Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Property Law provides only partial relief

Property Law provides only partial relief

Old Sep 15th 2005, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Post Property Law provides only partial relief

Dubai's much awaited new property law will only deal with some of the issues faced by non nationals according to Essam Al Tamimi - partner in a leading local law firm.

The new law will in the first phase of implementation cover such things as

1. land registration
2. title, mortgage
3. Sale transfer and issuing title for non nationals

It will not cover issues relating to common areas, issues of association, service charges or secondary market sale of property.

Clarity and regulation on key issues, such as service charges - which are currently unregulated could potentially leave buyers exposed to huge additional expenses. This may be dealt with in the second phase implementation, but unlikely to be any time soon.

IG
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:01 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property Law provides only partial relief

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
but unlikely to be any time soon.
Ditto above..

It would be a good thing if/when it comes however (not being too cynical) I'm not going to be holding my breath....

We should start a book on when the law actual does get implemented as law on the statute books. 50AED in and all pick a month from now til the end of 2006 say 2006 might be a bit optimistic), winner takes all....
Old Sep 17th 2005, 6:28 am
W10

Is there regulation on service charges in the UK?

I was living in an apartment building in London a couple of years ago and they put the service charge up by 35% one year. What were our options

1, Move
2, Form a residents committee, wait six months, do surveys, get 75% (olr something) of the residents to agree to your plan, then attempt to buy the freehold of the building and form our own management company. Something nigh on impossible in a complex with 150 apartments.

Old Sep 17th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Is there regulation on service charges in the UK?

I was living in an apartment building in London a couple of years ago and they put the service charge up by 35% one year. What were our options

1, Move
2, Form a residents committee, wait six months, do surveys, get 75% (olr something) of the residents to agree to your plan, then attempt to buy the freehold of the building and form our own management company. Something nigh on impossible in a complex with 150 apartments.
I've had similar experiences in the UK- eventually the residents got the freeholder to change the management company, but the new one wasn't a lot better. Quick to take the maintenance charge, slow to fix things. Maintenance charges are going to become an increasingly important factor in the Dubai property market but I don't see how it could be effectively regulated by law.

Where does Essam Al Tamimi get his facts from anyway, or is this just somebody looking for a bit of free publicity for his law firm? Wow, I'm getting really cynical since I moved to Dubai...