Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The property apocalypse draws closer...

The property apocalypse draws closer...

Old May 30th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The property apocalypse draws closer...

Originally Posted by W10
It is possible to make a building last longer - but you have to spend money at the beginning. It makes more sense to make an apartment block last longer as it is more expensive to rebuild.

As for build quality at the Springs. Nothing short of shocking. I had the misfortune to live in Springs 3 for a while. My downstairs toilet was installed at an angle, every single time it rained my villa leaked, before I left I had two wall to ceiling cracks downstairs etc etc (it was brand new when I moved in)

The Trade Centre has had an enormous amount of money spent on it in terms of maintainance, huge sums. They also want to pull it down...which would be a real shame.
agree, i live in springs 2 and there is NO WAY i would fork out 1 penny of my hard earned to live there, rent or buy

its superficially ok, but when you look a little closer, its falling apart........
Old May 30th 2007, 9:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

My husband used to work for a water pump company - and was often quoting for all these tower blocks - never got any big jobs cos he sold a high quality product. The contractors answer was once it is signed over to the owner it is their problem, the water pumps in the most of the buildings in the marina and other new developments are substandard and won't last many years. Unless good quality stuff is written into the actual plans it won't happen. He now works for an anti corrosion company who go round putting anti corrosion onto all the crap pumps that were installed a few years back!!
Old May 30th 2007, 10:01 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the Sheik Rashid building at Defence has only been there for just over 20 years, and look at the state of that, never mind the Toyota Building, both are going to be pullled down early next year. However, I must say that buildings now I hope are built to a much better quality!!!
Oh no what about the British Tandoori
Old May 30th 2007, 10:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Oh no what about the British Tandoori
God knows!!! we better ring them and find out
Old May 30th 2007, 10:04 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

God knows!!! we better ring them and find out
Maybe I can entice them up to one of the empty units at Silicon
Old May 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Concierge

Maybe I can entice them up to one of the empty units at Silicon
you never know or International City!
Old May 30th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

well the smell of old disgarded curries will be a breath of fresh air for that cesspit
Old May 30th 2007, 10:09 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
well the smell of old disgarded curries will be a breath of fresh air for that cesspit
true but very handy for Fairy when she invites us all round for a curry night and a dip in the pool
Old May 30th 2007, 10:13 am
Its all good

true but very handy for Fairy when she invites us all round for a curry night and a dip in the pool
Of course and with MMI open now we're laughing
Old May 30th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

You made the 666th post...forget being a cat, you are one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse...
Old May 30th 2007, 10:17 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by expat.brat
You made the 666th post...forget being a cat, you are one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse...
Nothing unusual there my birthday is on the 6th of the 6th remember???
Old May 30th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

The building in which I am currently staying was built in 1996 - the quality is amazing - not a single crack, no problems with the build quality at all - I don't see any reason why it cannot last another 50-60 year(?). The Al Ghurair mall and apartment complex was built in 1981 and is still going strong.

Most old buildings now are being knocked down (Karama, Deira, Bur Dubai) - not so much because of quality (they are shappy and unkempt no doubt - but appear to be structurally sound) but because you will find they are only 3-7 storeys tall, whereas now they could build many more floors and earn much more income per sq foot.

I guess they will knock down the Trade Centre apartments along SZR next - they do look out of place standing next to all those skyscrapers
Old May 30th 2007, 1:55 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
The building in which I am currently staying was built in 1996 - the quality is amazing - not a single crack, no problems with the build quality at all - I don't see any reason why it cannot last another 50-60 year(?). The Al Ghurair mall and apartment complex was built in 1981 and is still going strong.

Most old buildings now are being knocked down (Karama, Deira, Bur Dubai) - not so much because of quality (they are shappy and unkempt no doubt - but appear to be structurally sound) but because you will find they are only 3-7 storeys tall, whereas now they could build many more floors and earn much more income per sq foot.

I guess they will knock down the Trade Centre apartments along SZR next - they do look out of place standing next to all those skyscrapers
Hey IG did you find out anything about those Emaar properties in Turkey?
Old May 30th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Hey IG did you find out anything about those Emaar properties in Turkey?
Sorry, I forgot I was really busy at work and it completely skipped my mind. Shall find out tomorrow if we have any details....
Old May 30th 2007, 2:01 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Sorry, I forgot I was really busy at work and it completely skipped my mind. Shall find out tomorrow if we have any details....
No probs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.