Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Potential Move To Qatar - Is it enough?

Potential Move To Qatar - Is it enough?

Old Jun 2nd 2022, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

RossF1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Potential Move To Qatar - Is it enough?

Hi,

I am new here and looking for some advice on a potential move to Qatar.

I have just been offered a position that includes being accompanied by my family (Wife and 2 boys 13 & 17).

Total yearly compensation is a tad over 330000QAR but my package also includes schooling costs for both children, private medical and a one-time relocation payment of just over 31000QAR.

First off, is this enough for us to enjoy life in Qatar? My Wife would be looking to gain employment whilst in Qatar so obviously our disposable income would increase. We don’t lead overly extravagant lives in the UK but like to go out a few times a month (restaurant, cinema, etc.)

We would be looking to rent somewhere but with rent prices appearing to be extortionate in Qatar at the minute we don’t want to be living to work, we want to work to live. We currently mortgage a 4 bedroom detached house in the UK and would be willing to downsize but wouldn’t want to live in shoebox.

I have spent time in a lot of the Middle East having worked in KSA but my Wife and children stayed at home.

Any help, advice, pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

R
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Potential Move To Qatar - Is it enough?

Since schooling is already included then it’s a decent offer even if your other half didn’t work. Accommodation will be around QAR 10-12k/m for a 2-3 bed apartment so from the remaining 20k you should easily save at least half of that each month - provided you don’t live an extravagant lifestyle. For me Qatar is a proper old school Gulf country - has less pretentious w@nkers than Dubai and less chop chop than Saudi.

Last edited by psychopomp1; Jun 2nd 2022 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
Since schooling is already included then it’s a decent offer even if your other half didn’t work. Accommodation will be around QAR 10-12k/m for a 2-3 bed apartment so from the remaining 20k you should easily save at least half of that each month - provided you don’t live an extravagant lifestyle. For me Qatar is a proper old school Gulf country - has less pretentious w@nkers than Dubai and less chop chop than Saudi.
Thanks for your reply.

What's it like running a car in Qatar? I know fuel is cheap compared to the UK but is "car finance" such a thing? Is servicing, etc reasonable? We will have to have one as "work" is outside of Doha.

Is compound living recommended? And are there any areas that should be avoided?

Thanks,

R
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Is schooling fully funded or is it capped?

With two children in secondary and presuming the eldest is doing A-levels, I'd be thinking very carefully about the quality of schooling. What is the plan for the eldest? Will you need to pay university fees as non-residents?
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

So I have just re-read my offer. School fees are paid up to 60000QAR per child. After a brief look it appears that this should be sufficient to cover it at a few of the "British" schools.

What the eldest will do after is one of our concerns as unsure on options around going to Uni in Qatar?
Old Jun 6th 2022, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RossF1984
So I have just re-read my offer. School fees are paid up to 60000QAR per child. After a brief look it appears that this should be sufficient to cover it at a few of the "British" schools.

What the eldest will do after is one of our concerns as unsure on options around going to Uni in Qatar?
You get what you pay for. The better ones will be more than 60.

Qatar bribed a number of western universities to open satellite campuses, which are mainly concentrated in a new and very dusty university quarter on the outskirts of Doha. Most students will be Qatari. I strongly doubt you will get school fees to help with the cost of university and will need to be funded out of pocket. Most British kids go back to the UK for university. Whether the local options in Qatar are suitable for your needs is beyond what I can advise. Qatar really is not an endearing place and I can't fathom being a university student in Doha, but on the other hand, I can see how it could allow a kid who needs a few more years to mature a reasonably safe environment under watchful eyes before being kicked out into the world.
Old Jun 7th 2022, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I have thrown these rough monthly figures (in QAR) together for the cost of living out in Qatar. If anyone has any that I may have missed or could advise on better feel free to share. As stated previously Medical and Schooling fees are provided.

Internet
Car
Mobiles
Dog Saving
Food
Fuel
Car Ins
Utilities

This is based on a family of 4 with dog and a moderately priced car/rental accommodation. The "Dog Saving" is just something to put aside as as far as I can ascertain Pet Insurance does not exist in Qatar?

Thanks,

R

Last edited by RossF1984; Jun 7th 2022 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Table didn't load.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar is in a transitional status now, as everything is on hold until the world cup is over. I am not sure about your exit plans, but I would be very cautious before moving to Qatar this year. Mind you Qatar is the only GCC country that until now did not implement the VAT, but I guess they wait until the World Cup in over to do it. The decision was made long time ago and people were expecting it by the end of last year. If this happen after world cup, you need to account for -12% into your budget.
The 330k per year is OK, but depends on your qualifications and experience. I am not sure in which field/industry your prospective job is. As for housing, everything is expensive because of World Cup but I expect a free fall after it.
As for schools, 60k is very good as the majority of places do not pay that much except for QF, which pays in full. You can get your kids in a good British school like Doha College or Sherborne Qatar for something around 70k QAR if they are at A-Level or GCSE, so you need a top up of 10k each. If VAT is implemented, you need to top up 12% of the 70k.
Old Jun 12th 2022, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

12345678 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moved to Qatar less than 3 months ago and housing has gone through the roof. My one bedroom apartment in the pearl is 11,500 excluding bills and is only semi-furnished. If I had booked it 3 weeks earlier, the rent would've been 8000 a month excluding bills with one month free rent. The landlords are also trying to lock you in for 2 years to get high rent long after the world cup. There is little supply of properties and there's also instances of landlords serving notice on the entire block of apartments or compound with 2 months notice as they got deal to rent for world cup.

Cars are expensive too, they have gone up. Depends what car you're after.

In general, cost of living is much higher than before. Not sure what industry you work in to justify if your offer is decent.