psychiatry in KSA

Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice
Default psychiatry in KSA

I'd like to see a psychiatrist or possibly a therapist or counselor of some kind, but I don't know if these services are available in Saudi Arabia. I wasn't seeing anyone back home and I'm not on any meds or anything, but I've been having sort of a hard time and I'd like to seek some professional help.

Are there psychiatric doctors one can see in this country? Ideally a Western doctor, or someone who is used to seeing Western patients?

I live in Khobar, can anyone recommend a person or a place in this part of the kingdom? Does anyone have any experience with psychiatry in the KSA?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:05 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: psychiatry in KSA

I personally doubt that psychiatry in the KSA is anything like what you may have experienced back in Houston, Texas. If I were you, I would give it a very wide berth and try and resolve your issues somehow else.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

http://saudipsych.org/eng/ may be of some help.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:51 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yrsammit
I'd like to see a psychiatrist or possibly a therapist or counselor of some kind, but I don't know if these services are available in Saudi Arabia. I wasn't seeing anyone back home and I'm not on any meds or anything, but I've been having sort of a hard time and I'd like to seek some professional help.

Are there psychiatric doctors one can see in this country? Ideally a Western doctor, or someone who is used to seeing Western patients?

I live in Khobar, can anyone recommend a person or a place in this part of the kingdom? Does anyone have any experience with psychiatry in the KSA?

Thanks in advance.
It's probably a form of witchcraft over there, I'd be careful.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:54 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good friend who had multiple problems including alcoholism. He was travelling from Oman where he lived and worked to Dubai by car and lost it just before the border. He was hospitalised and spent some time with the psychiatrist there - who was a Saudi I think - certainly an Arab.

This doctor researched his case and found out that his (albeit few) episodes ocurred on the same day of the year and they concluded that it all related to something that happened in his childhood about 20 years previously but my friend did not want to unearth it. The doctor in the UK never twigged to this.

This happened a few years ago now and after that he is still an alcoholic - but functions as an FD of a company quite effectively (time being). Previously you could not get him near a plane without him being really too pissed to travel and weeks after his stay in hospital he was quite happy to fly.

It may well be witchcraft, and it was certainly strange - not the least because he was never charged for 2.5 weeks in hospital because he was travelling!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
It's probably a form of witchcraft over there, I'd be careful.
Well, if it is anything like Qatar it should be ace...see, over here they claim to "cure" gay people! Imagine that!

Jokes aside, I am sure they have some capable docs over there. After all, there is a lot drug/ alcohol/tablet dependency in Saudi. If they are Western, well, no idea. From what I remember, a lot of Western docs had left Saudi and were replaced with non Western. Don't know what the situation is now though.

Best to do to some hospitals and ask.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what kind of therapy you are looking for and the type of counselling you want need.

If you're interested in Solution Focus Brief Therapy, drop me a PM.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

Hey guys, just a brief update.

I visited a local hospital, one I'd been to just for regular sickness. They had two psychiatrists on staff. I was hoping since it was at the same hospital that insurance would cover it, but looks like it won't. I made an appointment though. So just for future reference, if anyone's ever looking for a shrink you can probably find them at whatever large/multi-service hospital you usually go to.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:57 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Even though your health insurance doesn't cover the hospital, your insurer probably has details of psychiatrists; if not, perhaps someone you know has cover by a different insurer which will have a list.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:51 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just pay for the treatment?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Kiqzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I work for Bupa Arabia, which is an insurance co in Saudi Arabia, i have a solid medical back ground and my answer to you is YES there are plenty of good doctors,

I would advice you to check with SAAD Hospital, if you could travel to Jeddah, i would advice you to visit Dr.Soliman Fakeeh Hospital, there is a very good Egyptian Doctor,

i have an email address of a UK based psychiatrist that i can send you his email and have a live video conference, he would be very happy to assist you,

need any help, just email me

thanks