra day planned for eid, (so they can make it a long weekend etc), in order to minimise the disruption to the kids (they did have a longer holiday over half term/eid last month!) and so then they dont have to affect the other holidays in the academic year so they will not be doing 2-11th dec like most of the other schools are doing. private companies give less holidays than public, especially construction companies (usually)
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
National Day is ALWAYS TWO days (in UAE 2-3 Dec, Bahrain 16-17 Dec, etc - all over the region).
Since when? We have only ever got the one day off in Dubai since we have been here. It was the same in Jeddah for 8 years too. What is the logic behind the 2-3 day scenario?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
When your girls are committed to ballet and this place is so lacking in the arts it's not funny, missing three saturdays before exams is a huge chunk of the term. That's nine ballet lessons between them they would lose. The 9 year old is doing two graded exams and has never fallen below a Distinction and I don't want this to be the first time. She's really upset by the lack of a ballet community here.

The five year old is so knackered by the end of the week that she needs two days to recover. Perhaps you'd like me to send them down the pits at 12 like they did in your day too.
They can come and shift 30kg boxes at my warehouse..

And yep, the wages are still at 1950's rates - twopence a day.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
Since when? We have only ever got the one day off in Dubai since we have been here. It was the same in Jeddah for 8 years too. What is the logic behind the 2-3 day scenario?
same here we have only had 1 day off, maybe it is the government who get two.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I did boarding school for 5.5 days a week (half day Saturday). It's not bad, because if you're a boarding student, there's not much to do on the weekends except get up to trouble. Plus, for me, 8-12 goes by a lot quicker than 12-4.

My company is giving us the EID, plus Christmas, Islamic New Year's and normal New Year's off. Not Boxing day, however, as that's on a Friday.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:04 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone syhould get the following off:

Tuesday December 2nd [UAE National Day]
Sunday - Tuesday December 7th, 8th and 9th [Eid al-Adha - Feast of the Sacrifice]
Monday December 29th [Al-Hijra - Islamic New Year]
are these days off also dry??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.